Current Page: 6 of 30
Re: International Enlightenment Fellowship/Andrew Cohen
Posted by: Stoic ()
Date: March 13, 2010 07:48AM

If Cohen is looking for smaller premises does that indicate a falling away of followers and interest?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: corboy ()
Date: March 15, 2010 11:27PM

Date: March 15, 2010 11:43PM

Further dialogue:

[indistinctunion.wordpress.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2010 11:43PM by corboy.

Date: March 16, 2010 11:27PM

Snippits from an article:

[worldwidehappiness.blogspot.com]

Regarding your statement about accepting “absolute rules of hierarchy, reward, punishment, success, failure, pride and humiliation, mentors (gurus?) and enemies”, I’d say that is a very low, instinctual, unintelligent, rudimentary forms of functioning unworthy of higher spiritual endeavour. And the rules, etc., are not accepted absolutely in the situations you mention. Everyone fudges, takes breaks, etc., otherwise it would be unbearable.

Another point is that I don’t understand why Andrew’s enlightenment consisted of Papaji whispering sweet nothings into Andrew’s ear for 5 minutes, but your enlightenment required 10+ years of control, obedience, slappings, etc., which still didn’t work!

It just looks obvious that Andrew’s ego reared up and took control of the life process after his ideals were shattered when Papaji said bad things about Andrew behind his back. (By the way, I saw Andrew say bad things about someone in Bodhgaya, then flat out deny it, exactly like Papaji. That’s human nature.)

Guru-Talk Person: “It seems many people have a problem with the idea of a strong and independent individual voluntarily accepting another human being's "absolute rule."”*

By definition, a strong and independent individual would not accept another person’s absolute rule. It’s a straightforward contradiction. Also, a strong and independent person wouldn’t need another person’s absolute rule over them.

-------------------------------------

Corboy note:

Id suggest reading yet again, Umberto Eco's article on Ur-Fascism. This, IMO is the hidden Operating System code on which toxic sectors of what I call Integralist Fascism operates.

The take home lesson is, if you are interested in any sort of Integral project, make sure supports actual humane life and social relations and does not contain any of the 14 features listed by Umberto Eco.

Eco lists 14 points, and notes "In spite of some fuzziness regarding the difference between various historical forms of fascism, I think it is possible to outline a list of features that are typical of what I would like to call Ur-Fascism, or Eternal Fascism. These features cannot be organized into a system; many of them contradict each other, and are also typical of other kinds of despotism or fanaticism. But it is enough that one of them be present to allow fascism to coagulate around it. "

9. For Ur-Fascism there is no struggle for life but, rather, life is lived for struggle.

Thus pacifism is trafficking with the enemy. It is bad because life is permanent warfare. This, however, brings about an Armageddon complex. Since enemies have to be defeated, there must be a final battle, after which the movement will have control of the world. But such "final solutions" implies a further era of peace, a Golden Age, which contradicts the principle of permanent war. No fascist leader has ever succeeded in solving this predicament.

10. Elitism is a typical aspect of any reactionary ideology, insofar as it is fundamentally aristocratic, and aristocratic and militaristic elitism cruelly implies contempt for the weak.

Ur-Fascism can only advocate a popular elitism. Every citizen belongs to the best people in the world, the members or the party are the best among the citizens, every citizen can (or ought to) become a member of the party. But there cannot be patricians without plebeians. In fact, the Leader, knowing that his power was not delegated to him democratically but was conquered by force, also knows that his force is based upon the weakness of the masses; they are so weak as to need and deserve a ruler.

11. In such a perspective everybody is educated to become a hero.

In every mythology the hero is an exceptional being, but in Ur-Fascist ideology heroism is the norm. This cult of heroism is strictly linked with the cult of death. It is not by chance that a motto of the Spanish Falangists was Viva la Muerte ("Long Live Death!"). In nonfascist societies, the lay public is told that death is unpleasant but must be faced with dignity; believers are told that it is the painful way to reach a supernatural happiness. By contrast, the Ur-Fascist hero craves heroic death, advertised as the best reward for a heroic life. The Ur-Fascist hero is impatient to die. In his impatience, he more frequently sends other people to death.

The entire article deserves re-reading

[www.themodernword.com]
There is no such thing as absolute rule, unless one contends there should be total power and zero accountability.

