I didn't try hard enough?
Posted by: richardmgreen ()
Date: August 04, 2006 11:30PM

I live in a building where there's a business owned by Jews and the people who work there lean towards orthodoxy. So the worker asks me why I don't keep the Torah laws. I explained to him that I don't believe in it anymore and he tells me that the reason that I didn't succeed as a Baal Teshuva is due to the fact that "I didn't try hard enough".
My question is how to avoid speaking to all these little people and get to their leaders who put them up to all of this. It's a long story.
Years ago, I went to a Chabad day program and they gave me a sheet listing mitzvot to get my family to do. My mother and father said they'd do some of them but not all of them. I explained that the Torah is a system and you can't just pick and choose what you want to do.
Years later, I wound up at Yeshivat D'var Yerushalayim and the students there gave me the same rap. It all came back in my face.
But the guy I spoke to yesterday told me you CAN pick and choose. I can't seem to win.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: FaithC ()
Date: August 10, 2006 11:23AM

I am not a Jewish, but I understand your frustration. I believe the same thing with Christianity, you cannot pick and choose what you like and throw the rest out...

How can you claim to believe in the Bible, the Torah or any other system and then decide which parts of it suits you best? Aargh......

Date: August 10, 2006 06:36PM

If only this was a site where one could discuss doctrinal issues!

Then I might be able to give you some answers regarding the Law.

Though you already seem to understand clearly enough what the others you refer to can't see.

Posted by: FaithC ()
Date: August 11, 2006 03:23AM

I do understand what you are saying. I understand doctrine and I do understand the law (I assume you are referring to Jewish law)...however, I am not a scholar, so there is always something to learn.

I am the type of person who believes that you either accept the "whole" thing or else you must reject it....

I was reading a LDS thread here once and some guy posted about christians not being able to prove Jesus existed and how can christians prove their that the bible is true and then went into a rant about how the book of mormon is true and such. The biggest problem I had with that post was: uh, isn't the book of mormon about Jesus' ministry here in America to the Lamanites...? And don't they say that the book of mormon is a companion book to the Bible? Gee, either Jesus exists or the book of mormon is bunch of , well, dog poo.... you cannot have it both ways....

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.