Pages: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Eckhart Tolle -- Comments From Someone who Knows Him
Posted by: Christa ()
Date: June 20, 2009 04:57AM

These 2 posts have been buried at the end of the Eckhart Tolle "advaita" thread.
They deserve greater prominence.

I hope others who know him or who have been to his events will add to our database. The point is not to bash Tolle, or anyone. The point is to get information into the public domain so that consumers can make wise decisions, and to provide raw data for people who wish to analyze Tolle or his programs.

February 20, 2009 Wanderer77
Wanderer77
I don't know where to begin to comment here. I am not exactly versed on this site and rarely do I participate in chat rooms. I just want to add some information about Eckhart Tolle here. I have read over some of the discussions with much interest. I am delighted to see so much good common sense at work! For much of these suspicions are right on target.

I have known Eckhart since the fall of 1993. I met him through mutual friends back in England. At the time, Eckhart was a nobody. But a nice man and extremely intelligent. He lived very modestly after moving from London to Glastonbury (where I met him) and he was just the nicest person. He went by this name way back then. As far as his real name goes, it is Ulrich and he changed it after that life-altering experience he had--during the many years that went by where he started to study spiritual thinkers like Meister Eckhart. I think he changed his name because he was drawn to that teacher. And he also wanted to break from the former, unhappy person he was.

As far as speculation about his past, he did attend Cambridge as a PhD candidate in Comparative Lit. His emphasis was in Latin American Literature. (we later reconnected when he came to Northern California where I got to know him much better). His father lived (now deceased) in Mallorca. His mother lived (also now deceased) in the Black Forest--in Baden Baden. He went to see them every year at Christmas. His dad was a real character--a free-thinker, a former journalist,leaving Germany after he divorced Eckhart's mother when Eckhart was about 12 or so.

Eckhart is a very emotional and complicated person. Believe me, I knew a whole different side to him. Kind, thoughtful, and very sincere in his rich interest and devotion to spirituality. I recall, at a mutual friend's, he and I ended up having about a five hour conversation on everything from Latin American fiction writers to various mystics and eclectic thinkers. That conversation flew by. He is a very engaging, humorous and social person and it came as a surprise because normally, he seems so reticent and shy. Anyway--I remember when he was writing his first book. We were talking on the phone and he told me that he started writing this book--all in long-hand, mind you. We continued to have a very pleasant friendship and a year or so later, he ended up moving to Vancouver, BC because it was difficult for him to emigrate to the U.S. He had no relatives here, and no real external purpose for coming here. He just wanted to try out the "new world". Again, he was such a pleasure to be around in those days. We also kept in touch when he moved north to Canada. He was funny, he was a joy to talk to-- even on the phone.

To make a long story short--Tolle started out very modestly. Truly. This woman he met in a small class he was giving to business people in downtown Vancouver ended up speaking with him here and there after class and one day, Tolle asked if she would read his book--which was still in manuscript form. She did and later he asked her if she ever thought about the publishing business before. She considered what he said, and they pooled money together ( he owned a piece of property in London and I remember him going back to London at some point, so he could have some $ to live!!) (He never really lived on park benches, by the way. But he did drop out of that graduate program and meandered--with not a lot in the till so to speak.)

Once this woman brought out his first book, things slowly picked up. Tolle made as many appearances at every Canadian bookstore he could. He very gradually achieved his success. We kept in touch and always, he was happy to get together with me when he was in this area in the early days of his success.

Things changed. Without saying too much about myself, I too, am a writer, but I am not in his field. I am a fiction writer. Though Eckhart and I shared interest in things spiritual and he being a former student of literature, we had these things in common. But I would disagree (and still do) with my old friend on many things. Not that I outright told him this, but I never thought highly of the New Age/ Feel Good genre. I am not a fan of these books, although, I do think there are some exceptions and I absolutely loved his first book, the Power of Now. And I still think it's his best. I also think Eckhart is gifted in his talks. Some of them are amazingly brilliant. But I have to say the last time I heard my friend was several years ago before things got to where they are today!

