Seeking information about SF Bay Area group
Posted by: shoshana ()
Date: December 23, 2020 10:49PM

I am seeking information about a group call SF Awakened Mind (https://www.sfawakenedmind.org). My friend is involved with the group and I am wondering if it's legit. Anyone know anything?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Seeking information about SF Bay Area group
Posted by: Resilient ()
Date: December 23, 2020 11:22PM

I don't know anything about this group, but I did just check out the page. A couple of things leapt out at me.

1) The only photo I could find of the "Respected Teacher" he was wearing sun glasses indoors while sitting as if for meditation. Odd choice.

2) He claims to teach Buddhist meditation (Tibetan) and has a lot of Chinese/Daoist influence (which is great) but offers chakra meditations TO MUSIC. This is not something that is commonly done in such traditions, unless it is along the lines of drums, bells, flutes and chants.

This is a group I would keep an eye on, since it is not a traditional sangha. I'd be curious to hear some of the online recordings that are locked.

Posted by: asjbfoo ()
Date: January 02, 2021 10:04PM

It's curious that on the about page he gives himself the Thai title Ajahn, while also never having mentioned any Thai training or teachers. IMO, at best, he's padding the resume to help get people in the door.

Posted by: shoshana ()
Date: January 14, 2021 12:55AM

Hi again, I think that this group may be led by followers of Frederick Lenz (Rama). The leader of the group calls himself Samvara. Does anyone know him, maybe as a fellow Lenz follower from the 1990s?

Posted by: corboy ()
Date: January 17, 2021 02:10AM

At this point, am convinced any time someone offers a 'free meditation class'
do an in depth internet search with a devil's advocate mentality because so
often these classes are used to fish for potential recruits. As the dope addicts
used to say, the first one is a always free.

People who fish will throw some bait into the water just to attract fish - a practice called "chumming". Thats the equivalent of the free meditation classes. Get enough 'fish' to assemble in one spot - then then they're trustfully feeding, drop the hook:(

Here's what I got when I put samvara and Lenz in the Google slot

Street Brawl in the Twilight Zone | WIRED
www.wired.com › 1999/09 › lenz-2
Frederick Lenz controlled scores of software companies and hundreds of groupies through his coercive teachings. More than a year after his death, the fight for ...
Missing: samvara ?| Must include: samvara

Frederick Lenz, Rama - Buddhism – Merging with Light
mergewithlight.com › about-rama
Frederick Lenz, Rama was an enlightened American Buddhist teacher, author, ... In the Enlightenment Workbook, Samvara shares these teachings with others in ...

The Enlightenment Workbook: Of Buddhist Mysticism: Samvara
www.amazon.com › Enlightenment-Workbook-Buddhi...
This item:The Enlightenment Workbook: Of Buddhist Mysticism by Samvara Paperback ... American Buddhist Rebel: The Story of Rama - Dr. Frederick Lenz.

Teachers | Page 2 | Rama Meditation Society
www.ramameditationsociety.org › teachers › meditation
The works of Rama ? Dr Frederick Lenz (including writings, talks, videos and Zazen music posted on this website) are reprinted or included here with permission ...

Teachers | Rama Meditation Society
www.ramameditationsociety.org › teachers › business-c...
The works of Rama ? Dr Frederick Lenz (including writings, talks, videos and Zazen music posted on this website) are reprinted or included here with permission ...

'Free Meditation'..might be a front for Frederick Lenz Rama Cult
forum.culteducation.com › read
Mar 9, 2018 — He presented himself as Buddhist. Lenz committed suicide in 1998. His followers are still active today. Lenz's Free Meditation classes never ...

Books by the students of Rama, Dr Frederick Lenz
www.ramalila.net › LetDrLenzsStudentsBooksTeach
Books by the students of Rama, Dr Frederick Lenz. ... The Enlightenment Workbook: Of Buddhist Mysticism by Samvara The Enlightenment Workbook: Of ...

Frederick Lenz - Wikipedia
en.wikipedia.org › wiki › Frederick_Lenz
Frederick Philip Lenz, III, also known as Rama (Sanskrit: ????) and Atmananda was a spiritual teacher who taught what he termed American Buddhism, ...
Date of birth: February 9, 1950
Died: April 12, 1998
Place of birth: San Diego
Missing: samvara ?| Must include: samvara

The Time I Was Recruited Into A Cult
jimpicariello.com › the-time-i-was-recruited-into-a-cult
Jun 9, 2015 — I have read other accounts about this Rama/Lenz person (who actually committed suicide in the 90's), and have concluded it was all hypnotism.

Controversial 'Buddhist' Teachers & Groups - View on Buddhism
viewonbuddhism.org › controversy-controversial-teach...
Nov 19, 2020 — Rama - Dr. Frederick Lenz, Claims to be enlightened on own website. "I know nothing that hurts a person spiritually more than being poor.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2021 02:11AM by corboy.

