Re: Christopher Hansard
Posted by: Gita ()
Date: August 28, 2008 07:23AM

For those of you just tuning in, Christopher Hansard is currently and publicly being exposed as a fraud.
There is no evidence what so ever of a gNam Chuk family ever having entered, resided or immigrated to New Zealand before, during or after the time of Christopher Hansard's supposed teachings with one Urygen gNam Chuk and/or his family.

There are no Tantric Teachings in Dur Bon Medicine therefore those patients and/or students who feel they at any time 'consented' to such practice with Christopher Hansard having been told that he held such credentials or even knowledge of such things for that matter, were blatantly lied to.

Christopher Hansard used the therapeutic relationship and reputation he meticulously tended with patients, as well as false credentials to obtain sexual favors from patients under his care. He has done this through out the span of his entire career positioning himself as a healer for some, and still others a teacher and guru.

Many of the women have also been convinced that they shared a "love relationship" though it never ever left the confines of his treatment couch.
So convinced are they that they feel they have merely suffered a bad break-up as opposed to the complete and utter exploitation, sexual harassment, and assault, which is indeed the reality of this situation and the result of his interaction with them.
Others are dealing with feelings of rejection and the embarrassment that accompanies the sudden termination of their 'treatment' or 'teachings', contrary to the feeling of anger and rage that one might expect to be feeling having been exploited in such a way.

Patients, Workshop Participants and Students have spent thousands only to be misdiagnosised, mistreated and abused.
They invested much in the way of both time and money for sexual pleasure.
Not theirs, his.

Perhaps even more upsetting is that this was not always the case, as many women reported that Christopher Hansard would not require payment from them after awhile, after sufficient trust had been developed, or would offer them concessions on occasion. Often and unsurprisingly, these testimonies were given by those women who he later breached boundaries with and later assaulted and abused.
We need to be clear on what harassment and misconduct entails however. Please read below:

Sexual Harassment

This is where there are unwelcome sexual advances, requests for sexual favors, and other verbal or physical conduct of a sexual nature, made by one person on another. Repeated, unreciprocated and unwanted verbal or physical approaches.

Sexually explicit and derogatory statements which are found to be objectionable and offensive and make the recipient feel threatened or humiliated; suggestive remarks; compromising invitations; demands for sexual favours.

The definition of harassment

The Employment Equality (Sex Discrimination) Regulations 2005 amend the Sex Discrimination Act 1975 to provide that a person subjects a woman to harassment, including sexual harassment, if:

“(a) on the ground of her sex, he engages in unwanted conduct that has the purpose or effect –

(i) of violating her dignity, or

(ii) of creating an intimidating, hostile, degrading, humiliating or offensive environment for her,

(b) he engages in any form of unwanted verbal, non-verbal or physical conduct of a sexual nature that has the purpose or effect—

(i) of violating her dignity, or

(ii) of creating an intimidating, hostile, degrading, humiliating or offensive environment for her, or

(c) on the ground of her rejection of or submission to unwanted conduct of a kind mentioned in paragraph (a) or (b), he treats her less favourably than he would treat her had she not rejected, or submitted to, the conduct.”

From lewd or sexually suggestive comments to unwanted touching or stroking along the spine or small of patients backs as Hansard has been known to do before ever entering the treatment room with clients.

What is largely unknown to the public, is Christopher would often harvest his students directly from his patient or client base. Many, if not all of his apprentices as he referred to them, and had them call themselves, started out as patients or were the spouses of patients.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/28/2008 07:32AM by Gita.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: August 28, 2008 07:41AM

pema
What I don't have is women willing to be interviewed in person and to go on record. They could be disguised in the media, but they would have to meet me or other journalists and make a signed statement. No media org will do an item on the basis of internet information alone.

There is media interest and both patients as well as witnesses need to know that they may remain anonymous. As patients and witnesses your anonymity and privacy will be protected by the law in this matter.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/28/2008 07:43AM by Gita.