Unfortunately, for civilized society, the danger potential is too great. Even when dogs fight, they know when to stop. It is only when sadistic humans pervert dog fighting into a blood sport that dogs rip each other to shreds.

If Andrew Cohen had treated one dog the way he has reportedly trained students to treat one another, his career as a teacher would have ended long ago, due to social outcry.

We can more quickly reach consensus on whats wrong to do to dogs, yet argue endlessly that the same treatment is good for people.

This double standard is, to me, astounding.

A good number of people do not 'have a problem' with 'a strong and independent individual voluntarily accepting another human being's absolute rule"-- they solve that issue consciously, through the medium of BDSM kink. And the reason it works is there all parties agree, up front that they want to play with power, hierarchy domination and submission, and negotiate, up front, and before hand, how to begin and end a scene, and what safe words are to be used if a dominated person is being taken beyond his or her ability to hold, contain and work with the energies and emotions unleashed.

And in kink, unlike the New Age unconscious fascist arena, the person who takes the dominent role also accepts accountability for his or her role and power in relation to the person or persons being dominated.

That is why, in the BDSM community, where dominence is accompanied by commensurate accountability, it has become proverbial that there are fewer 'tops' than there are 'bottoms.'

But in guru world, where there is total power for the guru and zero accountability, there are loads of wanna be gurus (tops).

The problem is not domination and submission, but the lack of accountability and pre-arranged safe words for the 'scene.'

Again, to conclude, the take home lesson is, if you are interested in any sort of project or material that has the term 'Integral' in it, read up on the background pay attention to the actual behavior and beliefs of its practitionres and see whether they manifest any of the 14 features in Umberto Eco's diagnostic criteria for Ur Fascism.

For if any of those 14 features are present, you risk being coarsened.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2010 11:37PM by corboy.

Date: April 10, 2010 10:46PM

Insights from another group provided by a former member named Macumazahn

posted march 31 and april 9th 2010 about a different group. It is amazing the similarities between groups with different leaders, different histories similarities not in doctrine, but the impact on devotees' inner lives.

[forum.culteducation.com]

Even now, when I am adamantly certain never to be devoted to my tormentor again, never to be under his or anybodies control like that anew, I still often wonder: What if we could somehow avoid all the bad stuff, all the manipulations, controlling, psychological terror, hurting, attempted erasing of my personality, etc., if we could circumvent all that, would it not be a good thing to be able to talk to him again? To profit from his wisdom? To have that, which originally prompted my initial devotion to him in my life again, without the binding, abusive, and destructive rest? But then I realise that first, this will never happen, not as it is supposed to; second, his wisdom was actually not that great, sure, smart and in many ways learned, but not of any particular devotion demanding greatness, nothing unheard of really; and third, that my devotion hence was never truly based on anything but his manipulation, his self-propaganda, his own deluded image of self, and that was not precisely honest nor was it in any way ever justified, let alone realistic. He was not and will never be ‘The measure of all things’!

And still that nagging desire to be close to him, to profit of his knowledge, to have the (very questionable) safety and ease he seemed to provide in my life again remains. It is an inconsistency of outrageous proportions, for he manipulated, controlled, and ruled my life in a manner filled with abuse both mentally and emotionally, even physically (beatings possible due to our group-structure) that brought me to the brink of mental and emotional annihilation, the utter destruction of anything that made me who I truly am. All I ever was to him was a tool to his ends, a plaything for his self-glory, to caress his ego; my actual devotion hardly interested him in any other way than as a dictated flattery and he would never have responded with the recognition I desired and hoped for; only the effect it had on me, the susceptibility and malleability it created in me was of any worth to him.

For more than twenty years in total, my personality was first suppressed and damaged to suit those ends, then only slowly recovering; even to this day, I still find myself flinching, shying away from unexpected touch, and in many cases at a loss in some apparently normal human interactions. Healing takes a long time, especially when you have to go the distance alone, but my experiences so far show me that it will come in time. Maybe there are some scars left in the end, some irrational and inexplicable bursts of recurring devotion maybe even, but the handling of these, the lessons learnt, and the strengths gained during this process of healing will make one a more complete person, give us a fuller existence than many others will ever have.

