prospective employer requiring Oxford Capacity/WISE testing
Posted by: frannie ()
Date: June 11, 2006 11:05AM

I had an experience this week that I will share with you.

I am unemployed and looking for work. I responded to an ad for a human resources manager for United Merchant Services Banking:

UMS Banking Main Office:
750 Fairmont Avenue, Suite 201
Glendale, California 91203
Local Phone: (818) 246-6767
Customer Service/Help Desk: (800) 866-1881
Sales/Business Development: (800) 324-8323
Fax: (818) 246-0902

I was contacted by Bob from UMS (they sell ATMs and smaller devices to scan credit cards) and asked to come in for an interview the following day. I went to their offices at 9:30a, filled out an app, talked to Bob for about 15 minutes and then he said they needed me to take a test. I said okay. He handed me a 200 hundred question packet with a "yes/no answer/no" response sheet. Bob had told me that UMS followed the WISE employment model. I didn't know what that was. Didn't know the "S" stood for Scientology. I finished the test and left at 11:30a. Two hours later Bob called me at home and told me UMS could not hire me because I had failed their personality test by having more than one set of criterion fall below their standard. I went on the internet and found I had taken the Oxford Capacity Analysis. I called Bob and asked him to send me my "results". Surprisingly, he emailed me same in a PDF. It was so hurtful for a job seeker to be told they failed a personality test and I told him, in an email, that I questioned why his company didn't just tell an applicant that they did not get the job instead of hurting their feelings. He did not respond. I'm sure I signed a waiver or a disclaimer to take the test. But, are "they" allowed to perform such testing and tell an applicant that their decision is based on a Scientology personality test? Probably an absolutely moot question and they can do what ever they want regarding employment practices. Still, I felt awful looking at the results. Ego ouchie.

Any hoo. I've never felt good about the mysterious "religion" of Scientology. Back in 1983 my boyfriend's younger brother shot himself in the head in what we will always believe was a situation directly related to Scientologist telling him he was inadequate. Very sad.

Thanks for your website and thanks for listening.

Peace and love,

Frannie

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: mindful ()
Date: June 12, 2006 09:09AM

What a strange job interview. Sorry to hear about your boyfriends brothers expirience with Sientology.
Keep your chin up and I hope you find a job soon.
Carol

Posted by: Gulab Jamon ()
Date: June 12, 2006 11:56PM

Lots of companies require applicants to take personality tests. I is a standard practice for certain types of jobs (especially sales and customer service jobs) and it has nothing to do with Scientology.

I've also been turned down for jobs because my personality type didn't jibe with the ideal personality profile for that particular job. Sure, I was upset, but I understand their decision. I don't have the outgoing personality needed for sales jobs and I probably would have been miserable doing it.

(edited for spelling)

Posted by: barabara ()
Date: June 13, 2006 12:17AM

[www.xenu.net]

This is hardly a standard pyschological profile test.

[www.wise.org]

Don't neglect to turn on your speakers; the music is part of the site experience, not to be missed!

Isn't this sort of thing covered by equal opportunity laws?
I would not consider it to much of an ego blow if the scientologists didn't want me.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.