Here it is: My old friend has become obsessed with his own success and I need to say, monstrously so. He has shown a side to me that scares me. He is determined to get as far up the mountain (exceeding his competitors like Deepak Chopra, Gary Zukov, all those other souls out there that crank out these books!) as he can go. I am afraid for him and a little afraid of him. He is no longer recognizable to me. Some say this is not unusual for these "guru" types. That sooner or later, things come tumbling down, thanks to a lot of hubris and just ego-overkill. That's right. Ego-overkill. Tolle--and I noticed this many years ago--we were out one day and ended up walking into a bookstore where Tolle knew the guy behind the counter--I busied myself browsing the books, but Tolle came off with an arrogance and know-it-all-ness that surprised me. I had never seen this side of him before--but I blew it off and didn't give it a lot of thought as he rarely acted this way with me. ( I am a woman, by the way.). Now it seems Tolle is all ego. And yes, it is horrendously ironic how he has made the ego anathema, when he has become an ego-maniac himself. I am sad to see it all unfold the way it has.

Sadly, being a true friend, a real friend, was not as important to Tolle as his voracious ambition. Let me tell you something , if I could, in my own modest experience at being human myself, Tolle is very unhealed. Some have speculated about his past relationships. I know of a woman in London; I believe he lived with her, but this was when he was in his 20's. I do believe he had that spiritual experience. That is true, but the weird thing is, it didn't really change the core person. It seems that Eckhart was one of those "know it all" students. He is extremely smart, and that is the problem. Smart and arrogant, if given the ground on which to become so. Know what I mean? When he was outside that academic milieu of a school like Cambridge, he was a nobody--and it was probably better for him. Let me put it to you this way: Hitler could have a spiritual experience, but would his nature really change?

I realize that sounds like a strange question. And normally, people will assume that the person having these beautiful spiritual experiences is a good person, but you know what? It's not necessarily so. And I know this from so many years of knowing Eckhart. But I also know this about other spiritual teachers and their dark sides and I am sure many of you out there know a bit about this, too. For example, Krishnamurti could be very curt with people, especially young people. But also, there's a book that was written by the daughter of a woman who was Krishnamurti's secret mistress for many years and whom he treated abusively, punitively. And there are people who will refuse to believe this and I am sure there are those who will not want to see the truth about my old friend, Eckhart.

But if I could continue--about this aspect of him being unhealed. In all my years being alive I have come to see that there is a huge discrepancy between this "spirituality" so many seem to be seeking and unhealed inner emotional issues. It's strange. But the two shall never meet or mix. This seems to be very true about people no matter their spiritual path. And it's true about Tolle. He had a very complex relationship with his mother. His father was a much better parent to him. But his mother was another story. There were times when he spilled his emotions out to me, and it saddens me because he's really a very lonely person. An extremely, and I want to say, dangerously isolated individual, who has become worse, far worse since his fame.

Eckhart tells the public that this woman Kim Eng is his "partner". She's not. She is a more like a pupil/disciple. There is no relationship there except this "arrangement". She has been with him for many years, as an assistant and contact person for his trips and talks and in exchange, he has shown her the ropes and now she goes out and does these talks and seminars. It's odd, but Eckhart doesn't like women, men, anyone, really. Not enough to shack up with! He is afraid, though, of woman coming after him. And I really know about this. I am not just making it up. He has made some kind of arrangement with Eng, an agreement of sorts so he could feel comfortable on a pubic level.

He did seem to have an interest in me back in the early days...but nothing ever came of it. But it was very sweet and nice. Until fame got the better of him and he showed me that he was not going to do anything for anyone unless it benefits himself. This is all I can say.

I think, though, the unhealed issues in him are at the root of what motivates him in what has become a monstrously unfathomable ambition. ("Napoleon Complex", anyone?) Frankly, he's a homely fellow. He looks like "Despereaux the Mouse". He's a little guy, in a little body, with stooped shoulders that no woman would bat an eyelash at back in the old days. Yes, he was nice friend, but I had no interest in him otherwise and I think he had a lifetime of that. He was forty-five when I met him.

The heart is a lonely hunter, "spiritual teachers" notwithstanding. Ya know?

Anyone remember the "man behind the green curtain"?

As in: "I am Oz. And I am the all -powerful, Oz! No one dare go against the all-powerful Oz! Now don't pay attention to that little man behind the green curtain!""

Of course, we all know what happened next.

Link to post:
[forum.culteducation.com]

March 3, 2009 Wanderer77
I have read over these posts. And I hope what I said was of some help. The problem, it seems, is that rarely do people come forward and say: "Hey the Emperor
has no clothes", and without people knowing who this person truly is, they are inclined to idolize the Teacher. Tolle is very human. And I am aghast at how he changed--fame
really took him over and the irony that his big message is about down-playing the EGO is a bit wry and most dry...

