Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
School of Philosophy
Date: July 17, 2006 09:07PM

I've an interest in philosophy and would like to study further. But in looking for a suitable course, I came across this website for the School of Philosophy. The extract from their website comes from the Melbourne, Australia page but the school has branches worldwide.

Drawing on the great philosophic ideas of both east and west, past and present, this course explores the meaning of wisdom, truth, consciousness, the real nature of Humanity and what inhibits its development.

It is for all, regardless of education, age, race, political or religious beliefs. The philosophy of the course is that Humanity in truth is limitless and that there is a unity underlying all the apparent diversity in our daily lives. This is known as non-dualistic philosophy.

It is above all practical philosophy. This means that the principles discussed in class can be put to effective practical use in work, study and every aspect of daily life. Simple exercises are given to strengthen attention, clear and quieten the mind. Students are asked neither to accept nor reject any of the ideas but rather to test them for themselves in the light of their own experience. No previous knowledge of the subject is necessary. The course is offered three times a year, in January, May and September. See Term Details page for the dates of the next course and the Locations page for addresses.

There are subsequent courses every term for those who wish to continue the study of this philosophy. In later terms students are offered the opportunity to practice meditation. The talks, which include the opportunity for discussion, are given at various locations and times each week. You may vary your day of attendance each week (Melbourne only). Please see the Locations page for details or call (Melbourne) 03 9818 0804 or (Adelaide) 08 8431 4145.

Talk about meditation and hindered humanity rang bells for me. Am I becoming social phobic!? Or should I be concerned? I asked for a rundown and was told by a contact that it was all about "living in the now"...

Options: ReplyQuote
School of Philosophy
Posted by: betsy ()
Date: July 19, 2006 08:06AM

This sounds like the School of Practical Philosophy. There are other postings on the Rick Ross site regarding this group. I've heard it's a another 4th way related cult.

If that's the case Stay Clear.

School of Philosophy
Date: July 19, 2006 09:33PM

betsy
This sounds like the School of Practical Philosophy. There are other postings on the Rick Ross site regarding this group. I've heard it's a another 4th way related cult.

If that's the case Stay Clear.

Yes, it is associated with the School of Practical Philosophy. I saw that on the web. Thanks for the tip.

But I have tried to find other postings and can't. Please point me in the right direction, anyone. A link would be great..

(Oh my god! Another friend taken in? I'm starting a list...)[/color:3d914d70ef]

School of Philosophy
Date: July 21, 2006 09:45AM

You can find it by doing a search on Gurdjieff. It will be on the second page of the results under "Cults, Sects and "New Religious

Movements'[board.culteducation.com]

School of Philosophy
Date: August 01, 2006 11:51AM

betsy
You can find it by doing a search on Gurdjieff. It will be on the second page of the results under "Cults, Sects and "New Religious

Movements'[board.culteducation.com]

I'll try. Thanks.

School of Philosophy
Date: August 01, 2006 12:44PM

I'm not sure of the veracity of this link but for anyone else who is interested, here is a link directly connecting the School of Philosophy or the School of Practical Philosophy, to the teachings of Gurdjieff.

[www.esatclear.ie]

Thanks for the tip, Betsy. This is the one.

School of Philosophy
Date: September 05, 2006 04:06PM

I wanted to bring this thread back because I am still hoping for some more accounts of people's involvement with the School of Practical Philosophy, The School of Philosophy, or the School of Economic Philosophy, I think it is sometimes called.

I have a friend who has been involved for years. Last couple of times I've met with her, she has asked me along: "It's great. We apply it to our lives.."

Any stories, accounts, appreciated.

School of Philosophy
Date: September 07, 2006 07:42PM

Hello Upside Down,
I've never had direct experience with any one from the School of Philosphy.
I know when I first moved to NY the name caught my attention and it crossed my mind to check it out.
Gives me the chills.
If I come across any new information, I will be sure to post it.

School of Philosophy
Date: October 19, 2006 11:19PM

I've been invited away for a weekend by my friend who is involved in the School of Philosophy. She is having several friends get together in an apartment in the mountains in Queensland for a birthday, I think.

And it has prompted me to look again for information about the school.

Diane Cilento, a former wife of Sean Connery, is involved and speaks seemingly openly about the school and its connections to Sufism, its connections to Gurdjieff, and her studies under some guy I think is called J. G. Bennett. There is lots of talk about self-remembering, and living a waking life.

I am going to go this weekend because I think it is a mutual friend's birthday and I have to go. But I want to be studied up on all this stuff in case.

Can someone spell Gurdjieff phonetically for me please?

And any other information is welcome. I don't suppose it is paranoid to be prepared...My friend has been involved in the School for years and so I suppose many of her friends will be involved too.

School of Philosophy
Posted by: carl ()
Date: October 23, 2006 01:10PM

Guess that only a student woud know. I wanna know if they have religion in their background or if it is worldwide or something. I think philosophy is just ideas without any religion or anything.

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.