Date: September 14, 2008 12:23AM

I wish to draw everyone's attention to this article in The Telegraph from September 2, 2008

It is about a Complimentary Health practitioner, who unlike your GP is not required in some countries to follow or adhere to a strict Code of Ethics or face the consequences of being barred for crossing boundaries with patients. Unlike your GP, but very much like our Christopher Hansard. The behavioral and coercion patterns this practitioner uses are eerily similar to Christopher Hansard's, though clearly lacking the same creative genius. Hansard is in a league of his own in that department.

Therapist told women he would cure them with orgasms
A reflexologist told patients he could cure them by using a vibrator to give them orgasms, a court has heard.

Last Updated: 1:37PM BST 02 Sep 2008

Stuart Hill, 57, is said to have told females who came to him with joint pain he was using the latest Chinese massage technique to make them better.

The "hormone therapy", which he said was banned in the UK, allegedly involved placing a High Street vibrating massager on an intimate part of the patient's body.

Hill claimed this would make the victims aroused and "orgasmic" and it would make them feel better, Durham Crown Court heard.

The defendant, who ran Meridian Massage at Nevilles Cross, near Durham City, also was said to have claimed he could tell whether a patient had cancer by inspecting their feet or lymph nodes.

One of the victims, a middle-aged married woman, went to see Hill because she had problems with her knee.

But instead of treating her injury he allegedly placed the electric massager in an intimate part of her body under the guise of "hormone therapy", which had "scales of arousal" between one and 10.

"He said think about having sex with her husband while being massaged," prosecutor Amanda Rippon told the court.

"The defendant told her this therapy was not legal in England and she was his guinea pig.

"She began to think this was legitimate therapy. He continued to ask her how aroused she was and what turned her on.

"She started crying because she could not get aroused. She started to think that if she could not get aroused she would not get better.

"He told her she needed to be orgasmic."

Hill also allegedly licked the woman's breasts and told her he was "well endowed".

Miss Rippon described how the victim's face was covered with a towel and so could not see the electric massager Hill was using.

"She felt the vibrating tool around her groin area and around her legs. She tried to focus on feeling better and when the tool got very close to her vagina she thought it had been inadvertent," the prosecutor said.

"She trusted the defendant and the prosecution say this was a deliberate act."

Miss Rippon added: "He was a jolly upbeat man and she genuinely believed that he wanted her to get better.

"The defendant started to feel better and told her husband that the defendant was a miracle worker."

Hill would charge £30 for a one-hour session although he would readily offer discounts to patients - sometimes charging just £5.

Miss Rippon told the court how Hill would deliberately target female clients.

"He has been described by the women as an enigmatic person," she told the jury of nine men and three women.

"They came to trust him and believe he was treating them genuinely. They were then sexually abused by him and sexually touched by him. He did this under the guise of helping them.

"Sometimes it appears he simply took advantage of a situation, tried it on if you like.

"He left these women ashamed, disgusted and distraught and feeling they were to blame and they felt stupid for falling for it.

"His behaviour is not just indecent, it is criminal."

She also told the jury that Hill had two previous convictions for sexually assaulting female patients.

Hill, of Red Courts, Brandon, near Durham City denies six charges of sexual assault, two of assault by penetration and one of indecent assault.

The trial was adjourned until tomorrow.

What I most wanted to impart is that something IS being done about it, and CAN be done about it.
Through media attention alone, he will more than likely not ever be able to set up practice again, at least not in the UK, and Christopher Hansard I believe is already well on his way to burning his bridges in the UK and Canada for the most part. It has been reported he is still being extended invitations to visit other countries such as Latvia, Denmark, and Norway for workshops and patient treatments. Through his connections in North America, and I believe a woman that Jeffrey Bowes brought to our attention by the name of Kalama Hochreiter, Christopher may still have intentions on visiting the US.

I encourage those who like Kalama, signed that petition to write the author as the page suggests to find out exactly why the petition that was initially in favor of supporting Hansard was altogether removed. I also encourage the author to come forward or perhaps reach out to those who unwittingly signed their names and offer an explanation, though I assure you, many of us already understand your reasons.

Please also note that none of the victims names were used in the article.

