Dr. Phil is cult-busting
Posted by: Brad69 ()
Date: November 03, 2006 02:02AM

My two cents is that any exposure of cults is welcome.

Doctor Phil doesn't claim to be a cult expert, but he is found in countless homes all around the world, including here in South Africa! He can get the story out.

The more these groups are exposed the better.

Dealing with people who have been exposed to mind control has to be one of the most frustrating, difficult, and trying things imaginable. Problem number one seems to be getting them to believe that their minds have been messed with.

Forewarned is forearmed.

Notalone, good luck. I pray it all comes right for you in the end.

Dr. Phil is cult-busting
Posted by: The Anticult ()
Date: November 03, 2006 03:59AM

notalone
I agree and appreciate anticult's comments, others too who have an open mind. It is very different watching the show and being on it. Only a small portion gets aired....you don't know how many hours of preparation and footage was really done to condense to the actual minutes for the show. That was over three months of work, by the way for the many staff members and me.

Yes, that show has a massive staff, of a hundred people? Producers, and everyone else. I don't know which show you were on, but regardless I hope things work out for the best for you.
Its true that they only put a tiny amount on air. There are certain "experts" who go on shows, and a days work comes down to one sentence! Or they get cut right out.

Supposedly the Dr. Phil show has an "aftercare" program, so hopefully you can also use those resources to the max.

Dr. Phil is cult-busting
Posted by: BobbiG ()
Date: November 09, 2006 01:09AM

Yah, it is good for the people on the show to get referrals. But Phil could do a huge benefit to more though the wevsite. There is nothing. No one is saying he is not helping notalone. No one is not being open-minded. To say that is actually closed minded. Phil is not the only one exposing - America'a Most Wanted did, local news did a long series, Larry King Live did. You gotta be careful of charismatic people taking credit for doing things their not totally responsible for. I hope she gets out but what about the others? What about the attorney general (AG!) being pro-polgyamy and saying he is anti at the same time. What about politicians looking the other way so they don't get higher welfare numbers?

Dr. Phil is cult-busting
Posted by: notalone ()
Date: November 10, 2006 08:53AM

Open-minded is exactly that, and some on this board are not. I never said Dr.Phil singlehandedly exposed cults.....I watch every show on tv I possibly can on about the topic, I know how many shows he had about polygamy. He was not the only influence on getting Warren Jeffs, I didn't say that, I said he was instrumental in getting the word out on that group....yes, others had shows on it too. Yes, he could have more on his website about resources for cult affected people, with the multitude of issues on his show, cults are only one aspect. I am not closed-minded for saying I appreciate the openminded people on this board...geez!

We all come from different vantage points on cults and the way they have affected our lives....each cult is hugely different, yet similar in many of the techniques they use. Some are isolationists and live in compounds, others allow people to live among others in the outside world, yet isolate their thinking and narrow their world of contacts. Those who have lived in isolating compounds and not seen their family for YEARS are at a different point than the others....their world is very tiny,and includes no family from former lives.

Some people don't like certain television personalities for various reasons. If you have never actually met them face to face and been involved for one reason or another in their show, then it's hard to judge what really goes on. People tend to expect miracles of these people who are after all, normal people doing extraordinary jobs in front of millions every day. I am grateful no matter what anyone says, to the fact that after many years of many avenues of tried but unsuccessful pleas for help, I found someone who was/is willing to give it the best shot possible.

Dr. Phil is cult-busting
Posted by: The Anticult ()
Date: November 11, 2006 07:00AM

It seems to me that this is one of the few places on the internet which isn't just about "Believers".
It seems to me to be more about Critical Thinking, and analysis, and telling the truth. Its about Skepticism of all claims being made, and looking at the evidence. [skepdic.com]

For instance, there are almost 500 comments about Dr. Phil here, and granted many of them are just being profane for the fun of it, there is valid criticism as well.
[ja.tmz.com]

So I personally applaud the fact that no one gets a "celebrity" free ride here. I think exercising the most powerful Skepticism possible is the best way to go.
But to be a genuine Skeptic, (not a Cynic), paradoxically, you need to begin with a completely open mind and consider all possibilities. But then, nothing and no one is sacred, and all will be analyzed carefully.
[www.skeptic.com]

Dr. Phil is cult-busting
Posted by: john231272 ()
Date: November 16, 2006 12:14AM

Can anyone tell me how you get your posts auto approved?

Dr. Phil is cult-busting
Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: November 16, 2006 12:35AM

No set rule.

A moderator may or may not auto-approve someone after a period of time or a few posts.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.