A former victim of induced devotion has to learn how to live with these experiences, learn to laugh of sorts at their antics eventually, at least try to do so, especially when you catch yourself at falling a little under their ancient spell at times. Hating this feeling that has become a part of you and only slowly dissipates, will merely result in hating yourself; and that would make us more susceptible to outside influence again. The important thing is that you learn not to allow it to control your life ever again. For that, we need to do what we originally set out to do, to find true self-awareness, and realise that it cannot be found in a large group, but only in ourselves.

Much of what I’ve described may not be apparent to an espian in the middle of it; in many ways, this realisation can take many years after the events to hit you fully; but the processes might well be in place already, unperceived. As with all that is worth living for, it is our own right and duty to be open-minded, tolerant, and perceptive of not only the outside reality, but our own truthful ‘internal human existence’; only thus are we able to find the strength, intensity, excitement, desire, motivation, and meaning that will allow us to live our lives to the fullest potential of our free selves, to follow our dreams and make a true and lasting positive difference in this world of ours.

and

As before, this is based mostly on my experiences, refers to a male leader (could be a woman just as well), by extension the leader/group’s causes, teachings, etc. are often included, certain experiences may not be apparent at the same time or to every one, and so on…

The individual solitude within a group of devotion

When one joins or is drawn into such a group, in the beginning, the experience is altogether great and exciting. There are all these new interesting individuals that soon become friends and alike to a second family, building fresh connections, sharing common ideas and causes, comparing your experiences, etc. It is in a way one of the things of high interest to many of the new members: Some of us may not have had this kind of a group in our lives; some may be shy and retiring; others maybe a bit too much for normal social interactions. Whatever the reasons were, the communality of the group actually presents itself as a new option, a novel venue to accommodate all types of people in a thriving culture, so to speak.

The group is in fact designed to do exactly that, not in an atmosphere of truthful tolerance, but with vague and all-encompassing allusions to such. There are built-in hooks that apply to every type of person, yet still are interpretable to sound as though they were tailored precisely and only for you! One may indeed be so taken by these constructs, these illusions of open-mindedness, selfless generosity, and caring togetherness, that you actually bring those friends you might already have into the group as well; and such recruitment is not only highly honoured in the spirit of sharing the groups felicity but stipulated, ostensibly to such an end.

The shared goals, universal ideas, and new found community drives the group, ignites each other’s fiery desire to continue in such an enthusiastic way, gives an initial rise to devotion to the group and thus to the common denominator, the leader and his teachings. With the immediate and sustained introduction of the described mechanisms of devotion though comes evermore a single-mindedness, which is less about the contacts within the group, but more about the group being a united entity, an integrated unit in service to those teachings, to the leader, and hence to that devotion itself.

It is difficult at best for any larger group to address individual needs, desires, ideas, dreams, opinions, understanding, etc.; in order to do that, each member of such a collection of people would have to disclose and discuss them with each other member in turn. Usually one has true friends and one’s actual family to do that, people who have long been around one and thus have gained the indispensable truthful respect and rightful trust. However, as soon as any collection of people passes about a dozen, these personal differences start to be a complicating matter; at two dozen they can no longer be permitted and begin to be abraded by so-called group-awareness; eventually, expressed individuality is an impossibility and often considered (occasionally even rightfully so, sad to say) a danger to the continued functionality of the community.

and

Soon the group has become nought but a collection of superficially congenial separate persons, devoid of truthful individuality, devoted to devotion to benefit essentially the leader alone. The ‘illusion of group’ is maintained; internal friendships cultivated along the lines of the teachings and other mechanisms; outside relations now turned black and white, subjected to the strictest vigilance and blind suspicions, dropped, ended, annihilated on the most rational grounds without further ado or the truthful ethics of humanity. Everything now centres around and about the mission, the teachings, the leader.

and

While smiling and huddling, in many ways consciously feeling safe and loved within this group, committing full-heartedly and routinely to the group’s success, one subconsciously becomes ever more isolated. First, the group, the various mechanisms, and the leadership’s agenda to maintain control has separated or at least distanced you from (almost) all former contacts. This group is all that is left and there is no (apparent) chance and certainly no desire (yet) for you to leave (ever) again, to re-establish your old networks, to re-connect to the friends you left or dropped outside. Now, the relationships in this new family are disintegrated in subtle ways; all to rule you and in darkness bind you, to have you devote your life ever more, and ideally for evermore, to the leader and his teachings; his personal agenda lying well-hidden behind artfully deceptive outer missions of superficially humanitarian temptation.

