Current Page: 2 of 3
Sect of Santo Daime and Ayahuasca Tea
Posted by: kath ()
Date: December 05, 2006 10:53PM

Brrrr. I've never been involved myself but I know people that have been. They were people who were into drugs, psychedelics and supposed psychedelic therapy anyway any excuse to take drugs, hence they went along to this, for the free trip.

Not just dabblers, people who live for drugs/trips. Perhaps you could call it an addiction in a way, they were certainly stoners but also had to take whatever drugs were going that they enjoyed. Were never experiencing consensus reality. Makes you wonder what problems they have that they had to hide from.

Not saying the genuine church/leaders are like this, but I have known this church or similar ones to be used by druggy lifestyle people as part of their attempt to justify their way of life as spiritual.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: December 05, 2006 10:55PM

S_Byers666
zelig
[b:cab319f73f]
FOLKS -- there is a good reason you HURL this stuff. You body has a higher wisdom and knows when shit is coming in that doesn't belong there!!!!!!!!![/b:cab319f73f]

Perhaps you also need to post this warning to the forums at www.ayahuasca.com ?

No doubt they would really be receptive to sensible advice.

Posted by: zeuszor ()
Date: December 05, 2006 11:12PM

kath
Brrrr. I've never been involved myself but I know people that have been. They were people who were into drugs, psychedelics and supposed psychedelic therapy anyway any excuse to take drugs, hence they went along to this, for the free trip.

Not just dabblers, people who live for drugs/trips. Perhaps you could call it an addiction in a way, they were certainly stoners but also had to take whatever drugs were going that they enjoyed. Were never experiencing consensus reality. Makes you wonder what problems they have that they had to hide from.

Not saying the genuine church/leaders are like this, but I have known this church or similar ones to be used by druggy lifestyle people as part of their attempt to justify their way of life as spiritual.

Do you think that aya and plant spirits like it can be used to achieve authentic spiritual/mystical states and that there is any legitimacy with their use in a ceremonial/religious context?

Posted by: S_Byers666 ()
Date: December 06, 2006 01:18AM

kath
Do you think that aya and plant spirits like it can be used to achieve authentic spiritual/mystical states and that there is any legitimacy with their use in a ceremonial/religious context?

Yes - I've been there, and did not suffer from insanity afterwards. But we were well supported by an experience ayahuascero.

But the spiritual and religious context is importsnt, as is the support before, during and after experiencing aya. Guidance is also necessary to integrate the experience afterwards.

If any cult is involved it is western tourist organisations (mainly from the USA) cashing in on the increasing demand for aya tourism.

Posted by: Acid Reindeer ()
Date: December 06, 2006 01:58AM

S_Byers666, thank you for that most comphrehensive and informative list.

Date: December 06, 2006 01:59AM

S_Byers666
If any [i:a2ade0fba8]cult [/i:a2ade0fba8]is involved it is western tourist organisations (mainly from the USA) cashing in on the increasing demand for aya tourism.

(my emphasis...) semantic drift warning! please don't degrade the already fuzzy mean of the word cult.

Date: December 06, 2006 03:38AM

zeuszor
kath

Maybe, but the people I knew who were going to this church were just druggies who used ever other drug going.

For a drug to have ceremonial/religious significance I think a person would need to not make a habit of taking a drug or more every day, a sacrament would be something they did only infrequently and not one of many substances they ingested depending on what was available out of for instance ketamine, ghb, acid, mushrooms, skunk etc.

This is not to say anything against this church, I don't know what their official ethos is, I can only speak about the 2 people I knew who attended it.

They just loved drugs.

So I don't know if this church is just being used involuntarily by these types of people or what.

Date: December 06, 2006 04:35AM

kath, I take your point.

for the very reason that you mentioned, I would hesitate to go to local christian ayahuasca ceremonies because I have a hard time mentally eye rolling whenever the topic of god, say, would come up. I would most definitely observe, though, if I had the chance in my area.

as to the matter of professional druganauts coming onto such churches to try something they hadn't tried before, you could look at it like sex education where you know that teenagers will have sex anyway, with the most promiscous and irresponsible at the most risk. so better have the experience in the context of a ritual with many experienced hands.

they also must have the option to refuse any person who doesn't seem sincere and capable of benefiting from the experience and in some way benefiting the setting.

Date: December 07, 2006 05:18AM

S_Byers666
www.ayahuayra.org

at this site they promise a cure for HIV, among other diseases. maybe they can, for I know, but I just thought that I would make note of that.

Posted by: zelig ()
Date: December 07, 2006 09:45AM

initiate
[b:855f79c29d]Stupid gringos![/b:855f79c29d]

I doubt the sanity of anyone promoting such a complicated, ritualistic, and potentially dangerous pharmeceutical excursion.

You are better off riding "It's a Small World" at Disneyland. Now there is a wormhole to other universes without the hurl! 8)

Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.