Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Dominion Christian Centre of Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Posted by: The Anticult ()
Date: October 29, 2006 07:43AM

Here is the full program VIDEO and TRANSCRIPT of a dangerous group being labelled a cult in Hamilton, Ontario Canada. Its a good presentation, and you can watch the entire story called The Pied Piper of Hamilton, the links are down on the right.

[www.ctv.ca]

Its quite a disturbing group, being led by a disturbing Leader, who targets young people using heavy metal style Christian music, and who uses profanity from the pulpit.

Unfortunately, a desperate family went and "kidnapped" their daughter, and tried to "deprogram" her and they even brought "Mary Alice Chrnalogar" the author of Twisted Scriptures, in to talk to her. Of course now the parents are being charged with kidnapping, forcible confinement.
So this is a good show for families to watch about what not to do.
"Mary Alice Chrnalogar" seems to condone "deprogramming" and parents going in and "getting" their kids from inside the cult.

Also, the Rick Ross 'Warning Signs' are mentioned about half-way into the show. Maybe someone can let Rick know about that?
Here's the quote

[www.ctv.ca]

A Cult?
An extreme interpretation of Christianity? Perhaps. But add to that the control, the isolation, the shunning of loved ones. And the people who attended W-FIVE's town-hall meeting came to one disturbing conclusion - they believe the D.C.C. is, without question, a cult.
"I think cult is ridiculous," responded Peter Rigo. "I went down Rick Ross's cult 10 warning signs of how to know that somebody is in a cult, in a religious cult. And we didn't match any of them."
The Rick Ross Institute is a U.S.-based organization that provides on-line information about what it considers to be destructive cults and controversial groups.
But the D.C.C. does match some of the warning signs listed by that website and by other organizations that inform the public about cults. Some of the warning signs? The church is everything. And those who don't belong, even family and old friends, are to be shunned. [/color:adba823862]

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: October 29, 2006 08:47PM

See [www.culteducation.com]

[b:1f2ab20e47]These 10 "warning signs" are not specifically designated as criteria to establish if a group is a "cult," but rather a potentially unsafe group.[/b:1f2ab20e47]

Absolute authoritarianism without meaningful accountability.

No tolerance for questions or critical inquiry.

No meaningful financial disclosure regarding budget, expenses such as an independently audited financial statement.

Unreasonable fear about the outside world, such as impending catastrophe, evil conspiracies and persecutions.

There is no legitimate reason to leave, former followers are always wrong in leaving, negative or even evil.

Former members often relate the same stories of abuse and reflect a similar pattern of grievances.

There are records, books, news articles, or television programs that document the abuses of the group/leader.

Followers feel they can never be "good enough".

The group/leader is always right.

The group/leader is the exclusive means of knowing "truth" or receiving validation, no other process of discovery is really acceptable or credible.

[b:1f2ab20e47]There are actually three principle criteria as established by Robert Jay Lifton to identify a "cult."[/b:1f2ab20e47]

See [www.culteducation.com]

A charismatic leader, who increasingly becomes an object of worship as the general principles that may have originally sustained the group lose power.

A process [is in use] call[ed] coercive persuasion or thought reform.

Economic, sexual, and other exploitation of group members by the leader and the ruling coterie.

Date: October 30, 2006 12:45AM

Right, that is an important distinction to make.
The list Rick Ross 'Warning Signs' list is about a potentially dangerous group. It doesn't say anything about being a "cult" in that list.

The TV program linked above is quite enlightening, as they have open interviews with members and critics of the group, as well as the parents of the children who are in the group.
I think they do a very good job of deconstructing what is going on.
Folks should watch the full program linked above, its well done.

Posted by: max29 ()
Date: November 02, 2006 11:12PM

I watched this documentary, and it is amazing. There was a mistake by the parents that they tried to deprogram Marella. But there is so much more to this story, the 'pastor' is crazy. totally crazy, he is extremely destructive, he comments that this is the bible, that parents are to be seperated from children, but he is just picking and choosing the words he wants to use to control the people. He crazy what about the care that Jesus had for his mother, when on the cross he told his beloved disciple to take care of Mary. what about that? This church is crazy, I saw that these parents are christians they are believers, they are not pagans.

This movie is very important for the people to see, all people who have something to do with cults

Date: November 03, 2006 04:35PM

There is something seriously wrong with this DCC.
Peter Rigo, their Leader, gets joy out of breaking up familes.

