The Laughing Yogi
Posted by: CityGuru ()
Date: June 18, 2006 02:08AM

I'm sure many of you have heard of the celebrity guru known as the "Laughing Yogi", Mahatma Anand Guru Yogi Ramesh. He runs the Universal Temple of Yoga and Inner Peace. You can see the vodeo of his laughing yoga technique here:

[media.putfile.com]
or
[www.metacafe.com]

Anyway, I was just browsing his web site and clicked on the picture section. He has a picture of himself (looking much younger) standing between the Pope and the Dalai Lama. However, the Pope doesn't look like any of the recent Popes to me, and the Dalai Lama doesn't look like the real man either. The Pope is definitely not John Paul II. I think it's supposed to be Benedict XVI. I can find nothing about the current Pope meeting the Dalai Lama, yet alone the Laughing Yogi. Something seems suspect. Even the "Dalai Lama" isn't wearing his traditional robe with the yellow sash.

Check out the picture here:

[universalyoga.org]

What do you think?

Options: ReplyQuote
The Laughing Yogi
Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: June 18, 2006 03:17AM

Seems ridiculous.

A couple of the photos are with wax dummies not people.

The Laughing Yogi
Posted by: Gulab Jamon ()
Date: June 18, 2006 03:58AM

I have a photo of myself with the Dalai Lama too. It's from Mme. Tussaud's wax museum. I've actually fooled people with it.

The Laughing Yogi
Posted by: medic8ed ()
Date: July 14, 2006 01:55AM

Yep. He's a charlatan, alright. But you have to admire the guy at least a little for having the [fill in your synonym for "guts" here] to post pictures of himself [i:f55a30f084]with wax statues[/i:f55a30f084] while claiming they are the real thing.

It's very sad that folks are desparate and lonely enough to fall victim to this spiritual predator -- but the sheer audacity of this guy posting those pics is just plain laughable!

Several years ago I shared a house in the "hippie part" of Atlanta (Little Five Points, if you happen to know the area). Among my housemates was a [i:f55a30f084]strikingly beautiful and charismatic[/i:f55a30f084] Indian graduate student. There also happened to be a spectacular wrap-around porch on the house, shaded by several venerable Oaks.

We (that is, the group of five or so housemates) came up with a plan whereby we would tout our lovely Indian friend as a guru -- a silent one who would be presented in a meditative prose on the shaded porch, surrounded by flowers that we planned to plunder from the dumpsters of florists around town. Meanwhile, we, her housemates acting as mediaries, would keep the patchouli incense lit and spout platitudes and non-sequitirs plagiarized from various new-age books while claiming to be at one with our beautiful guru's goddess-consciousness.

Our intent was simply to see how far we could take it, sort of a social prank/experiment -- we had no designs for collecting money, for example -- and our faux-goddess was willing to play her part (she was a very devout Hindu interestingly enough, but still agreed to go along with the prank, reasonably figuring that Ganesha and Hanuman would be amused).

But, even though we had gotten so far as printing up fliers to post and had gathered a porchload of just-expired flowers, our collective consciences kicked in and we abandoned the project at the last moment -- our hearts would simply not allow us be that deceptive, to play on that sort of human gullibility, even though it was only to be an exercise in social hacking.

Now, seeing this guy pushing his product with the endorsements of a waxen Pope, Lama, and some of Hollywood's finest, I wish we had gone through with it. This gut is utterly ridiculous. I can only hope he does not cause too much harm to the sad and lonely seekers who might fall for his ruse.

medic8ed

The Laughing Yogi
Posted by: pauliztarza ()
Date: September 03, 2007 02:30AM

Looks fake to me. I know pope sees guys like Fidel Castro and other government leaders but not some celebrity gurus.

It's just not the Vatican style and probably would send a bishop or something.

Good observation !

CityGuru
I'm sure many of you have heard of the celebrity guru known as the "Laughing Yogi", Mahatma Anand Guru Yogi Ramesh. He runs the Universal Temple of Yoga and Inner Peace. You can see the vodeo of his laughing yoga technique here:

[media.putfile.com]
or
[www.metacafe.com]

Anyway, I was just browsing his web site and clicked on the picture section. He has a picture of himself (looking much younger) standing between the Pope and the Dalai Lama. However, the Pope doesn't look like any of the recent Popes to me, and the Dalai Lama doesn't look like the real man either. The Pope is definitely not John Paul II. I think it's supposed to be Benedict XVI. I can find nothing about the current Pope meeting the Dalai Lama, yet alone the Laughing Yogi. Something seems suspect. Even the "Dalai Lama" isn't wearing his traditional robe with the yellow sash.

