Pages: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Emotional Freedom Technique - EFT, Therapists, Abraham Hicks
Posted by: Vigilant ()
Date: October 17, 2006 12:57AM

:!: Holy smoke, I have been reading these forums and am very worried about the bahavior of my wife with regard to her new found "program". The program is called Emotional Freedom Technique. It was developed by Gary Craig and seems to be a derivative of self-hypnosis. She sought our a "therapist" in order to help her deal with chronic migraine headaches. She does seem to be better in that regard, however, her relationship with her therapist turned into an affair and her interest in "alternative" philosphies is becoming a little obsessively frightening. She is a well educated woman, a trained medical practicioner and generally brilliant.

We have been married 16 years and have two beautiful boys (8 and 5). Although our marriage has had some moments, we have great parents and a good lifestyle. Some of the avenues she is pursuing include the teachings of Abraham-Hicks, the Mayan Calendar Code, Diksha Energy Transfer and a host of other "speculative" philosohies. She has viewed the Secret and thought What the Bleep was gospel.

Help!

She has agreed to go to counseling but the more I read in this cult posting, the more concerned I am about what our marriage is facing. This seems to be stemming from some self-esteem issues and an inability to manage her migraines.

We have our ups and downs, but this delving into the "fantastic" really has me concerned. Any advice on how to deal with this? I am scientificually trained and have already experienced a very negative reaction when I tried to engage her in a discussion about Dr. Masura Emoto's supposed "smart water".

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: jograves ()
Date: October 17, 2006 07:54AM

I hate to say this, but from your statement that she had an affair with her therapist, it sounds to me like one of two scenarios:
1. She has the "fourteen-year itch" and wants a little excitement.
2. She was manipulated by her "therapist" and is in danger of being indoctrinated into some cultish activities.

If she wants something new there isn't a lot you can do except maybe suggest you try it together.

If she is really being programmed by someone else, (the therapist?), you can try what is suggested here (in "getting help") on how to help a loved-one in a cult. Sometimes people come around if they can be shown how they've been manipulated.
There is probably no point in pointing out the fallacies in the fantasies. From what I've seen, people reach for the fantastic when they are unhappy with real life.

Posted by: Brad69 ()
Date: October 17, 2006 12:53PM

Hi Vigilant

For more on Abrahams-Hicks, read this thread [board.culteducation.com]

Taken from that thread is the following interesting post:

In the mid 70's to mid 80's, Jerry Hicks was an Amway distributor; some diamond level, based in Fresno CA. He's from Arkansas and said he was an "entertainer" - whatever that means. His wife at the time was a charming older lady from the South,maybe Texas. They presented themselves as darling chaming southern hospitality type couple. I think she had the money that set up the successful and elegant lifestyle they used to attract new recruits to their Amway organization - always selling the dream of riches.During his presentations of the Amway business plan to groups of people at hotel and restaurant meeitng rooms, Jerry would start off with a sort of metaphysical babble about becoming who you think yourself to be, etc. etc. That you are here now doing this because it is what you always wanted to do, etc. etc. Kind of mind numbing stuff, but
everyone was in awe of him - very charasmatic and handsome - so they listened and some people bought into it and the Amway groups took on a new meta-physical dimension. Turns out that this is the beginnings of the stuff that Esther now channels' and they call it "Abraham." I guess that sells better than Mohamed, or Shiva. One of the couples (Amway was very big on married couples) that Jerry recruited into his organization about 1978, was Esther and her then husband "R", from Fresno. After a couple of years of working "closely together", Jerry and Esther left their spouses and moved in together, later marrying after the divorce dust settled. About this time their Amway groups had begun declining, but Jerry and Esther had already started switching their revenue sources to selling tapes and seminars to their Amway down-line organization, and new followers.
Jerry was doing generic 'Think and Grow Rich' seminars and that kind of thing. Jerry learned from Amway that there is always a large and financially viable number of people that need to feel involved in a warm and fuzzy clique, an 'inner circle' of people who know the truth and promote a way of thinking that holds out the hope of prosperity and happiness, but never quite gets there, so you have to buy some more tapes or attend another seminar.
You gotta hand to these two, they figured out a pretty nifty way to travel, live a luxury life, and not work too hard - problem is - it's all b.s. IMHO

Interestingly, though, the Hicks have distanced themselves from The Secret. They claim it was too focused on the material.

