Helping someone to get out?
Posted by: krall ()
Date: August 10, 2006 07:22AM

Hello everyone

I left ISKCON a year ago.
It is really good to have site like this to share experiences but I noticed that there are not many sites on internet where someone can find information about cults and there are very few forums like this. I also have feeling that people generally do not take this things seriously because they lack personal experience and it makes me frightened because I know that cults can make a lot of damage to people. Reason why I am writing this is because I am wondering if there is anything that I can do to help people who are still there? Actually I wrote a letter to my friend in which I tried to give some information that may help her to activate her critical thinking but I did not do much because she is almost 24/7 active member of Iskcon and almost always surrounded with devotees. So, does anyone has any experience with this?
Another thing is that some people say that Iskcon become sick organization because of Prabhupadas lack of management skills and that philosophy he was preaching was authentic an so on.. Does this means that this philosophy should be preached to people although there are no scientific evidences about many important things regarding this philosophy (for example, according to Vedas , Moon is not Earth`s satellite but it is about 90 million kilometers far from Earth etc..)Also some say that problem Iskcon have are false guru`s which means that some day there will be some real, bona-fide guru who is going to teach that if you want maha-mantra to have effect first you must stop to make offenses to guru ,(stop thinking that he is ordinary man) then you must stop making offenses to maha-mantra(stop thinking that it is ordinary sound vibration).So in order for maha-mantra to have an effect I have to believe that it is not ordinary but special and because of that it can give great benefit.
This means that I am forcing myself to believe in something that actually may not be true.

It is now almost a year since I started to investigate what really happened to me. I am now very interested in Indian history especially I would like to know more about how Caitanya movement started and history of similar movements ,so I am wondering if someone have some information about that or some links on web pages? Thanks in advance

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: nccg_concern ()
Date: August 12, 2006 09:33AM

I like what this page does:

[www.caic.org.au]

[www.culteducation.com] is a good page too, obviously. Same as this: [www.culteducation.com] .

You could make a web site in which you talk about what you learned about the group. Such a web site can help people who are starting to think on their own and starting to look around, and it's something that can always be there for them to return to later. The free hosting on www.geocities.com is a great spot for that.

There aren't many message boards around, but there's reasons for that. Message boards can be abused pretty harshly by malicious people and idiots. Rick has to keep a close eye on this thing, I'm sure.

www.factnet.org has a message board but it's a little crazy, and they try to publish your IP address for each of your posts, which isn't good for former members who may be scared. But it's still a big, busy board.

Posted by: krall ()
Date: August 13, 2006 07:07PM

Thank you very much!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.