Attached parents
Posted by: zaflon ()
Date: August 29, 2006 01:16AM

Attached parents? Am I the only person to think this is a bit, well, strange?

[attachedparents.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Attached parents
Posted by: PennyBright ()
Date: September 11, 2006 10:17AM

Looks like pretty standard attachment parenting stuff to me. I'm not sure how up you are modern baby raising guides, but Dr. Sears writes on attachment parenting pretty extensively.

Here's the Wiki on it: [en.wikipedia.org]

and here's Dr. Sears directly: [www.askdrsears.com]

Attached parents
Posted by: kath ()
Date: September 11, 2006 04:51PM

I agree completely. Particularly those that practice 'elimination communication.' Some people have too much time on their hands if they want to take the time to avoid the 'negative restriction' on their child of nappies, and risk poo all over the floor. :shock:

Attached parents
Posted by: writerchick ()
Date: October 05, 2006 11:36AM

I was born a preemie and was in and out of the hospital for the first two years. My relationship with my family is odd and my mom believes we never "bonded" correctly. It may be that we are just not a huggy family but I always felt kind of apart from the rest of my fam. When I had my son I was determined to bond correctly even though my parents worried that because of my early experience I would not know how. I read Dr. Sears's book and studied other material. I consider myself to be an attachment parent. I sort of practiced ec (I too didn't have that much time) my son potty trained at around two. He is not perfect. But he is independent, intelligent, has well-developed motor skills, and is a very verbal child. He also loves me like crazy. He is a very spirited (kind of wild) kid. He has tantrums sometimes, acts out sometimes, and is a well-behaved focused little angel at other times. Quite normal but IMHO kind of exceptional. He is three, many times strangers think he is five. He might have been just as amazing if he had been non-attachment parented. But who knows.
Attachment parenting is hard, it demands a lot from the parent. It is supposed to be based kind of primitive parenting methods. But these vary between cultures and between geographical areas. The book Primate Parenting is a fun and fascinating read. It compares primate parenting with that of modern and hunter-gatherer human parenting methods. Kind of fun.
I think, as with anything attachment parenting can be taken too far. It is not for everyone. Like Ezzo's method it can be taken too far. The breastfeeding "nazis" who insist that every mother must bf are making it hard to be an advocate for other moms who want to breastfeed. Parenting style should be individualized and develops over time. No "one way" works for everyone or for every baby.
H

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.