"Big Love"
Posted by: jewels36305 ()
Date: June 02, 2006 07:51AM

I want to know what people think of the new HBO series, "Big Love."

I left a polygamous cult about 7 years ago and plan to start some kind of organization to help victims of polygamy. I am curious to see what kind of publicity "Big Love" is getting and if the publicity will help me in my endeavors. I'm biased, so questions, comments, concerns, etc. welcome.

I want to know what you think and what kind of view on polygamy this show is giving you.

Thanks,
Jewels

Options: ReplyQuote
"Big Love"
Posted by: Demon of Kolob ()
Date: June 03, 2006 04:58AM

I really like Big Love it is a well done show. It does show a few of the abuses that occur in polygamous cults. I already have a bad opinion of polygamy because I know about their abuses. Here in Utah the polygamy will make the news frequently. Do you about Tapestry against Polygamy A Utah organization to help victims of Polygamy. [www.polygamy.org]

To find out people think of Big Love go here [www.imdb.com]

"Big Love"
Date: June 03, 2006 10:57PM

Thanks for the input, and the links. I will check them out.

I am very familiar with Tapestry. I am a Kingston as is one of the main founders.

"Big Love"
Posted by: thunderbyrd ()
Date: June 30, 2006 06:41PM

Jewels: if you're still checking this thread: i think i registered on this board to dialoge with you more than any other question or comment i wanted to make elsewhere. I like the show very much, which is strange, the sopranos and deadwood are usually more my kinda thing. my wife taped the 1st few episodes and i started watching them and really got "hooked". domestic drama is something i just don't normally go for, but the interaction of these characters facinated me.

first, i know nothing from first-hand about polygamy. I think the veiw of polygamy in the central family of the show is very very sanitized - i think most polygamist's lives are more like roman's wives life or the women who live in the 'compound'. thus the show is (IMHO) setting up a false dicotomy - Bill's relatively benign life in the modern world, versus the "backward" lives of the less "enlightened" people at the "compound". therefore, to me the show is pretty much a pure fantasy. (but in reality, there may be thousands of polygamists who live like Bill and his wives. this is something you can fill me in on)

second thought: this show does NOT make polygamy look like an attractive style of life - not to me it doesn't. it really does make it look almost like something one must have a special calling for. the producers of the show re-inforced that in this 1st season by having Bill get the hots for his 1st wife, Barb. he just wanted to be with her sexually as much as he could and the other wives were an encumbrance to that. as a 47-year 0ld male who is glad to be slowing down in this aspect of life, this part of the show wears me out. and then one of 'em's like, 22?

3d: the interaction of these 3 women is for some reason really interesting to me. i can't explain it. I'm crazy about Nickie, manipulative and sneaky tho she is, she is so fierce and fearless when it comes to protecting her loved ones. i hope that over time, Nickie might be seen as one of the most heroic characters ever in a TV show.

4th: "big love" is one of the strangest TV shows ever. it is so low key, it's surface so seemingly dull, what action takes place takes a long time to happen, to ever get anywhere. but it really pulls you in.

5th: the title "big love" turns out to be exactly the right title, because in order to do what these characters are doing, it takes alot of love, tolerance, patience. (also money)

the main thing about big love for me is that it is a fantasy.

so there: some thoughts from an amateur would-be tv critic. if you need a run-down on Deadwood, just ask...

i am really interested in what you think about the show, Jewells.

"Big Love"
Date: July 01, 2006 02:11AM

Thunderbyrd,

Many ex-polygamists do call this show a "fantasy" of how polygamy really is. Most do live like they show with Roman and the compound.

I have had the opportunity to meet and interact with many different groups (When I left mine, many others tried to convert me to theirs). Everything I have seen in Big Love is something that I have seen within a polygamist family. Many of the Independant groups do live and behave this way. For the most part the show combines the many different groups into this family, Roman, and the compound. Everything I have seen on Big Love I have seen in reality, other than the credit card debts. But that would never be mentioned outside the home.

Thanks for the input, it will help. I'm glad you like the show. Keep watching. The more people watch it the longer it will air, and make more people aware of polygamy. It will take less explaining on my part in the future and will make it easier to get people to help.

Jewels

"Big Love"
Posted by: thunderbyrd ()
Date: July 03, 2006 06:57PM

JewelS: something i wonder about - what would happen legally and everything to a group of people who had been outed, the way bill's family is in the finale? does the sheriff come and arrest bill or what?

and by the way, i was completely outraged at how they treated Barb -one woman who DESERVES mother of the year, if anybody ever did, IMHO. i wanted to yell at them: "What the H do you care if she's a polygamist, you bunch of stinkin hypocrits?"

anyway, i know this forum isn't 'movie discussion board' ...but the legal ramifications seems worth talking about. and the "societal shame" aspect of this kinda gets on my nerves. it bugs me.

"Big Love"
Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: July 03, 2006 08:30PM

"Big Love" doesn't reflect the depth of suffering and despair many polygamists experience, especially the kids.

You get just a glimpse through the compound scenes.

See [www.culteducation.com]

Pretty terrible really.

"Big Love"
Date: July 04, 2006 01:58AM

rrmoderator,

When I watch the show I do see the depth of despair in the characters. I admit I probably see it because I have had those looks before and can read into what a look means.

I also believe that the American public does not want to see or could not handle seeing the complete realities of polygamy. I feel this show is a way to make it aware to people and who knows they may gradually add more into the show.

I feel that if the realities were shown people just simply would not believe it and then what have you accomplished.

Reality is not only the bad. I have seen good in some polygamous families. I have seen some families get along. Big Love, I feel is showing all aspects of polygamy and everything I have seen in Big Love is something I have seen in real life. There are many different sects of polygamous people and they all live different (to a degree).

Jewels

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.