They have posted a statement of their beliefs, and they seem to believe in the Christ Consciousness type of idea, speaking in tongues, faith healing, greed is good, and also the weird idea of being "snatched away" to Heaven, as the world is going to end at any moment, etc, yadda yadda.
The small group of young people, getting hooked into this fanaticism, makes one think of the Heaven's Gate cult.
Especially now when they consider themselves under attack, and that parents have tried to "kidnap" one of their members.
Add on top of this the very aggressive heavy metal music, and sexual profanity from the pulpit...
I fear this is going to end very badly.

Here are some of their Beliefs.
[dominionchristiancentre.com]

6. The New Man in Christ
If any man be Christ, he is a new creature (creation) in the inward man. We are his
workmanship created in Christ Jesus. We are partakers of His divine nature.
(2 Corinthians 5:17; Ephesians 2:10; and 2 Peter 1:4).

7. Baptism of the Holy Spirit
The ministry and baptism of the Holy Spirit are to glorify Jesus Christ and to indwell,guide
and empower believers for life and service. This baptism brings the gifts or enablements of the
Holy Spirit and their uses to the forefront of the ministry of the Body of Christ. This
experience is distinct from the subsequent to the experience of the new birth and is evidenced
by the initial physical sign of speaking with other tongues as the Spirit of God gives utterances.
(Acts 2:1-4).

8. Divine Healing
The anointing work of Jesus Christ provides not only salvation but healing and prosperity for
all believers.
(Matthew 8:16&17).

9. Church- The Body of Christ
The true Church is the composition of all those who have been born again. Through the new
birth, believers are united together as the Body of Christ. Jesus Christ is the Lord and Head of
the Church.
(Ephesians 1:22&23).

10. Water Baptism
All who believe in Jesus Christ as their Saviour and have been born again are commanded to
be immersed in water as a declaration that they identify with the death of Christ and have been
raised with Him in newness of life.
(Mark 16:16 Salvation by Faith)

11. Lord’s Supper
The Lord’s Supper, or Communion, is a symbolic expression of our sharing the divine nature
of our Lord Jesus Christ as well as a memorial of his suffering, death, and prophecy of His
second coming.
(1 Corinthians 11:23-31).

12. The Blessed Hope
The blessed hope of the Church is the resurrection of those who have fallen asleep in Christ
and their translation (catching away to Heaven) together with those who are alive and remain
unto the coming of the Lord.
(1 Thessalonians 4:16-17; Romans 11:27; and Titus 2:13)

Posted by: bd... ()
Date: November 06, 2006 03:55AM

Thanks to "The Anticult" for providing a link to the DCC.
The website makes it all appear so benign.

bd...
[breakingthefaithbarrier.blogspot.com]

On this topic:
[breakingthefaithbarrier.blogspot.com]

Date: November 06, 2006 06:29AM

No way it looks harmless, it looks really scary and controlling. The people who are members of the church basically seem to say, so what if it is a cult I like it. This seems strange to me. There needs to be some investigation because it seems to be there is no one able to hold this man accountable.

Date: November 06, 2006 08:52AM

I may have missed something (because I didn't spend much time on the DCC website), but what I did see made their organization [i:69db4a4814][b:69db4a4814]appear[/i:69db4a4814][/b:69db4a4814] pretty harmless.

The W-FIVE story showed them to be something else, which was indeed scary and controlling.

In fact, it was that story on CTV that led me to this website and to other eye-opening threads (such as the one about the movie, "Jesus Camp"). (More scary stuff! Truly frightening!)

bd...

Date: November 07, 2006 02:11AM

It is important to watch all 5 of these clips on thhe program, when you look at it as a whole the image becomes really clear, you are right the Jesus camp movie is really disturbing too. the truth is there are many groups around right now who are seperating families, friends and loved ones for a holy war, that is all in the minds of the extremists.

This discussion is really in regards to the DCC and especially Rigo, who from his disturbing attitude towards family memebers and ex congregation members really seems to be at the beginning stages of radical manipulation and control. He shows a blatant disregard for members loved ones and members own personal hopes and dreams, really displaying that they are being used for his own minds view of reality. It is really easy for him to say that God whispered somehting in his ear for him to do, and have power over people, and that is the problem. there is no one there who seems to be able to hold Rigo accountable for what he says or does. that is a problem.

no hard feeling, I understand this is a forum for discussion, sorry if it seemed i was attacking your comment.

Date: November 07, 2006 11:40AM

No hard feelings at all. (Upon reading your first response, I realized that my comment wasn't particularly clear, and that my initial reaction to the program was posted over at the CTV-W-FIVE forum (and on my blog), not here. I was glad you replied. It prompted me to clarify.) Cheers!
bd...

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.