Current Page: 4 of 5
Re: Conspirituality
Posted by: facet ()
Date: December 15, 2020 05:30AM

The are so many sad stories in the Reddit group, all of which spring from incidence of manipulation.

These accounts can never be ignored or sidelined.

FYI anyone interested, Edward Bernays, apparent overlord of PR was nephew to Freud.. who assisted Bernays in much of his work.

This is probably the most stark (slap you thrice in the face obvious) historical misuse of human psychology that I have ever come across.

Observed by myself in many, if not all of those who are brought up in topic here on cult forums.

For some, conspiracy theory standpoint is a way to define a boundary. To be different in some way. For others, it is a money spinner, a favour of fortune, and a manipulative herding technique, then for the rest, conspiracy theory is a reasonable explanation or answer to the general ‘un-ease’ that they naturally feel because something IS going on.. it’s just that it is the manipulative situation, the PR in the conspiracy itself - not the story that the practice is masked with.

It is literally the narcissist in non physical form, which makes it all the more so insidious.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2020 05:38AM by facet.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Understanding Qanon & Other ARGs: their impact on society and the psyche
Date: December 17, 2020 04:04AM

QAnon is not an ARG. It’s a dangerous conspiracy theory, and there are lots of ways of understanding conspiracy theories without ARGs. But QAnon pushes the same buttons that ARGs do, whether by intention or by coincidence. In both cases, “do your research” leads curious onlookers to a cornucopia of brain-tingling information.

Taken from an article written by Adrian Hon, who shares his insight via Twitter.. including this:

I don’t want to gatekeep, but honestly, a lot of people making this comparison clearly know very little about ARGs other than from Wikipedia. I’ve designed and played ARGs for years and I don’t see players confusing the game with reality.

- via @adrianhon on Twitter, this is a response after journalist Seth Abramson posted up a thread about the subject of the Q project originating as an ARG, a position that most ARG designers have popped up to deny.. at least from their own experiences anyway:

QAnon is an ARG (Alternate Reality Game). It was set up that way and is managed that way. QAnoners are playing an ARG and refuse to stop for the very reason transreality gaming can be hazardous: you can forget what's game and what's reality. QAnoners are lost in a dangerous game.

- via @sethabramson on Twitter.

In fairness, the original poster of this thread has not provided clear information or images of any ARG related set up which would have been online, and I am yet to see any official shop front myself.

They can be obscure and disappear, especially if it was in use amongst famous or wealthy only for entertainment or pr amongst themselves, though there is often someone somewhere with something.

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 12/17/2020 04:24AM by facet.

Posted by: corboy ()
Date: December 23, 2020 09:38PM

"And they(QAnon) are also very invasive, even deceptive, about who and what they’re all about. They don’t want to divulge some of the more bizarre aspects of their conspiracy theories, but would rather say, “Oh we’re just here to save children,” when in reality that’s not all that they’re about."

Rick Ross interviewed by Medium - quoted from article below.

As Trump meets with QAnon influencers, the conspiracy's adherents beg for dictatorship

With Trump's days in office dwindling, QAnon influencers have become increasingly restless and militant, urging the president to "#crosstherubicon.”

Dec. 22, 2020, 2:15 PM PST
By Ben Collins

NBC News

[www.nbcnews.com]

Cult Deprogrammer Rick Alan Ross on NXIVM, QAnon, and What Makes Us Vulnerable

“We predispose ourselves into being vulnerable because we dismiss cults as crazy”

Alex Kantrowitz Medium - Big Technology

[onezero.medium.com]

Rick Ross comments on QAnon

I want to spend the last few minutes talking about QAnon, a group that believes there are folks coming after Trump and that he’s going to save people from a cabal of pedophiles, something along those lines. I’m curious how you began to be interested in QAnon and whether they fit the definition of a cult.

I gained interest when it became apparent that they were highly organized and that they were involved in activities in which they were targeting people, issues, politicians, et cetera. I think that QAnon fits the criteria for a destructive cult with one exception. We don’t know who Q is. Who is the person that perpetuates these conspiracy theories and drops them online? According to the organization or according to the followers, Q is some high-level, top-secret clearance individual in government with access to secrets that none of us could ever access without Q.

