Current Page: 8 of 10
Re: Question about Eyes and Hypnosis
Posted by: corboy ()
Date: August 29, 2012 10:26PM

For someone new to reading this thread, here are a series of posts, starting April 17 th
describing a mundane, learnable method of social influence.

It is an ancient technique that is now termed 'cold reading.'

This can be used to convince people that someone else has the ability to read minds.

[forum.culteducation.com] This page and the page that follows gives a series of vignettes describing various ways cold reading has been done.

Not all cold readings are done by malicious manipulators.

Some readings are done by astrologers, graphologists, tarot readers, New Age healers, and people who genuinely believe they have paranormal powers.

They are as impressed by their correct predictions or "insights" as are their clients and patients. We should remember, however, that just as scientists can be wrong in their predictions, so pseudoscientists and quacks can sometimes be right in theirs.

There seem to be three common factors in these kinds of readings.

1)One factor involves fishing for details. The psychic says something at once vague and suggestive, e.g., "I'm getting a strong feeling about January here." If the subject responds, positively or negatively, the psychic's next move is to play off the response. E.g., if the subject says, "I was born in January" or my mother died in January" then the psychic says something like "Yes, I can see that," anything to reinforce the idea that the psychic was more precise that he or she really was.

If the subject responds negatively, e.g., "I can't think of anything particularly special about January," the psychic might reply, "Yes, I see that you've suppressed a memory about it. You don't want to be reminded of it. Something painful in January. Yes, I feel it. It's in the lower back [fishing]...oh, now it's in the heart [fishing]...umm, there seems to be a sharp pain in the head [fishing]...or the neck [fishing]."

If the subject gives no response, the psychic can leave the area, having firmly implanted in everybody's mind that the psychic really did 'see' something but the subject's suppression of the event hinders both the psychic and the subject from realizing the specifics of it.

If the subject gives a positive response to any of the fishing expeditions, the psychic follows up with more of "I see that very clearly, now. Yes, the feeling in the heart is getting stronger."

Fishing is a real art and a good mentalist carries a variety of bait in his memory.

For example, professional mentalist and author of one of the best books on cold reading, Ian Rowland (2002), says that he has committed to memory such things as:

the most common male and female names and a list of items likely to be lying about the house such as an old calendar, a photo album, newspaper clippings, and so on.

Rowland also works on certain themes that are likely to resonate with most people who consult psychics: love, money, career, health, and travel.

Since cold reading can occur in many contexts, there are several tactics Rowland covers. But whether one is working with astrology, graphology, palmistry, psychometry, rumpology, or Tarot cards, or whether one is channeling messages from the dead as many mediums claim to be doing, there are specific techniques one can use to impress clients with one’s ability to know things that seem to require paranormal powers.

(Or make it seem your gadget has the power)

Another characteristic of these readings is that many claims are put in vague statement form ("I'm getting a warm feeling in the crotch area") or in the form of a question ("I sense that you have strong feelings about someone in this room. Am I right?") Most, but not all, of the specific claims are provided by the subject himself.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: VenusDarkly ()
Date: September 16, 2012 02:53PM

Check out the eyes on this character, Serge Benhayon of Universal Medicine, and subject of 100+ page RR forum thread. His speciality is cathartic hands on trance induction. The photo is probably about 7 years old. LOOK AT YOUR OWN RISK. [www.news.com.au]

He doesn't look like that now though. Rather, he's looking gaunt, haggard and frankly, sick. Apparently he's requiring surgery for an eye disorder. But he's also looking like he's suffering chronic malnutrition. [www.echonews.com.au]

Posted by: shamrock ()
Date: October 03, 2021 08:00AM

corboy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I would like to know whether there is anything in
> the literature on hypnosis that describes (or
> explains) why gazing into a person's eyes would
> have such a powerful effect.

There's no need for any special gazing technique. Staring by itself can induce bizarre phenomena.

Italian psychologist Giovanni B. Caputo got 20 normal people to stare at each other in a dimly lit room for 10 minutes. A control group of 20 other people just stared at a wall for 10 minutes.

“The participants in the eye-staring group said they’d had a compelling experience unlike anything they’d felt before. . . . 90 per cent of the eye-staring group agreed that they’d seen some deformed facial traits, 75 per cent said they’d seen a monster, 50 per cent said they saw aspects of their own face in their partner’s face, and 15 per cent said they’d seen a relative’s face.”

Giovanni B. Caputo. "Dissociation and hallucinations in dyads engaged through interpersonal gazing". Psychiatry Research, vol. 228 no. 3, 2015, pp. 659-663.

[www.sciencealert.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/03/2021 08:02AM by shamrock.

Date: October 12, 2021 06:18AM

In this hour-long interview, a psychiatrist describes the power of intense eye-gazing accompanied by empathy: [www.youtube.com]

Date: January 15, 2022 07:53AM

The blog linked to below reproduces Rod Windle's and Michael Samko's "Hypnosis, Ericksonian hypnotherapy, and Aikido" from the American Journal of Clinical Hypnosis, vol. 34 no. 4, April 1992, pp. 261-270:

[michaelsamko.com]

Windle and Samko compare the hypnotist's gaze with a technique called "soft eyes" from Aikido. They say:

"Stephen Gilligan (1987) outlines a procedure for the development of shared or therapist trance. He includes a section on eye contact that is similar to the Aikidoist’s soft eyes, speaks of the need to breathe regularly and without constriction, covers the need to release internal tension, and, in general, covers many aspects of the Aikido centered state."

