Is Systema a Cult? Desperate for help!
Posted by: ConcernedSis ()
Date: August 21, 2006 12:05AM

My brother recently attended a vigorous, week-long training camp in Canada ran by a Russian martial arts group that practices Systema. He came back a changed man, had what we believe was some sort of "psychotic break" and was admitted into a mental institution. He is there now, and my family is desperate for any and all information on this group because we fear it may be some sort of cult. My brother came back talking about God and love, about having superhuman powers, psychic powers, powers of telling the future, etc. This from someone who was always so calm and normal and logical it's scary. I understand from reading their literature online that they do in fact preach this type of "superhuman" condition as a result of their "elite" training. Can someone help me? My family and I are desperate to help my brother in any way possible, but we are fearful of contacting the group as we do not know what they are capable of. THANK YOU!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: NathanA ()
Date: August 22, 2006 02:32PM

Seems no one else has replied to you so far. Truly I don't know either to be of help to you. If what you describe is accurate though, it seems the changes in your brother have been pretty disturbing. I can only offer you a kind word: that I hope your brother returns to a stable and sound state of mind. I hope you will find the truth, and that your brother will find real love in his life. Take Care.
-Nathan A.

Posted by: Brad69 ()
Date: August 22, 2006 03:52PM

From what you have written, there are plenty of warning signs that your brother could have been manipulated through coercive persuasion, thought reform, mind control, call it whatever you will. If it not that, he was put through intense pressure that led to what some call 'snapping'.

The effects of a week-long course can be pretty devastating and intense. While I know nothing of this group - and it is hard to gauge much from their website, my one suggestion to you is to educate yourself.

Try these forums, read around the Rick Ross website, try elsewhere on the Internet.

I would recommend the book 'Snapping' by Flo Conway and Jim Siegelman to you. It offers a good explanation of what happens when people snap - which it sounds as if your brother has done - from a number of different perspectives and it obviously comes after an exhaustive study.

I have read plenty of books recently on the subject and this offers the best explanation I have come across so far.

Researching, educating myself, learning, is what has and is helping me get through trying circumstances.

The time will come when I can put the information to use. Hopefully, it will be so for you too.

Good luck. I know people who have been through such traumas, as well as others on these boards, will be pulling for you.

Posted by: ConcernedSis ()
Date: August 23, 2006 10:25AM

Thanks to you both for replying to my message. I thank you for both your compassion and knowledge. I will definitely get that book on "snapping"...I am truly convinced that's what happened, even though the doctors haven't confirmed a diagnosis yet. We are supposed to find out more about my brother's condition this week. Again, God bless you both for replying. This whole ordeal has been like a waking nightmare, but your words and good wishes have brought me a bit of peace today.

Date: August 23, 2006 03:46PM

It's a pleasure to offer something, ConcernedSis.

Please, as you have questions, ask them. There are many people on these boards that are willing to share their experiences and their knowledge.

I have found that exploring what others have to say leads me on to other discoveries that are of relevance in my case. I see a phrase someone uses and, not knowing much about it, I google it, and so pieces start falling into place. It has worked for me, it could help you too.

Everything of the best.

Brad

Posted by: dwest ()
Date: August 23, 2006 04:51PM

I know very little about martial arts but googling Systema Cult came up with a few hints... many saying it is cult-like

[tinyurl.com]

Another discussion about whether it is a cult
[judoforum.com]

One final post on a board about martial arts
[tinyurl.com]

I hope that helps you a little.

Posted by: mjr40 ()
Date: August 24, 2006 12:31AM

From what you described, it sounds like a fairly vicious cult. Many cults will physically separate recruits from the world for 3-5 days in an attempt to brainwash them. For example, the Landmark cult does this in an initial 3 day session, usually in hotels, from Friday to Sunday with a followup on Tuesday. Opus Dei, a cult in the Catholic Church, does this with 5 day retreats under the guise of being religious retreats.

During these sessions, recruits do not have contact with the outside world. The reason for this is to prevent people from comparing the information/manipulation they are receiving to outside sources to make sure it is externally consistent with psychological norms. When a person's frame of reference becomes severely constrained, combined with little sleep and intense pressure over an extended period, normal psychological barriers and protections start to fail.

Date: August 26, 2006 11:54PM

ConcernedSis, how are things going? Anymore to report?

I hope things are settling down and you're finding some understanding and peace.

Best wishes.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.