All I can say is--he started out with very good stuff--but the fame thing just turned him into a monster--talk about giving us a very good lesson about the EGO getting us into trouble!!--but I distinguish this as the ABUSES of Ego-- not the Ego itself. I can't help but laugh when I see this BIG EGO (Eckhart Tolle) telling all you other EGOS that the Ego is bad.

Who speaks?

Why, an "Ego" who calls himself Eckhart Tolle.

Any true esoteric path teaches us to be mindful of Ego and its potential abuses. Eckhart is just $$exploiting that. Putting it on a $$mass-scale.
And placing his picture and name on everything and anything he puts out. And he does so with a scary ambition-like I said--over-stepping
anyone who may get into his way. I mean, we are talking a self-aggrandizing Bully of the First Order!
And unfortunately, I have had first-hand experience of this kind of treatment.

If he really were sincere, he'd ditch his own Ego and sign everything Anonymous--and hopefully donate all proceeds to worthy causes.

I say: stick to the true teachers: obscure monks, people like Sri Ramakrishna, Sri Aurobindo (a genius of the highest order), Mathew Fox (who cranks out many books, but is so under the fame radar, swamis and monks or rabbis, priests who speak in their places of worship every Sunday or so--and by gosh, trust your own common sense)

Also--Andrew Harvey wrote a book about his own experiences with gurus gone bad!! Very smart book--called The Direct Path--

Peace.

Link to post: [forum.culteducation.com]

Link to entire thread:[forum.culteducation.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Eckhart Tolle -- Comments From Someone who Knows Him
Posted by: helpme2times ()
Date: June 20, 2009 05:14AM

This is very, very good. Wow.

Thank you for digging this up and spotlighting it, Christa.

Posted by: The Anticult ()
Date: June 20, 2009 05:54AM

yes, that is a very important post. [forum.culteducation.com]

Eckhart Tolle clearly has become an Egomaniac wannabe intellectual. And its very typical that some people fight against the very thing that they refuse to see in themselves.

And his personality, appears to be really along the lines of the
Schizoid Personality Disorder [www.mentalhealth.com]

Date: March 16, 2010 06:56AM

Bump because these comments are too important to be buried.

Posted by: corboy ()
Date: March 16, 2010 11:32AM

And dont forget this--in the old days, they'd price the seating at Tolle events according to proximity to him.

If a teaching has nothing to do with mere human personality why should proximity to the teacher matter.

One person reported this

[www.globalserve.net]

If something is well planned, there should not be anxiety about seat scarcity.

I wrote Tolle off as soon as I read how the pricing was done by seat proximity.

This was years back when he still had a teaching schedule.

If he goes on tour again, make sure to study whether he still has a rank ordered ticket price according to proximity to his podium and what he charges for private interviews.

ET started out as a man, but has turned himself into a product of mass marketing as some new version of the Mars Bar.

Getting into the mass marketing/media enlightenment industry means you lose your own humanity in the eyes of your target audience.

You become a screen onto which they project their energies and yearnings---and bang, you end up needing to hide behind an entourage and cant ever live an ordinary, human life, ever again.

Martin Luther warned, a man who loses touch with his interior becomes his exterior.

Posted by: truebut ()
Date: March 20, 2010 01:55AM

Thank you for your posts. I've studied at many institutions and excelled at literary criticism. I am a published writer, artist and composer. I KNOW I could write a killer inspirational book in various areas and charm a certain seeking audience to death with inspirational talks. I could make people feel wonderful and open up new horizons for certain focus groups. When I was a kid I was precocious and would have rich and successful friends of my family around my little finger. This is not unusual. You do not need lessons. It's a gift. People are half-asleep, and you just see it like a good batter sees a fast ball before he hits a homerun while others only hear the catcher's glove go WACK! I am convinced that America is a breeding ground for "evangelists" of every sort, from the political spectrum to the religious, to the money gurus. A television endorsement is like a magician getting a reference from another magician. 99% of TV is simply bad for you.

People need essential guidance about ultimate reality, but that guidance is ancient. It resides in Taoism, Hinduism and in the wisdom of the Bible and Quran (Rumi is one most profound mystic!). No one is coming up with anything new that matters. If it holds you will, no doubt, find it in the above sources and others. In effect, these people replace the sources while becoming millionaires. That is why they can be dangerous. You follow them to the ends-of-the-earth and then they end up being as human as you are, and you may be out-of-pocket or at the end of your rope while they have their mansions. A true mystic, like a true spiritual healer, does not capitalize on their gifts, period!