What is easier to control? A community of freely interacting individuals with a wide diversity of opinions, dreams, desires, etc.? The unity under official direction of a single mind, prone to stumbling over the fact of their being under total domination every so often? Or a group put under the illusion of still being respected individuals, constantly and often unconsciously on guard of each other, merely bound by a common goal to the better, focused by the leader’s teachings, a happy few, a band of sisters and brothers unified by ‘their’ cause, ‘their’ mission, the goodness of ‘their’ dreams of ‘world ethics’?

This human void, this desolation in and of interaction, this absence of true humanity and real companionship, is the final focus on the leader, seemingly the only person left in the wide world who actually truly cares about you. Sure, there are the other members of the group, but even if the separation is but subconsciously felt (at first at least), their own focus on the mission, their own need for devotion, and their own fears of failure in those keeps them occupied...

and

But as with devotion, even thereafter, when all the cruelties, lies, group terror (unwittingly committed and unintended by most of the fellow members), and the levels of distrust are recognised, one still longs for the safety and closeness you felt in there; well-knowing it was an illusion most if not all of the time. It is hard to find new connections, to rebuild the old relationships, or to open up in general to others once you have gone through this kind of group binding, this kind of focussed, often simple and straightforward abstract chimera of friendship. To this day, I myself still long occasionally for the security of my small, private group; especially that of the early years, when I was not aware of its nature, of what the leader did to us, of what was happening with me.

The tragedy is that in many cases the original tendency of loneliness, of a shy retiring personality that may have helped the organisation bind you to it for such a long time, that isolation is now compounded even more and will take yet another additional effort to overcome. In essence, membership in the group has not given you the strength, knowledge, capacity, or even simple tools to make friends; on the contrary, it has taken away all those, replaced them with often distorted ideas of how to treat others, how to be ‘ethical’ towards them, or how to respond to them...

(Such as vindictively hounding former members who have left the group, have made friends and have had the courage to publish books alerting the world about that groups true nature.)

Bill Yenner's book and website

[americanguru.net]

[whatenlightenment.blogspot.com]

and just to stay updated

[rebloggingbradwarner.blogspot.com]

Date: April 10, 2010 11:21PM

A Wee Note to Journalists and Potential Recruits Seeking to Read William Yenners book, American Guru

Often a researcher may type some seach terms into Google and be overwhelmed by thousands of references.

Following this article on Reblogging Brad Warner---this site is authored by a different person, not by Brad Warner

[rebloggingbradwarner.blogspot.com]

There is this comment:

Anonymous said...
To return to the original topic of this thread, that of the deceptive web tactics of Cohen's followers, consider another small but revealing example.

Writing today on Huffington Post,

[www.huffingtonpost.com]

Tom Huston who is a Cohen devote and editor of EnlightenNext magazine, introduced Cohen thusly: "American guru Andrew Cohen."

Prior to Yenner's book "American Guru" Cohen was never introduced this way.

Seems that now all Cohen apologists must be under orders to describe their guru forever using Yenner's title. Guess that's a form of compliment, no?

March 28, 2010 8:43 AM

Corboy note:

If it is indeed accurate that Andrew Cohen is now being referred to and is introduced as 'American Guru Andrew Cohen'

what this means is that this string of words American Guru Andrew Cohen will proliferate in cyberspace.

This string of words matches part of the title of William Yenners book on Andrew Cohen, American Guru.

Now, search engines work by pattern recognition. So if Andrew Cohen is now being introduced as 'American guru' this will complicate computer searches for anyone
trying to learn about William Yenners book.

Unless we add some specific items, a search engine can make no distinction between

'American Guru' if its the honorific title used to introduce Andrew Cohen, or part of tthe title, of William Yenner's book, American Guru:A Story of Love, Betrayal and Healing-Former Students of Andrew Cohen Speak Out

ISBN 0982453051

'American Guru' is read as a mere pattern by the search engine and if used in a mulitude of different contexts, the search engine cannot tell the difference and will toss a staggering jungle of references onto the researchers screen.

Solution: use specific terms to narrow it down. If you want to read William Yenners book, here is what to do. Use terms not likely to come up in discussions or literature
written by Andrew Cohen's own collective.