Earlier CEI Discussions about Lenzian groups
Date: January 17, 2021 02:37AM

As soon as the pandemic permits us to socialize in groups, expect occult Lenzian recruitment to begin again.

Classic method is well designed posters appearing on trees, phone poles, walls in affluent areas where students and young professionals congregate.

Lenzianism is a mush mix (what sociologists and anthropologists call a bricolage) of Hinduism Lite Buddhism Lite martial arts, twaddle about female empowerment* and references (hooks) from pop culture sci-fi.

(I say twaddle because Lenz egregiously exploited women)

Lenz was brilliant at growing his own talent - he recognized there would be big money in computers and pushed disciples into cybertech jobs in the 1980s and early 1980s. Just enough of his disciples were talented at this and remain loyal to Lenz to this day - that there is an important and highly influential Lenzian current within American Buddhism - and they hide their ultimate loyalty to Lenz.

This is why it is of the utmost importance to do deep research on any Buddhist teacher, including seemingly reputable Zen and Tibetan Buddhist teachers before getting socially and emotionally involved with their sanghas.

Zen Master Rama aka Frederick Lenz III Cult Information Archived Articles

[culteducation.com]

[culteducation.com]

The earliest post about Frederick Lenz was by DharmaLion back in 2005

[forum.culteducation.com]

Re: 'Free Meditation'..might be a front for Frederick Lenz Rama Cult

Lenzian Meditation events are likely to have music -- "vibes"

Lenz left lots of money after he died. His followers provide grant money many reputable Buddhist projects, whose members end up not knowing the dirty karma they are tied to without awareness of it - or without wanting to be aware of it.

Lenz Foundation American Buddhism Rama Deep Throat...Follow the Money, Honey

This turned out to be Lenzian

Nicole Grace, Kundalini, IDS - Integrated Development Strategies
Posted by: truecolours
Date: November 22, 2011 05:29AM

Hello,

I feel my friend has been sucked into a cult that seems to follow Frederick Lenz methods in San Diego and San Francisco areas. Leaders name is Nicole Grace AKA Kundalini . Anyone know anything about this or has been an ex cult member? Trying to get my friend out, and find out more about this.

Thanks!

Nicole Grace, Kundalini, IDS - Integrated Development Strategies

Tantra Scams 'Female Empowerment" by Westerners

Date: January 17, 2021 02:39AM

Note: Outsiders have every right to poke our noses into these Buddhist teachers and sects. Why? Because they are tax exempt. Those of us who are tax payers are the ones supporting them.

Two, our world is now tougher and and financially more dangerous than 40 years ago. If anyone gets entangled in a cult that has hidden its true nature when recruiting them and they emerge disoriented and poor, there's less of a safety net and jobs are harder to find. That is why we need to be so vary alert and not entrust ourselves to 'free mediation' or 'introductory satsangs' or 'darshans' by wolves in sheeps clothing.

Recommendations from trusted friends or bosses cannot be trusted. They may be recruiters on the make - or have been duped. I was recruited into a bad situation by a friend who was in a cult and had become an 'agent of deployment.'

Further note: your boss, your supervisor, your physician, therapist social worker should NEVER push their guru on you, nor pressure you to get involved with their meditation teacher/s. This is a power imbalance situation making such behavior unethical and reportable.

Posted by: DharmaLion2003 ()
Date: March 10, 2021 09:48AM

It looks like police divers finally solved the case of the disappearance of Frederick Lenz disciple Brenda Kerber, who disappeared back in 1989. There is already a news article on this site about it, see:

Remains of Brenda Kerber found

Brenda's remains were found, 31 years after her death, in a car underwater in a New York State reservoir. Her disappearance, as noted only recently solved, drew significant negative publicity to the group. Her late parents and others blamed her disappearance and death (then only presumed) on Lenz. With her remains now found, her death has been officially ruled a suicide, but it seems likely that her frustration with being unable to keep up with the demands of the group (especially financial) was a contributing factor.

I was a member of this group. My time in the group didn't overlap with Brenda's, so I didn't know her, but I knew her ex-boyfriend and others who knew her. During her time in the group, Brenda also worked at Stanford University, where I was a student, but to the best of my recollection we didn't cross paths then. Again, this was before I knew of the group's existence.

It is certainly interesting to say the least that Brenda's death by suicide by drowning in a body of water closely paralleled that of our guru a few years later. Of course, Lenz' body was found after a day or two and Brenda's not for over three decades.

Another odd thing is that Brenda's remains were found on the last full day of the Trump presidency. Lenz liked to talk about his supposed seeings about Trump's supposed past lives.

As for Samvara, who seems to have prompted this thread, yes he does seem to have a connection with followers of Lenz. Among those who still actively follow Lenz' teachings, Samvara is indeed a powerful force. I occasionally keep in touch with these folks, which is why I knew about Samvara's role, but since I'm not deeply involved with these people anymore, I don't know much about Samvara beyond what has already been posted in this thread. I don't even know Samvara's original name, only the name of Samvara.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.