Though progress has been slow, I want to assure everyone that progress is still being made, that more and more women are coming forward with their stories, that none of you are alone and you have a growing number of those around you that support you. You were very much victims of coercion and rest assured a very sick man who will not get help, who will continue to harm, and who continues through means of an entirely made up story to obtain sexual favors from patients under his care. Patients like you who went to him for help, but found and are receiving further abuse.

It is not always clear at the time what is happening, and many are still trying desperately to make some sense of it even now. Some are dealing with what happened to them in Christopher Hansard's treatment rooms, and beyond, 10 to 16 years after the fact. It is clear this has gone on for far to long.

Do not wait for others to do something about this man, JOIN them.

Contact your local Police Department, and contact Witness Against Abuse where you can be supported and guided through this process. [www.popan.org.uk]

Similar to the article above, Christopher offered payment concessions to those he eventually coerced into having sex with him, he recited poems to them, he sent them online ecards, icards, he put them in false positions of power, where often they felt they needed to care for him, and not the other way around, he drew their sympathies and told them stories, telling them they were "the only ones".

When patients did not get better, they tended to blame themselves.

"He left these women ashamed, disgusted and distraught and feeling they were to blame and they felt stupid for falling for it."

Posted by: jeff bowe ()
Date: September 15, 2008 06:06AM

Posted by: pema ()
Date: September 15, 2008 04:08PM

First -- thanks to Gita for her calm persistence and thorough investigation. She has taken over where I left off and this is a small miracle.
Second --I've checked the link given by JB. It gets a gold medal for newage hogwash. Fortunately for us Brits its happening in Tucson, Arzona. If this Kalama woman does invite Hansard to join her *healing* charade, I'll ask my friend Angie who lives in Tucson to warn people via the local media to steer clear.

Date: September 16, 2008 02:03AM

Thank you Pema for starting this thread and for all your work. You have been amazing!
I agree that those who encourage Christopher Hansard are only making things much worse, however I do not want to alienate them either, as he has merely used this in his favour.

As we know his defense has always been he is being harassed, therefore that he is the victim and not the other way around.
While the real victims, though clearly patients, or students who were once patients, and practitioners who also frequented his office, were all in positions of vulnerability. This was largely due to his advertising and presenting himself as a Doctor or Physician of Tibetan Medicine.
He has very sadly been somewhat successful at presenting his victims as merely scorned women of his past. He uses the length of this thread and the number of years of his obvious 'harassment' as testament to his being demonised. Though lets be clear, the most recent victim of his advances is mariac, whose experience was not that long ago at all and within the last few months.
Testimony that he is not seeking to change, but choosing to continue in the seeming absence of consequences.
His defense is all likelihood is the sheer number of years he has been allowed to continue to 'pracitice' though clearly his practice consists primarily of having sex with his patients unabated, and unchallenged.

If anyone is unclear as to why this is, please refer to the above article from the Times Online. There is an extreme amount of pain and shame involved. Like mariac offered, Christopher often capitalised on this, telling patients it was "their own fault", "part of their own process", or "their own transference".

The 'friend' of your enemy is not necessarily your enemy as well, and I do not believe this is the case with Kalama Hochreiter.
It is evident to me that through his own direct contact, he is defending himself to these people and is winning over their support by lying to them and presenting himself as the victim.
Essentially, he is using our own arguments and challenges in his favour and to his benefit.

I do not want to alienate them, but encourage them to look a little deeper into things. I do not think after speaking with some of the victims of coercion and assault, they would support his activities any longer.
So we must find a way to reach them as well.

Posted by: pema ()
Date: September 16, 2008 05:38PM

Hi Gita,

[..]The number of so-called healers who exploit vulnerable, often desperate, sick people makes me both sad and angry. No excuses -- in some instances anger is both useful and justified. I don't condemn all *New Age* practitioners. [...] But the newage portmanteau includes many crackpots -- probably more charlatans than effectively trained and qualified practitioners. CH is certainly in the charlatan category -- albeit a sly, manipulative survivor skilled in the dark art of smoke and mirrors. I find it hard to believe that anyone consulting this thread would want to be associated with him -- let alone allow him to treat them for an illness. The posts here that expose his deceit, the tissue of lies that he has used to establish his position, and his ongoing ducking and weaving -- shine through the hype, the trolls and the phony supporters. Most of whom are probably CH himself under various guises and from several internet cafes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2008 08:00PM by rrmoderator.