July 14, 2006

Dear Esther,

We have both been profoundly impacted by the work you have done, and the wisdom of Abraham through your tapes and books. We’ve integrated many of the principles – and, of course still have work to do!

Given our natural affinity for your work, we awaited with anticipation, The Secret on DVD. We are unhappy to report though that we are very disappointment with many of the messages contained in this film. We are writing this letter with the intent to communicate our concern regarding this movie, in a respectful and loving way.

From our perspective, the messages in the movie, The Secret, seemed disproportionately slanted toward the attainment of material wealth and we are curious if this was your intention for the movie.

We realize that this may be one way to reach to the mass of people who are not familiar with the Law of Attraction, and yet it saddened us to see such a high percentage of examples on obtaining cars and houses. Not that there is anything wrong with these examples – however, we feel there were great opportunities to inspire viewers to consider the Law of Attraction not only for material wealth, but also to attract fulfilling work, spiritual growth and development; better relationships; community development; and even peace in the world. These topics were covered at the end of the movie, but not integrated throughout the film.

We both appreciate and love your contribution to the world’s spiritual development which is evident in all of your books and tapes. The movie, The Secret though, seems to have missed an opportunity to remind us of the traps in focusing on outward signs of happiness through the attainment of objects instead of developing our internal core.

Thank you for taking the time to read our letter which is sent with love and appreciation for all that you have given to the world. We hope we are serving the greater good by sending these concerns to you. We would appreciate hearing back from you.

With respect and gratitude,
Stacy and Andrea

Their reply:

Dear Stacy,

The Australian producer of “The Secret” has been inspired by the teachings of Abraham as well as many other remarkable teachers. What was aired in this special was as much a “secret” to Jerry and Esther as it was to everyone else. Jerry and Esther were merely invited to participate and accepted the invitation. It was not produced by Abraham-Hicks Publications, and we are not currently marketing the DVD.

Although Jerry & Esther appreciate many aspects of the finished film, it ended up being quite different from what they had originally contracted to participate in. So when the producer recently insisted on further significant changes in their agreement regarding marketing, distribution, and theatrical rights, Jerry & Esther opted instead to be cut out of the film altogether. This is still in negotiation.

Thank you for your feedback. We will pass it along to Jerry and Esther.

Have a great day,
Jeanne

For more on What the Bleep?, read here [board.culteducation.com]

Ramtha's School of Enlightenment financed What the Bleep. For more on JZ Knight, aka Ramtha, read here [www.culteducation.com]

Read here too: [en.wikipedia.org]

For some stuff on beliefs from The Secret, you can find out more here [board.culteducation.com] and here [board.culteducation.com]

Good luck. This stuff can be so misleading.

Posted by: anon0820 ()
Date: October 17, 2006 06:49PM

Not that Wikipedia is gospel, but here's information on EFT:

[en.wikipedia.org]

Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: October 17, 2006 07:56PM

Whenever reading anything at Wikipedia keep in mind that the process includes anyone willing to spend the time contributing and editing. This frequently incudes proponents or opponents attempting to use Wikipedia to express their point of view.

And one side with persistence may dominate an entry regardless of the facts.

Note the disclaimers posted on Wikipedia.

Date: October 17, 2006 09:54PM

This process is so complicated. I have hit all the sites recommended, I am a bit of an information hound! What surprises me is just how vulnerable someone can be from a malevolent influence! This character my wife got involved in is a garden variety snake oil salesman and "svengali". The additional elements (A-H, Mayan Calendar Code,etc.) simply add to the mystique.

Its also tough to challenge without sounding like I am attacking her beliefs. Thank god we are in counseling. It may be the only thing that saves our marriage. I have read with horror the stories of loved ones drifting out into the unknown before anyone realizes it.

A word of advice - never take anything for granted in your relationship and be prepared to do a lot of forgiving! Both for yourself and your significant other.

Posted by: starbright ()
Date: January 17, 2007 06:15PM

Dear Vigilant

Whilst I truly feel very sorry for the predicament you find yourself in, having been there myself as the "wronged" spouse, I don't feel that blaming the "snake oil salesman" is the way to go here. Have you ever thought that your wife (as did my husband) has/had FREE WILL. You already described her thus:

[b:92beb8e8ad]She is a well educated woman, a trained medical practicioner and generally brilliant. [/b:92beb8e8ad]

So one would think an educated, intelligent person would know the difference between [b:92beb8e8ad]right[/b:92beb8e8ad] and [b:92beb8e8ad]wrong[/b:92beb8e8ad] - no? This is not about Cults, Sects or New Religious Movements or brain washing - this is about the difference between what one perceives as being the right or wrong thing to do.

