Current Page: 2 of 4
Emotional Freedom Technique - EFT, Therapists, Abraham Hicks
Posted by: Vigilant ()
Date: January 20, 2007 12:13PM

Gallo's work is on the borderline of credibility. The TFT process has been widely discredited, including sanctions against practicioners in Arizona. Your reference belies knowledge of these fringe mental health procedures. Many of these individuals are unlicensed and using unproven techniques on unsuspecting individuals.

I have done my research and would direct you to CSICOP, JREF or Quackwatch for a healthy dose of relaity.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: February 11, 2007 09:01AM

I don't know if this is a good sign or not. I am posting from a bar. my wife is still pursuing EFT and some other alternative approaches. she is also seeing a legitimate psychologist. so there is hope, however, I am now prepared to walk away. she needs a lot of help. private to QL, my heart goes out to you.

Posted by: question lady ()
Date: February 11, 2007 09:50AM

Vigilant,

Thanks for your understanding. Sorry to hear you are still having troubles. I hope your wife found a good psychologist. As you know, even the licensed folks vary widely in quality.

Remember to take good care of yourself.

Posted by: vaidya ()
Date: February 14, 2007 05:44AM

Vigilant
Gallo's work is on the borderline of credibility. The TFT process has been widely discredited, including sanctions against practicioners in Arizona. Your reference belies knowledge of these fringe mental health procedures. Many of these individuals are unlicensed and using unproven techniques on unsuspecting individuals.

I have done my research and would direct you to CSICOP, JREF or Quackwatch for a healthy dose of relaity.

i don't know about the other organizations but quackwatch aka stephen barret is notoriously one-sided and biased in his perspective

barret is an old guy, and seemingly still under the mistaken comprehension that clinical truths are a shifting reality - his paradigm is old school and on the way out - just look at the number of medicl schools offering CAM education, and especially in nursing

clearly you have only read other opinions on TFT/EFT and haven't actually practiced it yourself

probably you would also have a problem with acupuncture as well, upon which TFT/EFT are based, since qi cannot be proven to exist in material sense

my experience with the tecnhique is that is does "work" - what isn't clear is how long the technique lasts, and various reasons are given as to why a treatment doesn't "hold"

Date: February 14, 2007 05:45AM

barret is an old guy, and seemingly still under the mistaken comprehension that clinical truths are a shifting reality

***sorry, i meant to say "are NOT"

Date: February 14, 2007 10:49AM

clearly you have been living in my house and know just what I have and have not done. one of callahan's best disciples has denounced him and TFT. there is no study even hinting at EFT's efficacy, beyond the placebo effect. CAM is offered as a course in many medical schools in order to inform students about the range of treatments their patients may encounter.

at least you acknowledge the unverifiable nature of qi and unprovability of acupuncture. your defense of this pseudoscience and ad hominem assault on barret reveal your lack of integrity

Date: February 14, 2007 12:58PM

Vigilant
clearly you have been living in my house and know just what I have and have not done. one of callahan's best disciples has denounced him and TFT. there is no study even hinting at EFT's efficacy, beyond the placebo effect. CAM is offered as a course in many medical schools in order to inform students about the range of treatments their patients may encounter.

at least you acknowledge the unverifiable nature of qi and unprovability of acupuncture. your defense of this pseudoscience and ad hominem assault on barret reveal your lack of integrity

so whereas i don't know the color of your table cloth you apparently know that i lack integrity - you must be a mighty person, to perceive this through a few series ones and zeros

quackbusters is a fraud, and has been revealed to be so on countless occassions - its an unreliable and totally biased source of information

incidentally, most medicos like barret clearly don't even know that they are actually refering to themselves, since the origin of the name "quack" actually refers to the "quack" medical doctors of the 19th and 20th centuries that used "quack" (quick) silver (i.e. mercury), along with bloodletting, in the treatment of almost ALL disease and jolly well killed most of their patients (puts the medical journal "The Lancet" in some perspective now, doesn't it)

but we can all see that you are skeptical rationalist, ready to challenge anything that doesn't fit into your neat little set of aristotlean logic - well, it may surprise you that there are other ways to measure the world

yes there are people that have "denounced" TFT (but let's be specific - what Monica Pignotti criticized in an acdemic and scholarly way was Callahan's VT, not the entire field of energetic psychology) but there are many more practitioners that previously advocated frontal lobotomies and electroshock therapy that have shied away from these treatments as well - at least the field of energetic psychology follows the bottom line hippocratic maxim

which brings me to the fact that the [b:caf7c5d5f1]medical system remains the #3 killer of americans[/b:caf7c5d5f1], and that doesn't even take into account medical errors (would you like citations??)

despite the shrill whining of people like you and barret the public and practitioners have a right and a very good reason to investigate alternatives, to shift the paradigm around how we view disease and the patient because clearly modern medicine is an non-sustainable public health disaster

as for your nonsensical claim that medical doctors are just doing their due diligance by boning up on CAM, many of the leaders in the CAM field ARE medical doctors and allied health professionals, and are pushing developments in the field forward by develop new research methodologies that take into account the unique nature of CAM treatments; see [www.cameraresearchnetwork.ab.ca]

if you are an intelligent person then please take a look at a drug pharmacopeia and you will see that the pharmacology of many drugs are not well understood, sometimes not understood at all, and yet they continue to be prescribed, even for off label purposes

so what is this quakery you complain of?

Date: February 14, 2007 01:32PM

vigilant i guess it is pretty good that you are in counseling because with a hostile and antagonstic attitude like you have display i can see why your wife went looking for an "alternative" - hopefully the therapist will reflect this back to you

i know its confusing and strange and weird and so you search for answers, but you aren't going to get anything really useful from relying upon biased secondary sources like barret - it just feeds your skeptical attitude, and no marriage can survive that

if you still love her and want to be married why not go with your wife to one her things, even tho its flakey and weird - who cares? - be a man for god's sake! show an interest in her interests, and maybe she might reciprocate with something nice for you

but if are just going to play a stephen barret to her roger callahan you may as well get divorced now and save urself some time

Posted by: The Anticult ()
Date: February 14, 2007 01:38PM

Here is a good article about EFT and TFT.

[skepdic.com]

Posted by: question lady ()
Date: February 14, 2007 01:45PM

vaidya,

I agree that the medical establishment has made, and continues to be fallible. That does not mean that all things "new age" are infallible. It is a question of discerning what works and what doesn't, whether traditional or non-traditional.

When my husband tried EFT, I tried it a bit too. It didn't work for either of us. Then he went on to something else which doesn't seem to be helping him. I have practiced Chi Qigong for years and find it greatly beneficial. There are beneficial energy treatment methods, but I haven't seen any evidence that EFT is one of them.

Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.