Date: September 17, 2008 12:08AM

Please direct any complaints or concerns about Christopher Hansard to:

Sapphire Units
Kensington Police Station
Telephone: 020 7376 1212
Opening Hours: 24 hours

Chelsea Police Station
Telephone: 020 7589 1212
kensingtonsecretariat@met.police.uk

Westminster Trading Standards
Please note that we only provide advice to Westminster residents and traders.
*You must submit a complaint to the trading standards office in your area and request that they pass it on directly to Westminster on your behalf.
Office Hours: 9.00am - 5.00pm Monday to Friday.
There is a Hotline available during these hours, to answer telephone enquiries. Outside these hours, you may leave a message on the telephone voicemail.
Telephone: 020 7641 1111
Fax: 020 7641 1702
You may write to us at:
City of Westminster Trading Standards Service
5th Floor
Westminster City Hall
64 Victoria Street
London
SW1E 6QP
Web site: www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/westminster
tradingstandards@westminster.gov.uk

Westminster City Council Health and Safety
Our Team will investigate your complaint and the investigation will have two main aims:
To identify and prevent risk to public health and safety
To investigate possible health and safety offences

What happens first?
Within 5 working days of you making your complaint, we will contact you to confirm details of your complaint with you, provide you with an initial assessment of your complaint and give you details of how to keep in touch with us. Westminster City Council does not deal with all Health and Safety matters. It may therefore be necessary for us to refer you to another enforcement body such as the Health and Safety Executive. We can assist with contact details so that you can contact them direct.

We need to know:
Where and when the unsafe conditions occurred
How you discovered the cause for complaint
Whether there were/are any other people affected
How the unsafe conditions or accident affected you. (For example, were you injured or ill)
As your complaint could lead to prosecution, we may sometimes ask you and other witnesses to provide statements.

[www.westminster.gov.uk]

Councillor Tim Ahern: cllr.ahern@rbkc.gov.uk

Hodder & Stoughton (Hodder Mobius) publishers: 020 7873 6000
[www.hodder.co.uk]

Please direct any complaints or concerns about Stephanie Wright to the above and to:

Emma Willis at the General Chiropractic Council – e.willis@gcc-uk.org

This is clearly a complicated story both for the former students of Christopher Hansard and most especially for the many workshop attendees and patients who passed through his clinic. I have found an organisation in London dealing specifically with abuse within the healthcare environment.

[www.witnessagainstabuse.org.uk]

‘Witness’ offers expertise in dealing with the issues discussed on this forum. They also have access to sensitive legal support and to the press. Please contact them and offer your stories. Through them we should be able to coordinate a process of repair for the damage done and stop Hansard from doing this again.

You can email them or call the helpline on 08454 500 300.

Date: September 17, 2008 12:44AM

pema
Hi Gita,
[..]The number of so-called healers who exploit vulnerable, often desperate, sick people makes me both sad and angry. No excuses -- in some instances anger is both useful and justified. I don't condemn all *New Age* practitioners. [...] But the newage portmanteau includes many ... more charlatans than effectively trained and qualified practitioners. CH is certainly in the charlatan category

And that is why I have the utmost respect and gratitude for you as a journalist having started this thread and perhaps for the first time ever bringing real exposure to a problem that has gone on for far too long and I would stress again to the women who I have first hand account have been sexually exploited and abused... Do not wait for others to do something about Christopher Hansard, JOIN them. and also to the apprentices and practitioners who witnessed and/or are now dealing with the aftermath of said abuses to their own clients. Without breaching confidentiality, you too can submit statements to the Police which would help those who have already come forward. They need your support now.