My ex-husband blamed his wrong-doing on many things, his dysfunctional childhood amongst many others, but as far as I am concerned and something that I still maintain is that he had FREE WILL, and he [u:92beb8e8ad][b:92beb8e8ad]chose[/b:92beb8e8ad][/u:92beb8e8ad] to do what he did, whatever the outcome. I would have respected him more if he was honest and said that he did what he did because he [u:92beb8e8ad]wanted[/u:92beb8e8ad] to, nothing more, nothing less, though at the time of course when we find out of these infidelities it always feels better to us to blame the "other party" rather than the person we love and are married to, I am of course talking from a few years of stepping back and seeing the [i:92beb8e8ad]big picture[/i:92beb8e8ad].

I would suggest that you read up a little more on EFT, Abraham Hicks, watch The Secret & What The Bleep Do We Know DVD's and read up on other "alternate therapies" or the choices in life she or me have chosen to make and see if that is what caused your wife to have an affair as I don't see in my understanding or studying of any of these things, where there is at any point in any of these, [u:92beb8e8ad]anybody, anywhere [/u:92beb8e8ad] telling you to go out and have an affair or commit any other indiscretion.

Infidelity or fidelity is a choice we make according to our own free will, morals, ethics and conscience. The above "therapies/lifestyles" , do all [i:92beb8e8ad]preach[/i:92beb8e8ad] one thing however I admit, and that is that our purpose in life is to feel good, to feel better about ourselves, to be positive in our lives and not negative, to be kind to other people and to be the best people that we can be. IMHO opinion I don't see how that can equate to having an affair and hurting other people.

I truly wish you well and hope you can work this out and forgive her for the sake of your two very young children.

Posted by: kath ()
Date: January 17, 2007 08:05PM

An ethical therapist would never have an affair with a client :shock: If he is a member of any kind of EFT therapist's organisation even a New Agey one, they might throw him out for this.

So see if he advertises himself as a member of any organisation, they might discipline him. Anyway, it's worth complaining to his organisation as it would then be on record if he ever did it again.

Date: January 20, 2007 04:49AM

There are a couple of things at play here. One is the unethical behavior of the "therapist". I have done extensive reading on EFT and some of the other "New Age" philosophies. They all have a common thread in that they exonerate the individual from consequences of their actions as the describe their ability to "attract" only good.

The "therapist" took advantage of my spouse's condition and his position. She DID exercise free will, which I am having to deal with now. The matter of staying with someone who would cast off their committments so easily is a matter I am wrestling with now.

Secondly, there are certainly issues in our marriage and her past which have influenced her behavior and perception. The bottom line is that individuals operating outside of a sanctioned, regulated industry are far more likely to abuse their position (not that professionals are exempt!) than not.

This individual is supposedly a graduate of Gary Craig's EFT-ADV course. The shield used by most of these folks is one in which they have themselves "ordained" as a non-denominational minister and thus gain tax-exempt and regulatory exempt status.

Repugnant, really.

:x

Posted by: vaidya ()
Date: January 20, 2007 07:04AM

Vigilant
There are a couple of things at play here. One is the unethical behavior of the "therapist". I have done extensive reading on EFT and some of the other "New Age" philosophies. They all have a common thread in that they exonerate the individual from consequences of their actions as the describe their ability to "attract" only good.

The "therapist" took advantage of my spouse's condition and his position. She DID exercise free will, which I am having to deal with now. The matter of staying with someone who would cast off their committments so easily is a matter I am wrestling with now.

Secondly, there are certainly issues in our marriage and her past which have influenced her behavior and perception. The bottom line is that individuals operating outside of a sanctioned, regulated industry are far more likely to abuse their position (not that professionals are exempt!) than not.

This individual is supposedly a graduate of Gary Craig's EFT-ADV course. The shield used by most of these folks is one in which they have themselves "ordained" as a non-denominational minister and thus gain tax-exempt and regulatory exempt status.

Repugnant, really.

:x

EFT is derived from the work of Roger Callahan (i.e. TFT), basically, a dumbed down version of it

for a more academic dissertation of the subject i suggest reading Fred Gallo, and his book "energy diagnosis and treatment methods"

Pages: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.