Check out the picture here:

[universalyoga.org]

What do you think?

The Laughing Yogi
Posted by: Harry Lime ()
Date: September 03, 2007 04:19AM

The laughing yogi is a Youtube favorite!
He's more of a parody on himself than a serious cult leader.
He's paid by corporations to get burnt-out, outsourced, Indian office workers laughing when they are stuck in cubbies doing telemarketing for American companies.
He figured out a way to make money by making people laugh. He belongs to the "fake it till you make it" school of thought. Anyway, laughing is contageous and makes people feel better.

Not a bad thing considering how much flack they get from "ugly Americans"!
"Why the F#*&* can't you speak American!"
"What the F*&%$ is your REAL name!"
"Why do we outsource our jobs to some F*&%^ing 3rd world country!"
"You f876ing idiot! What did you do to my computer!?"

No indication that he is leading a genuine cult.
Just because he is Indian and Indians love their gurus does not a cult make.

The Laughing Yogi
Date: September 03, 2007 04:26AM

medic8ed
Yep. He's a charlatan, alright. But you have to admire the guy at least a little for having the [fill in your synonym for "guts" here] to post pictures of himself [i:bedec33d5f]with wax statues[/i:bedec33d5f] while claiming they are the real thing.

It's very sad that folks are desparate and lonely enough to fall victim to this spiritual predator -- but the sheer audacity of this guy posting those pics is just plain laughable!

Several years ago I shared a house in the "hippie part" of Atlanta (Little Five Points, if you happen to know the area). Among my housemates was a [i:bedec33d5f]strikingly beautiful and charismatic[/i:bedec33d5f] Indian graduate student. There also happened to be a spectacular wrap-around porch on the house, shaded by several venerable Oaks.

We (that is, the group of five or so housemates) came up with a plan whereby we would tout our lovely Indian friend as a guru -- a silent one who would be presented in a meditative prose on the shaded porch, surrounded by flowers that we planned to plunder from the dumpsters of florists around town. Meanwhile, we, her housemates acting as mediaries, would keep the patchouli incense lit and spout platitudes and non-sequitirs plagiarized from various new-age books while claiming to be at one with our beautiful guru's goddess-consciousness.

Our intent was simply to see how far we could take it, sort of a social prank/experiment -- we had no designs for collecting money, for example -- and our faux-goddess was willing to play her part (she was a very devout Hindu interestingly enough, but still agreed to go along with the prank, reasonably figuring that Ganesha and Hanuman would be amused).

But, even though we had gotten so far as printing up fliers to post and had gathered a porchload of just-expired flowers, our collective consciences kicked in and we abandoned the project at the last moment -- our hearts would simply not allow us be that deceptive, to play on that sort of human gullibility, even though it was only to be an exercise in social hacking.

Now, seeing this guy pushing his product with the endorsements of a waxen Pope, Lama, and some of Hollywood's finest, I wish we had gone through with it. This gut is utterly ridiculous. I can only hope he does not cause too much harm to the sad and lonely seekers who might fall for his ruse.

medic8ed

Really too bad you didn't follow through with this plan!
Marjoe made a fantasitc movie exposing fake Christian evangelists. I think it came out in the 70's. He was the son of a real charletan pastor named after Mary + Joseph = Marjoe! LOL! :lol:

Perhaps the laughing yogi must know that these photos are obviously fakes - and are meant to make people laugh.

The Laughing Yogi
Date: September 03, 2007 04:29AM

"CityGuru"
I'm sure many of you have heard of the celebrity guru known as the "Laughing Yogi", Mahatma Anand Guru Yogi Ramesh. He runs the Universal Temple of Yoga and Inner Peace. quote]

Even the name of his temple is funny!

Hey, I'd plunk down $15 bucks to see him at the Comedy Store!

Re: The Laughing Yogi
Posted by: nirmal ()
Date: December 11, 2008 06:06AM

yea definately a nutjob. 'inner peace'......temple of inner peace...what a cliche! wow....he'sa yogic car salesman!

Re: The Laughing Yogi
Posted by: AvenPhoenix ()
Date: December 18, 2008 07:34AM

I wonder if he knows he's just being rediculous. If it's like... a Joke to him. Or maybe his... Oddities are how he sees himself and life.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.