Sapphire Units
Kensington Police Station
Telephone: 020 7376 1212

Chelsea Police Station
Telephone: 020 7589 1212

Contact your local Police Department, and contact Witness Against Abuse where you can be supported and guided through this process. [www.popan.org.uk]

He is with another patient, right now...

Date: September 22, 2008 08:32PM

YOUR RIGHTS
Fraud and Sexual Offences

Fraud Act 2006
2006 CHAPTER 35

2.Fraud by false representation ("apprentices", patients, workshop participants and organisers of Christopher Hansard Workshops where money was at any time exchanged or intended for exchange)
(1)A person is in breach of this section if he—
(a)dishonestly makes a false representation, and
(b)intends, by making the representation—
(i)to make a gain for himself or another, or
(ii)to cause loss to another or to expose another to a risk of loss.
(2)A representation is false if—
(a)it is untrue or misleading, and
(b)the person making it knows that it is, or might be, untrue or misleading.
(3)“Representation” means any representation as to fact or law, including a representation as to the state of mind of—
(a)the person making the representation, or
(b)any other person.
(4)A representation may be express or implied.
(5)For the purposes of this section a representation may be regarded as made if it (or anything implying it) is submitted in any form to any system or device designed to receive, convey or respond to communications (with or without human intervention)

3. Fraud by failing to disclose information
(a)dishonestly fails to disclose to another person information which he is under a legal duty to disclose, and
(b)intends, by failing to disclose the information—

4.Fraud by abuse of position
(a)occupies a position in which he is expected to safeguard, or not to act against, the financial interests of another person,
(b)dishonestly abuses that position, and
(c)intends, by means of the abuse of that position—
(2)A person may be regarded as having abused his position even though his conduct consisted of an omission rather than an act.

Sexual Offences Act 2003

2003 CHAPTER 42

22.Positions of trust: interpretation ("apprentice", patients, workshop participants of Christopher Hansard)
(1)The following provisions apply for the purposes of section 21.
(2)Subject to subsection (3), a person looks after persons under 18 if he is regularly involved in caring for, training, supervising or being in sole charge of such persons.
(3)A person (A) looks after another person (B) on an individual basis if—
(a)A is regularly involved in caring for, training or supervising B, and
(b)in the course of his involvement, A regularly has unsupervised contact with B (whether face to face or by any other means).
(4)A person receives education at an educational institution if—
(a)he is registered or otherwise enrolled as a pupil or student at the institution, or
(b)he receives education at the institution under arrangements with another educational institution at which he is so registered or otherwise enrolled.

61.Administering a substance with intent (In a position of 'care', the administering of herbs, herbal substances and/or acupuncture needles to specific parts of the body with the intent of "stupefying or overpowering" )
(1)A person commits an offence if he intentionally administers a substance to, or causes a substance to be taken by, another person (B)—
(a)knowing that B does not consent, and
(b)with the intention of stupefying or overpowering B, so as to enable any person to engage in a sexual activity that involves B.

66. Exposure
(1)A person commits an offence if—
(a)he intentionally exposes his genitals, and
(b)he intends that someone will see them and be caused alarm or distress.
(2)A person guilty of an offence under this section is liable—
(a)on summary conviction, to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 6 months or a fine not exceeding the statutory maximum or both;
(b)on conviction on indictment, to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 2 years.

76.Conclusive presumptions about consent
(1)If in proceedings for an offence to which this section applies it is proved that the defendant did the relevant act and that any of the circumstances specified in subsection (2) existed, it is to be conclusively presumed—
(a)that the complainant did not consent to the relevant act, and
(b)that the defendant did not believe that the complainant consented to the relevant act.
(2)The circumstances are that—
(a)the defendant intentionally deceived the complainant as to the nature or purpose of the relevant act;
(b)the defendant intentionally induced the complainant to consent to the relevant act by impersonating a person known personally to the complainant.

Fraud - [www.opsi.gov.uk]
E-mail: fraud.alert@met.police.uk.
Hodder Headline
338 Euston Road
London
NW1 3BH
UK Customer Service: +44(0) 1235 400580

Sexual Offence - [www.opsi.gov.uk]
[online.met.police.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2008 08:35PM by Gita.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.