But that isn’t necessarily the truth. It’s very likely just a myth, and Q could be a person or a collective or just a scam. What’s interesting is that like many cults, Q uses a front organizational name in order to attract attention and recruits. They pose behind the moniker “Save the Children.” Now, there’s a real organization called Save the Children that is very reputable and it’s been around for a very long time. But QAnon would like to take that mantle and say, “Oh, we’re trying to save children from this pedophile conspiracy that includes all kinds of political leaders, et cetera.” And at times, this can be very volatile, when you look at the QAnon demonstrations and you see how people don’t question anything that is coming from QAnon by and large.

And they are also very invasive, even deceptive, about who and what they’re all about. They don’t want to divulge some of the more bizarre aspects of their conspiracy theories, but would rather say, “Oh we’re just here to save children,” when in reality that’s not all that they’re about.

Do you find it concerning that some of the behavior you’ve seen in cults has started to make its way into our mainstream politics?

Yeah, it’s very scary. It’s scary to think that someone in a position of power is making decisions based on their acceptance of conspiracy theories that have been repeatedly debunked and disproven. And what kind of national secrets or what position in national security will a person have who’s elected to congress and how will it affect their thinking and their performance on the job if they’ve bought in bizarre conspiracy theories perpetuated by QAnon.

It’s a real conundrum and a real problem and I don’t think it’s going to get better. I think before it does get better, it’ll get worse.

We started by talking about how the internet can be a fertile recruiting ground for cults, and what do you know? This is something that lives almost entirely online and now it’s seeping into the physical world.

What I said about cocooning yourself in a bubble online, in an echo chamber, is exactly what so many QAnon supporters do.

They feed off of each other, they reinforce each other, they follow each other on Twitter, on Facebook, on Instagram, and they watch each other on YouTube. Now, some of the social media platforms are beginning to regulate this and purge some of it from their platforms, but by and large, these people can create their own alternate reality online, which is very scary.

I’ve dealt with them trolling my sites, trolling my social media, and when I interact with them, they’re so detached from reality, it’s almost impossible to communicate. Very much like a person that’s delusional and under the undue influence of a cult.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/23/2020 09:44PM by corboy.

Posted by: hazelnut ()
Date: January 31, 2021 02:14AM

I thought it might be interesting and helpful to share this podcast I listened to a few months ago, It deep dives into the potential origins of QAnon, and certainly makes for compelling listening. Not to mention, I'm a big fan of this podcast overall!

Reply All
Episode 166 Country of Liars
"This week, PJ looks into a theory circling the internet about who might be behind QAnon. The investigation takes him back to the beginning of the QAnon scam, and to the message board trolls who started it."

[gimletmedia.com]

There is also a transcript available if you'd prefer to read over listening.

Date: February 05, 2021 08:15PM

The issue with the interviews and other things said, even by the original poster of this thread, is that what is said may be entirely untrue.

On looking at it I would not be surprised if it was part of an ARG utilised for purpose as I’ve said before.. that is what they were for, with the wealthy interested in them (is even speculate that Jeffery Epstein’s island design is based on one) but who knows? And now that they’re gone.. who really cares? It’s time to keep a gentle eye out for people who may need a reality boost to get through.

The weird aftermath was evident in the supporters of the capitol building raid, you’ve got people seriously departed from reality and believing that they are “angels” and completing their “missions in life” but mostly their brains were out for social media pictures and hits.. fame of sorts. Look at the Nashville Bomber just before.

Sad really.

The spiritually minded (and spiritually trended) were targeted on social media, those targeting were successful in convincing them (spiritually minded) to believe that the targeters hidden, political agenda was a instead a highly spiritual one.

Most spiritually minded people (but not all) will have had little or nothing to do with politics previously.

Trump projecting his world today in declaring that the request for him to stand trial is a “publicity stunt”.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2021 08:39PM by facet.