So....to aid reseachers, here is what to do.

Use the ISBN number, which is a unique number, assigned only to William Yenner's book.

And or use Epigraph the name of the publisher.

ISBN 0982453051

William Yenners book is published by Epigraph

Here is information at Bookfinder.com (totally great website for anyone who wants to assemble a home library)

Its rather unlikely that Andrew Cohen and his devotees will find ways to use ISBN 0982453051 when introducing Andrew by his proper title, or put that string of numbers into their writings.

Interested journalists and researchers should also go here

[enlightennixt.com]

and, also read

Enlightement Blues by Andre van der Braak

and

The Mother of God by Luna Tarlo

Nighty night.

Remember...

ISBN 0982453051

Now, lots of Gurus have added number to their titles--its traditional in some lineages.

But, its pretty unlikely that any guru would add ISBN 0982453051
to his or her title.

Or find reason to generate enough footnotes to reach number 0982453051

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2010 11:34PM by corboy.

Date: May 01, 2010 01:49AM

Suggestion for Journalists and Academic Researchers and Those Seeking Recovery

In the 1960s, Hermann Hesse's novel, The Glass Bead Game was quite influential to many who sought to create communes--most notably Timothy Leary.

But today, Ayn Rand may be an important, and unappreciated influence on American elitists in the human potential scene--IMO, the potential to regress.

It might be worth investigating whether Ayn Rand's novels and some elements of Objectivist philosophy could have had some influence on Ken Wilber, and especially Andrew Cohen. The emotional biases shared by all three, and the tendency of their followers to equate kindess with shameful and contemptible weakness and the contempt for ordinary unelightened persons is telling.

And..drum roll are also ties to Ken Wilber and Nathaniel Branden, who was closely tied to Ayn Rand. "closely tied" is putting it mildly.

[www.google.com]

Geoffrey Falk, who has researched Ken Wilber has learned this. Speaking of Wilber, Falk writes:

Even just at the level directly below kw’s “brilliant” contributions, respected founding members of his Integral Institute include:

Nathaniel Branden—Ayn Rand’s “intellectual heir,” to whom Atlas Shrugged was dedicated. (The book itself was the “greatest human achievement in the history of the world,” according to Rand and Branden.) Together, they encouraged followers of Rand to consider them as being “the two greatest intellects on the planet.” By Branden’s own website testimony, he “has done more, perhaps, than any other theorist to awaken America’s consciousness to the importance of self-esteem to human well-being”

Norman Einstein: The Consciousness of PR

[webcache.googleusercontent.com]

[www.washingtonmonthly.com]

Goddess of the Market: Ayn
Rand and the American Right
by Jennifer Burns
Oxford University Press, 384 pp.

Ayn Rand and the
World She Made
by Anne C. Heller
Nan A. Talese, 592 pp.

"I began counting Ayn Rand’s uses of the word “contempt” on page 43 of The Fountainhead, by which point it had already appeared four times, and twice on that page. The word shows up thirty-nine times more in the book, by my count, which probably missed at least a couple of deployments. Rand’s villains and heroes smile contemptuously, throw back their heads and laugh contemptuously, and deem others too contemptible to be worth addressing.

(Corboy note: I once tried to read Wilbers One Taste Journals and grew fed up at the number of times he described the conversational styles of various persons he admired as being 'scathing' and 'brilliant.' )

But as Rand’s fame grew during her years as a famous novelist, pop philosopher, and elephant gun for Republican candidates, she tended to ignore the many selfless people who had helped her succeed. There was her family in Russia who sold their jewelry to send her to America; her relatives in Chicago who helped get her to Hollywood; and her many friends whom she soaked for ideas in late-night debates and then disowned irreversibly when they committed heresies like praising Kant or Plato. (Rand preferred Aristotle.)

and..there is this:

Burns has the edge, though, in identifying Rand’s intellectual legacy. She describes Rand as “the ultimate gateway drug to life on the right,” elaborating: “Just as Rand had provided businessmen with a set of ideas that met their need to feel righteous and honorable in their professional lives, she gave young people a philosophical system that met their deep need for order and certainty.”

