democratic elections/accountability in cults?
Posted by: kath ()
Date: July 20, 2006 09:24AM

It is frequently mentioned on this website that groups could have democratic elections and that would go a long way towards them not being a cult.

But I know that if the group I was involved in ever had a 'democratic' election, the same leaders would be voted for unanimously.

This is because it is effectively a personality cult and also people are deferentially loyal to the existing leaders.

There is also no accountability in cults.

When I was a member of the Pagan Association (UK) I did call for the leader to resign after sexually assaulting me and my friend.

At the time as a relative newcomer I was under the impression they were a 'real' organisation.

Guess what happened- I was verbally attacked, my partner physically threatened, we were 'cursed' and oestracised with extreme prejudice.

I think if anyone has a grievance with a cult or its leader and mentions it, their grievance would soon require no change by the group, due to them being an ex-member.

Love
Kath

Options: ReplyQuote
democratic elections/accountability in cults?
Posted by: Gulab Jamon ()
Date: July 20, 2006 11:20PM

kath
But I know that if the group I was involved in ever had a 'democratic' election, the same leaders would be voted for unanimously.

This is because it is effectively a personality cult and also people are deferentially loyal to the existing leaders.

Exactly.

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.