Date: February 09, 2021 12:46AM

Considering what billybob has posted with regards to ARG beginnings, here is the original shop front:

[en.wikipedia.org]

Magical thinkers are (in my view) an extremely vulnerable section of society. Already primed by spiritual teachers and leaders, and potentially beforehand by the familial upbringing, magical thinkers make ripe pickings for radicalisation.

Also vulnerable, those who feel that they are involved in something culturally cool.

Culture will chew you up and spit you into the gutters like a spent tobacco in the end.

Date: February 11, 2021 09:08PM

I want to clear up the end of my post here because I think it comes across incorrectly. Culture is meant in the sense of cultural marketing - culture is not the problem. It’s the people who come in and exploit it. I cannot string a sentence together some days. My apologies for any offence caused. It was not meant.

Here is a link which demonstrates marketing towards cultures, which may be helpful.

[www.gosquared.com]

Plus a long read, the next link an incredibly honest, insightful look into the thread topic here.

[danhon.substack.com]

But some people wouldn’t remember we were playing a game. They’d use tools to look up information about a website’s owner and then call that person up or, in some cases, go to their house, a sort of 2001-era doxing. When this happened in 2001, my fellow moderators and I would put a stop to that behavior whenever it happened. “This isn’t part of the game,” we’d say. Other players would look for security vulnerabilities in the game’s web servers and hack their way in. We’d say the same thing: “We’re playing a game. We’re supposed to be able to solve this. You’re peeking behind the curtain. We don’t need to cheat.” But the nature of these games reinforced that behavior. In ARGs, some addresses to physical locations, hidden in images, emails and behind codes to break, were real and in-play. At the end of the day, if you really want to, you can turn anything in to a location if you want to massage numbers enough into the requisite GPS coordinates. Traveling to the right locations would yield sweet progression of the story, narratives and yet more puzzles to solve in exciting ways: USB sticks, maps, audio recordings, more clues. More cards to put up on the wall. More connections to make. Even if you lived hundreds or thousands of miles away, the power of the group was that there would inevitably be someone who lived close enough and was motivated enough to drive, bus or travel by any means necessary to track down that clue. There was drama in watching the chase. Every single person playing was in the part of the guy in the chair, the trope skewered in 2017’s Spiderman Homecoming, providing technical support to the superheroes. And next time, you could be the superhero, too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2021 09:09PM by facet.

Date: February 11, 2021 09:25PM

.. there is so much value to quote from the long read link but I’ll limit myself to this last one :D

A game design approach to stopping people from “playing” QAnon might be to start making it boring. But again, I worry about the environmental factors. QAnon has to be less boring that the rest of your life. What if the rest of your life isn’t really that great? What if TV and videogames are always going to be interesting than even a more-boring QAnon? Put more clearly: you’re in a dead-end job (if you even have one, in our pandemic times). The job prospects in your area aren’t even that great to begin with. You’re socially isolated. Until recently, most things were closed anyway. Government, at all levels, isn’t doing much to help you, and even if it has promised to help you, none of that help has actually arrived. Bills keep coming, because nobody’s helping you out with rent. But you could be a winner at this game. You could discover that new piece of evidence, that connection no-one else has seen before. You could throw it out onto a forum or Twitter or Facebook and get the rush of social approval. You get to lose yourself in it because it keeps going, and going, and going. And as you’re doing this and reading and researching, every piece you learn works together to explain the world to you, and explain why the world’s been so shitty to you. There’s actual TV that agrees with it! Everything else? That’s lies. It is as if the story, the hook, the teaser and trailer were evolutionarily selected for disadvantaged and dispossessed people in fear.

Date: February 15, 2021 11:26PM

Does Yoga Have A Conspiracy Theory Problem?

[www.bbc.com]

Date: February 28, 2021 01:01AM

How one person stopped believing in Qaanon.

Two main factors:

* Circumstances (nervous breakdown) caused the person to abstain from the internet.

* Person decided if QAnon is true, things will happen in their own good time. I do not need to pay attention non stop to each new revelation.

This detox led the person to calm down -- and get free.

The Reddit discussion is here:

[www.reddit.com]

Current Page: 4 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.