Who needs difficult questions, gray areas, and doubt when one can have all of life’s questions conclusively answered in 1,000 easy-to-read pages? And who wouldn’t want to have every base, selfish motive validated by an unassailable philosophy proving that kindness and altruism are actually bad?

Today such needs are filled by an integralist ideology that demands boldness, ruthlessness, and reframes kindness as weakness and reframes cruelty as crazy wisdom. Unlike Rand the Wilberian integralists have a nice color coded diagram into which they can pigeonhole people.

Ultimately, both books show that Rand’s own life disproved her carefully wrought philosophy of selfishness. She happily accepted help from others while denouncing altruistic kindness. She trumpeted the virtue of reason over emotion, then surrendered to jealousy of a former lover.

'More bizarrely, she proved the preposterousness of absolute self-reliance by setting herself up as psychotherapist to many vulnerable members of her salon, doing untold damage to psyches and relationships.

'Too many young Ayn Rand followers have relied on her novels alone to prove the value of an individualism so extreme that it does not merely ignore others, but actually spits in their faces.

Ayn Rand has been influential as a morale booster for entrepreneurs and she may be an especially comforting source of moral reassurance for those aspiring to bring spirituality to the masses using American-style greed driven business models, inserting advertising that massages afflictive emotion into Buddhist magazines and websites that are supposed, as Buddhist, to bring insight to greed, not massage it and inflame it further.

Now..it has been said that Zen Buddhist Tenth Ox Herding Picture depicts how the Zen realizer 'returns to the market place' with gift bearing hands.

(This ignores that the old Zen people returned to market places that sold only goods produced by by hand, where people met face to face, most could afford only to barter or buy only what they needed. And at the time the Ox Herding Pictures were painted, mass media marketing to inflame fantasy and greed did not yet exist. Market places were communities. Advertising as we know it today, where someone we have never met in person can market a crafted public image and turn it into a focus for projections and longings--that kind of klesha massaging techology did not yet exist. A real teacher never massages afflictive emotions, for that runs counter to Buddhist teaching, the way a fire fighter will not go in and throw gasoline on a fire.)

Anyone who has incurred scars by spending hard time in Cohen and Wilbers scene may need to read (or at least read about Rand) because she has been a source of inspiration to many entrepreneurs and libertarians.

One may encounter echoes of her philsophy in sources far away from Cohen or Wilber, and one may be re-triggered and wonder why this is happening, unless one does some background research and learns that Wilber and Cohen may possibly owe some of their own influence to that of a person whose ideas have become widespead in the US.

If youve tried to fight free from Cohen or Wilbers influence, do not know that Ayn Rand may be part of their inspiration and then spend time with persons or companies also inspired by Rands material, this could re-trigger conditioning from ones time with Cohen or Wilber.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2010 02:05AM by corboy.

Date: May 10, 2010 12:13AM

[americanguru.net]

Integral Abuse: Andrew Cohen and the Culture of Evolutionary Enlightenment
Review by William Yenner

In late April, I received an email from Be Scofield telling me about his new article “Integral Abuse: Andrew Cohen and the Culture of Evolutionary Enlightenment”, which he said was posted at Tikkun Daily, a blog at Tikkun Magazine which he writes for.

Upon reading it, I felt his article to be a very comprehensive, insightful and disturbing piece revealing the depth of abuse and corruption within the Integral spiritual scene.

However within a couple of hours the post disappeared from Tikkun, with no explanation. (The article was saved, however, by blogger Goeff Falk on his blog here:
[www.geoffreyfalk.com])

The following day I heard again from Be Scofield, [www.tikkun.org] that Tikkun took it down due to stylistic and tone concerns, and not due to content or subject matter. He said that with the guidance of editor Dave Beldon at Tikkun, he will be preparing a new version which will be posted later on Tikkun Daily.

The article is quite critical of not only Andrew Cohen but also of several other well known spiritual teachers, including Ken Wilber, Craig Hamilton, Marc Gafni, Terry Patten, Sally Kempton and Diane Musho Hamilton.

I have since heard that it is highly unlikely that Tikkun will post any version of “Integral Abuse.”

Given the fact that it was Tikkun who first posted this article, and Tikkun’s normal high journalistic standards, a fuller explanation is due from the magazine.

