Every Church a cult?
Posted by: l33tz33t ()
Date: August 15, 2006 03:00AM

Cult: Object of such devotion.

Every church has a strong devotion to god or who/whatever else they worship, So wouldnt every church be considered a cult?

:shock:

Options: ReplyQuote
Every Church a cult?
Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: August 15, 2006 03:25AM

See [www.culteducation.com]

Defining a Cult
Isn't the word "cult" a pejorative label used to discriminate against new religious movements?

No. It is disingenuous to ignore the historical significance and modern day applications of the word cult. Today many controversial groups, that have been called "cults", are seeking to either eliminate the word, or create through fear of litigation a reluctance to use the term. Some cult apologists have literally said that "'cult' is a four letter word," and should be replaced by the politically correct title "new religious movement" (NRM). However, historically cults have always been with us and they continue to be a part of the world today.

How is the word "cult" defined?
Webster's Dictionary defines a cult as:

"1. A formal religious veneration 2. A system of religious beliefs and rituals also its body of adherents; 3. A religion regarded as "unorthodox or spurious."; 4. A system for the cure of disease based on dogma set forth by its promulgator; 5. a: A great devotion to a person, idea, thing; esp.: such devotion regarded as a literary or intellectual fad, b: A usually small circle of persons united by devotion or allegiance to an artistic or intellectual movement or figure."

This definition obviously could include everything from Barbie collectors to old "Deadheads," "Trekkies" to diehard Elvis fans. American history might also include within such a definition the devoted followers of Mary Baker Eddy the founder of Christian Science, or the Mormons united through their devotion to Joseph Smith. Both these religious groups were once largely regarded as "unorthodox or spurious." However, the most important concern today is not simply who might be somewhat "cultic" in their devotion now or historically, but what groups might represent potential problems regarding personal or public safety. That is, groups that are potentially unsafe and/or destructive.

Psychiatrist Robert Jay Lifton, who wrote the definitive book about thought reform (often called "brainwashing") also wrote a paper about cult formation. Lifton defined a cult as having the following three characteristics:

A charismatic leader, who increasingly becomes an object of worship as the general principles that may have originally sustained the group lose power.

A process [is in use] call[ed] coercive persuasion or thought reform.

Economic, sexual, and other exploitation of group members by the leader and the ruling coterie.

Every Church a cult?
Posted by: l33tz33t ()
Date: August 15, 2006 03:47AM

Well basically the reason i posted is this is i dont know if im in a cult im involved in the Kings Chapel Church...which is now called Penial and all the stories mentioned on this site about it have seemed to be false.. I dont feel as if I am in a cult i just goto this church every sunday and sometimes thursday..

Every Church a cult?
Posted by: Sylvan ()
Date: June 19, 2007 12:16AM

King's Chapel/Peniel is more than just a devotion to God, it involves a devotion and loyalty and obedience to the pastors and prophet as well.
The "stories" you read were featured in reputable newspapers and are all true. People have died because of the influence of this group. Died. For reals. People I knew and loved. Families have been torn apart. My family almost was.

If you choose to not believe the articles, or me, or anyone else who escaped, I hope you'll be happy cleaning the church, or cleaning the pastors' houses, or helping to build additions onto their houses, or working at the tire shop or for the construction company for no pay, housing the flood of Brits who come to stay and work, taking your shifts for 24-hour prayer to pray for Syro and her brood and the businesses but not ever allowed to have your own ailing family members up on the board to be prayed for, having your family torn apart and reassembled with part of another torn-apart family, waiting to hear from Syro as to what name you will be allowed to give your child, waiting to hear from the pastors whether your current sweetheart is up to par or if they are a sinner and unredeemable.....

Every Church a cult?
Posted by: flyingspur ()
Date: June 21, 2007 08:04PM

l33tz33t

Every church has a strong devotion to god or who/whatever else they worship, So wouldnt every church be considered a cult?

Irrespective of what a dictionary says, all types of religious blind faith is as good as a cult.

Every Church a cult?
Posted by: ezdoesit ()
Date: June 21, 2007 09:42PM

l33tz33t

The most definitive characteristic of a cult is the abuse or exploitation of its followers. As a matter of categorization, cults should be identified by disinterested outsiders and not members or leaders.

EZ

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.