Current Page: 7 of 7
James Randi : A Skeptics Guide
Posted by: kath ()
Date: December 02, 2006 04:01AM

rrmoderator
Recently, a member came back to a Mankind Project thread and deleted many posts that had been up for more than a year. This really changed the flow of that thread, as you can imagine.

For sure :shock: What some boards have is a time limit on editing posts, so people can edit for a few hours after they post. Do you have the site backed up, then one of the mods could restore what that person did?

But members can still use the "Preview" function to look over a post before clicking on "Submit."

If it is a complex or long post a member might do it first off-line and then cut and paste it into place at the message board.

Thanks for explaining, I'll have to preview more before posting :)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: drivingthecar ()
Date: December 02, 2006 04:22AM

kath
You'd probably get better results if you use a real treatment proven by science to do something, is all.

Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome do NOT have "real treatments proven by science" at this point, because medical science has not found the cause yet.

This does NOT mean these things are all in people's heads, and you insult sufferers by suggesting so.

[cfids.org]

kath
I hate to see people living with illnesses for years longer than they need to, which they would probably get over more quickly if they took a real med than a sugar pill or other placebo with no real effect.

I truly hope you never have to experience getting an illness that conventional medicine doesn't know how to cure yet. Then you will know the personal pain, agony, and suffering as you go from doctor to doctor vainly trying to find someone who can help. The lost wages. The despair. The overly skeptical doctors who dismiss your claims as just "in your head."

kath
Personally I would have them all sectioned for a bit, and forced to take real medication, eat a proper diet of food with enough calories in it rather than living on light and lettuce, and stuff like that :D Maybe when I achieve world domination :)

So you don't believe in a person's right to choose what they do with their own body? In that case you'd be a dictator of the worst sort. Whether you agree with it or not, people have a right to follow whatever course of treatment they want with their illnesses.

Your attitude is awfully paternalistic to say the least. You presume that anyone who follows alternative medicine is an idiot and you need to save them from themselves.

It's that very paternalistic mindset that is the hallmark of a cult guru, BTW.

kath
But until then people can waste their money and languish in crippled health by not accepting real treatment. I care too much is my problem maybe lol

If it had not been for alternative medicine, then I would have never gotten back on my feet from my chronic fatigue syndrome.

And yes, it was real, caused by an onset of mononucleosis that then recurred and baffled doctors who said "but you can't ever get it twice." My initial diagnosis was chronic mononucleosis, and yes, that was by regular doctors.

Years later I still had elevated levels of Epstein Barr virus in my blood. Tested. By a real medical doctor.

But the doctor who found the Epstein Barr in my blood couldn't do anything about it, because they generally don't have treatments for viral infections like that other than bed rest. (Antibiotics fight bacteria, not viruses.)

I found a person with a conventional medical degree who also had a specialty in alternative medicine and she was the one who started me on my recovery. I have since seen energy healers and acupuncturists and I am healthier now at almost 40 than I was in my early 20s when I went on disability (paid by the government) for my very REAL illness.

[b:5627f09165]Some have said that results from acupuncture are just "subjective." They are not. Go do some searches on the web and you can find plenty of acupuncture studies that show it is effective beyond just a placebo.[/b:5627f09165]

If you are truly all about "science" and "hard evidence" then you will do some real research to see that alternative health has had many scientific studies. Just pointing to some wacky website by an extreme "breatharian" is just a way to blanket dismiss all alternative health and that is not fair considering you could also provide a link that is much more scientifically sound.

[b:5627f09165]You choose to filter out the science of alternative health. That is not being objective.[/b:5627f09165]

PS. Moderator, I think this discussion here is important since I see many people here overreacting and assuming that anything alternative or non-mainstream is cult in nature. I think it is fair to look at both sides of things. Thank you.

Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: December 02, 2006 04:57AM

I will let that be the last word and now close this thread down.

It's drifted too far from the intended purpose of this message board.

Current Page: 7 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.