For any readers wishing to request a fuller explanation from Tikkun about this, here are contact details:

* rabbilerner@tikkun.org (Rabbi Michael Lerner, founder of the magazine)
* dave@tikkun.org (Dave Belden – Managing Editor)
* webmaster@tikkun.org (Web Site Comments and Questions)
* letters@tikkun.org (Letters to the Editor)

Mr. Scofield has now reposted his entire article on his own blog: God Bless the Whole World. Additionally the article has been posted on Integral World. [www.integralworld.net]

Since the article has come out there has been an outpouring of interest and a lot of mail. I also have heard from the grapevine that many people and institutional groups are now sharing and discussing it.

Here are some brief excerpts from “Integral Abuse” by Be Scofield -

This quote appears in large font on the sidebar of the article

"The ultimate irony is of course that these spiritual teachers are supposedly on the forefront of instructing us on how to confront the shadow."

As Frank Visser [founder of Integral World] says,

“Integral confirms integral confirms integral.” I have heard people defend Marc Gafni by stating that Andrew Cohen and Ken Wilber support him. But it actually is a silly game they all play because they all defend and support each other. It goes something like this.

Patten, Hamilton, Gafni and Wilber support Cohen.
Cohen, Wilber, Hamilton and Patten support Gafni.
Wilber, Gafni, Hamilton and Patten support Wilber.
Wilber and Cohen support Patten and Hamilton.
Wilber and Patten support Adi Da….etc.

And they all appear on each others integral programs, websites, conferences, book chapters, magazines and platforms.

Among the various offerings is Integral Life Practice, Integral Naked, Integral Institute, Integral Spiritual Center, Integral Enlightenment, EnlightenNext magazine…etc.

And as Yenner notes above, they seem to employ the same tactic: surrounding themselves with other luminaries, celebrities, and public faces who agree with them and provide much needed support. If all of these amazing people support Cohen he must be ok, right? Nowadays it seems all you have to do is add the word integral in front of something to boost its credibility. Add the word integral and you have a sexy and attractive product ready to be sold to eager spiritual seekers who are hungry for idealism and more purpose in life. The whole thing equates to a very large money making machine.

… Is it wrong to call out Cohen’s enablers? Is it wrong to expect them to break the silence on Cohen’s legacy of abuse, manipulation and cultish behaviors? In the face of the sadistic acts of Cohen isn’t it problematic when Wilber says “Cohen is here to tear you into a thousand pieces?”

What about accountability? Responsibility? Ethics?

…In a post-Jonestown and present day Catholic Church scandal era we simply cannot afford their silence. I doubt any accountability will be had because this particular integral community is a family of “evolutionary thinkers,” who has discovered a revolutionary truth and will defend it to the end. They simply employ a form of group think that rationalizes, justifies and spins the truth to meet their agreed upon conclusions about each other. The ultimate irony is of course that these spiritual teachers are supposedly on the forefront of instructing us on how to confront the shadow. However, I won’t take their advice until they confront the very large shadow of Andrew Cohen.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2010 12:17AM by corboy.

Date: May 12, 2010 11:26PM

The Disease of Conscience: A Response to Cohen Supporters

An article by Be Scofield--worth reading in its entirety.

[www.godblessthewholeworld.org]

To repeat, anyone who kicked and screamed abuse at a dog this way would have been shouted out of town years ago.

But in the warped culture of Integral Fascism, treating human persons this way is considered necessary and even desirable and a crew of celebrity enablers will back you up--and accuse your dissenters of being demonically driven by ego sickness.

Posted by: skepticGranny ()
Date: July 20, 2010 08:08PM

Well, reading all of this information about Andrew Cohen does not surprise me. That he was a fraud I already discovered some years ago, watching him giving a lecture in Amsterdam, the Netherlands.
Having read his first few books I had come to Amsterdam to verify my feelings of distrust and doubt. One of my grown-up sons had come with me. The first thing that we noticed was the exaggerated cult-talk around us in the conferenceroom while awaiting Cohen's arrival. My son and I looked at each other with an amused hear-hear look in our eyes. Then Cohen came in and began to talk. He acted like a slick manager and so he sounded, boring my son and I to death in the first couple of minutes. 'Enlightened'? This man? Rediculous. My son and I left and spend the rest of our visit to Amsterdam in a much more pleasant way. We went home with this conclusion: Cohen's 'teachings' can be missed like a toothache.

Current Page: 6 of 30

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.