Activism?
Posted by: poorch ()
Date: May 26, 2006 07:59AM

There is a restaurant in my city that promotes Sri Chinmoy. It's my belief that Chinmoy offers more harm than good. I would like to do what I can on a local level to minimise their potential negative impact on my community. Does anyone have any ideas or experiences to share regarding what types of activism could be taken up?

cheers

Options: ReplyQuote
Activism?
Posted by: nccg_concern ()
Date: May 26, 2006 08:16PM

[www.chinmoycult.com]

[www.culteducation.com]

Nasty.

My first thought was to share information about them with the local community. The web site above looks to have the kind of information you would want them to know. I do not have many specific ideas on what ways to go about this, however. :/.

Also, I wonder if the restaurant can be pursuaded to stop promoting it. That might be worth considering, especially if you have any other people in your area who would be willing to work together with you on it.

--NCCG_Concern
www.geocities.com/nccg_concern

Activism?
Date: May 27, 2006 04:58AM

Thanks. Anyone know about the legalities (Canada) of postering near the restaurant? Even if the info is true, could someone get slapped with a lawsuit anyways for financially damaging a business?

Activism?
Posted by: Gulab Jamon ()
Date: June 01, 2006 03:30AM

Are you talking about Anand Bhavan? I've been to the one in Queens, NY and the food is very good. I was told, however, by the friend I went with, that the employees all work there for free as "seva" (selfless service) and are not paid or allowed to keep their tips.

Activism?
Date: June 02, 2006 03:36PM

This one is called Satisfaction Feast, in Halifax, NS.

Most of the staff there are not "followers", but even then have to give a cut of their tips to Chinmoy. It's filled with Chinmoy art, the menus have quotes by Chinmoy. Some staff, and definitely the owners, are devotees. There is also a Chinmoy meditation center in town.

I'm mostly bothered by it presenting its philosophy as something innoccuous or benevolent, when, in fact, the philosophy is secondary to the personal gain of one man. As the devil would have it, the food is pretty good.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.