Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
jonestown--the movie
Posted by: starter ()
Date: November 02, 2006 02:45PM

just came from viewing the stanley nelson documentary, jonestown. not here to offer any kind of conventional review..i'm not really capable of that. will take me a while to process myriad impressions from the film... of jones himself, from actual footage abd recordings--lots of it--some from the last day--to the cultural climate of the time--to the very moving testimonies given by survivors, present tense..

i'm left awestruck at the always present cult paradox between high and noble ideals and total corruption and destructiveness...

not easy to watch but worth watching for that very reason. just writing to recommend this film to all survivors, researchers, counselors, family members and friends of cult members, etc....it is a small release...may only be in one or two theaters only in major cities..worth a schlep to get to it, or, worth whatever wait for the dvd release..

Options: ReplyQuote
jonestown--the movie
Posted by: just-googling ()
Date: November 03, 2006 07:06AM

Thanks for the info - I would like to see this when it comes out on DVD, if it is available.

I also saw a movie re-enacting the Branch Davidians at Waco, Texas, and this was quite a well done movie. I would like to see this again, but I cannot remember the title.

jonestown--the movie
Posted by: yoongkheong ()
Date: November 03, 2006 12:16PM

Can't seem to find in my country. Any online sites that sell this movie at good price?

jonestown--the movie
Date: November 03, 2006 03:57PM

i see you are in singapore! i am sorry to report that this movie is being given a very small u.s. release. i doubt it will get a theatrical release in singapore...and it will probably not be available for dvd purchase in this country for many months...maybe a year...it will get out though..so stay tuned and keep a look out for it if you remain interested....

jonestown--the movie
Date: November 03, 2006 03:59PM

just-googling,
i think the waco documentary was called rules of engagement. is that what you are thinking of???

jonestown--the movie
Posted by: zelig ()
Date: November 03, 2006 06:49PM

yoongkheong
Can't seem to find in my country. Any online sites that sell this movie at good price?

Try ordering from amazon.com or blockbuster.com to find obscure movies.

jonestown--the movie
Posted by: yoongkheong ()
Date: November 04, 2006 12:30AM

Ya, how could I have missed those sites.
Thanks anyway!

jonestown--the movie
Posted by: just-googling ()
Date: November 04, 2006 01:16AM

starter
just-googling,
i think the waco documentary was called rules of engagement. is that what you are thinking of???

No, the movie I saw was not a documentary - it was a regular movie. It depicted some of the life of David Koresh and the life at the compound leading up to their deaths.

The documentary probably has more information on the cult, I expect, though.

jonestown--the movie
Date: November 04, 2006 02:09AM

the documentary centers on the government intervention and whether or not it was appropriate--whether or not undue force was used by the government.....i remember it is very sad, like jonestown is, and aslo, like jonestown, has many moving testimonies by survivor/witnesses...

jonestown--the movie
Posted by: Brad69 ()
Date: November 04, 2006 02:19AM

Maybe slightly off the topic of the movie, BUT...

One of the most harrowing books I have ever read is Seductive Poison by Deborah Layton. It is about Jim Jones and Jonestown.

She got out shortly before the end. It was due to her urging that Congressman Ryan made his ill-fated visit to Jonestown where he was shot and killed, followed shortly afterwards by the mass suicides.

A book that reads like a thriller, but is a true story, it makes for a chilling read, and carries a big warning.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.