There is this false idea that "we should be spiritual and rich too". No, we CAN be spiritual and rich. Being "poor" is actually a better life if you are smart. I call it, simply, austerity as a choice. It is the status quo that attributes poverty to others, and much of the time it is poverty, which is based in the mind as much as circumstances in the West. But many great ones like Kalil Gibran lived very modestly. There are so many superior minds and souls to these media-savvy gurus throughout recent history. If you want a most recent reference try Ramana Maharshi. But he's not very sexy. However, I will bet that if his teachings were followed you would have just as much a chance for wealth and whatever fulfillment as anyone else. Why? Because it is all about knowing who YOU are and not who THEY are that means anything.

You can just sit on the edge of the bed at 3 AM and pose one question,"Who am I?", and all the methods and tricks in the library of hype out there will not answer that. When that is answered or neared, then you have power. You know yourself, whether you are a tycoon or take care of the kids. And no one is stronger than s/he who is aware of their true self. Want to find God? Maybe its not your quest, but if you do, the Holy Books say "know thyself". Why do we ignore that? Yes, we can use the psychologies to work our way out of a materialistic and confusing mess. But I would never put my cards on any other human being than my being.

Debt-ridden, rich, ill, healthy, peevish, passive, gracious, selfish: whatever our outer lives show - and it is all a show - we can always find the ultimate truth wherever we are, and that includes in hospital with brain damage: I know what I am talking about. Indeed, I have learned from and still enjoy various figure-it-out authors. But the direction leads back to the same point if I want to be truly powerful in this world. And that power is always radiating light and love. It can ONLY be good for us and everyone else. Many authors steer us away and we garner fantasies and false hopes, as well as various explanations to satisfy our minds instead of just being who we are deep inside. We wait for their next publications to figure it all out "in these times". Can you imagine the mountain of outdated self-help books out there?!

Meditation is key. A noisy clouded mind is in the way. The mind is a tool, a powerful reality we have to be aware of. For those who pray, the Gospel - for one! - says pray as if the prayer has been answered. That is something to ponder! The whole thing is right here, right now and completely free. Sorry to go on. But let's write our own book!

Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: March 20, 2010 07:10AM

truebut:

Stay on topic.

The topic of this thread is "Eckhart Tolle,"

Posted by: Shii ()
Date: March 21, 2010 10:21AM

Is the worst thing you can say about Eckhart Tolle really an anonymous comment from someone who claims to know him and says the fame has gone to his head?

Anyway, this comment shows that the poster isn't familiar with Tolle's philosophy:
Anonymous troll
Let me put it to you this way: Hitler could have a spiritual experience, but would his nature really change?
The Buddhist answer, of course, is that someone's nature can change. There is no unchanging nature, or soul, that cannot be affected by experience.

Posted by: Confused7609 ()
Date: March 21, 2010 10:50PM

corboy
And dont forget this--in the old days, they'd price the seating at Tolle events according to proximity to him.
when he still had a teaching schedule.

Getting into the mass marketing/media enlightenment industry means you lose your own humanity in the eyes of your target audience.

Martin Luther warned, a man who loses touch with his interior becomes his exterior.

All kinds of events price according to seating. Sporting events, concerts, shows etc. ET wrote some books. He never said he was the leader of any movement. You pay to go to the event and seats up front are better seats. I think his book the Power of Now is a very good book. The popularity and fame may have gone to his head a bit, but that is how fame is. I don't see anything related to Tolle, that resembles thought reform or mind control that is related to cult abuse. His teachings seem to be a pretty forward synopsis of known philophies such as Buddaism. Obviously he didn't lose his own humanity in the eyes of his target audience, as evidenced by the size of his audiences and his book sales.

A man who loses tough with his interior becomes his exterior is a good quote. I just don't see how it applies in the middle of a discussion about ET.

Date: March 22, 2010 07:31AM

Shii
Is the worst thing you can say about Eckhart Tolle really an anonymous comment from someone who claims to know him and says the fame has gone to his head?

Anyway, this comment shows that the poster isn't familiar with Tolle's philosophy:
Wanderer77
Let me put it to you this way: Hitler could have a spiritual experience, but would his nature really change?

That is not the worst thing someone can say about Eckhart Tolle. Try these threads:

Pages: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.