Their reference is to Stephen Gilligan, Therapeutic Trances: The Cooperation Principle in Ericksonian Hypnotherapy (New York: Routledge, 1987). Gilligan describes the induction of a sort of mutual trance between hypnotherapist and client using prolonged eye contact.

"Therapists following this procedure typically find themselves in an externally oriented interpersonal trance. Phenomenological experience usually alters: tunnel vision, motoric inhibition, 'body tinglings,' and other trance characteristics commonly develop. This may be slightly disorienting at first but is no cause for alarm; it is simply a temporary (maybe five minutes) 'transition period' from conscious to unconscious processing. If the therapist continues to comfortably breathe and externally orient to the client (perhaps making small talk at the same time), a state of unusual perceptual and cognitive clarity will often emerge. The therapist may have the paradoxical experience of feeling totally connected to the client, yet at the same time feel detached and impersonally involved. It's as if part of the self becomes totally immersed in experientially relating with the client, while another part dissociates and observes the ongoing interaction. This difficult-to-describe, 'a-part-of-yet-apart-from' state allows the therapist to be compassionate and yet dispassionate. Rather than being mired in processes of effortfully trying to figure things out, the therapist tunes into unconscious spontaneity. Observational abilities seem greatly enhanced; thoughts, often in the form of metaphorical images, just seem to 'pop up'; appropriate communications just seem to develop."

Posted by: facet ()
Date: January 17, 2022 03:18AM

This is such an interesting thread, I am yet to read all of it but just wanted to say that there are some early brain mechanisms, used or unused, it is not magic and many people are familiar with “knowing” that someone’s looking at you.. staring etc, I think that this alone is to do with the predatory nature of some early human experiences that our brains built the means to deal with.

One of the worst psychopaths I have had the interesting (yet exceptionally difficult) opportunity to deal with was intense in her glare. She could be across a crowded street and I’d look up and there she would be. Zoning in as if she was ready to filet me and serve me to the rats of the sewers or something.

It makes sense to me that there are particular brain chemistries activated on the gaze of another human, some nicer than others, as a scale of use, and in the case of the guru, they are misused and called “magic” since in the everyday world we can barely understand it.. usually we wouldn’t need to, we just go around and fall in love, communicate truthfully etc, but these days misuse is more prevalent.

Somebody really far up their backsides can take a mundane science and accredit it to themselves for being special. Sorry if this seems a bit harsh, I just wish it didn’t happen to people.

We’re amazing humans, so amazing, but not amazing over others, if anyone gets what I’m saying.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2022 03:28AM by facet.

Date: January 17, 2022 04:42AM

facet
I think that this alone is to do with the predatory nature of some early human experiences that our brains built the means to deal with.

Human beings certainly can be predators of other humans. Evidence of cannibalism is found in prehistoric Europe, Africa, the Americas, and Asia. It goes back 600,000 years [en.wikipedia.org] The energy-stealing tricks whereby the rich exploit the poor, the strong exploit the weak, are a kind of psychological cannibalism. You could say the same thing about the way gurus exploit the free labor of their cult members. The snake fascinates its prey by the power of its gaze.

Posted by: corboy ()
Date: January 17, 2022 08:27AM

Shamrock, thanks for this! Ive had a series of such experiences over many years and the article's description matches perfectly.

Am no therapist and received no special training.

Nearly all of the experiences happened in the midst of a stressful situation.

Not all of them were preceded by close eye contact.

We like to assume that possession of this talent proves holiness.

Alas, no.

It is terrifying to consider that a person can have this capacity in combo with the mentality of a predator.

Possessing this talent can be a burden. I've read some therapists describe how. for their own well being, they have to know when to stop using this acuity and turn it off before going home.

One therapist wrote how he learned NOT to use this to invade the inner privacy of family members.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2022 08:28AM by corboy.

Date: January 17, 2022 10:02PM

The energy-stealing tricks whereby the rich exploit the poor, the strong exploit the weak, are a kind of psychological cannibalism.

So true, it is a kind of feeding scenario, but just for any of our predatory alien believing readers I would like to point that in my saying that, it’s nothing alien. Very human, just early human. I find that in my situation at least it is worth learning about. Thanks for that Shamrock.

Am no therapist and received no special training.

In only my own experience, the action is ignited and reinforced in what is called hyper vigilance (as said from a therapeutic perspective- I am not a therapist I am a stranger on the internet).

Stress certainly brings hyper vigilance if continued on long enough, and in a state of hyperfocus on various senses whilst shutting down others (such as in a practice of the topic thread hypnotism, and I must add, meditation), only the same sort of thing is happening. With repetition, repeat bookings, exposures, run in’s, experiences, things get reinforced.

Date: January 17, 2022 10:16PM

Possessing this talent can be a burden. I've read some therapists describe how. for their own well being, they have to know when to stop using this acuity and turn it off before going home.

If it’s possible, I would love to know how.

Current Page: 8 of 10

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.