Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
God is not everywhere
Posted by: richardmgreen ()
Date: June 07, 2003 01:41AM

Originally posted by Christelle
Small mistake...

the second one is God as "Parama-atman", or the Super soul residing with the atman of every being.
(like the inner guide in the heart, the external manifestations of which are the saints who are in touch with the Lord in the heart- like the "son" in the trinity)
I remember reading about the conceopt of the "supersoul" on a Hare Krishna site. Is that where you got the info from? My information was from encyclopedias and books at the library on LI when I was at LIU.

Options: ReplyQuote
God is not everywhere
Posted by: Thomas ()
Date: June 10, 2003 03:45AM

Originally posted by richardmgreen

I remember reading about the conceopt of the "supersoul" on a Hare Krishna site. Is that where you got the info from? My information was from encyclopedias and books at the library on LI when I was at LIU.

Hare Krishna is still dead. Jesus Rise from the dead as He said.

God is not everywhere
Date: June 11, 2003 12:15AM

Originally posted by Thomas

Hare Krishna is still dead. Jesus Rise from the dead as He said.
Krishna's got loads of adherents too. And I'm pretty sure neither he nor JC are coming back from the dead.

God is not everywhere
Posted by: greenberean ()
Date: June 11, 2003 08:58PM

CURIOUS: Does RMG believe that the Muslims, Hindus, and Buddhists are cultists too?

Perhaps I can go out into the street today after work and wear a shirt that says, "Richard Green is Lord of Drunkenness and Carousing." Would I be accurately representing you? I have the free will to do so; you could not stop me. Perhaps if one was interested in knowing about you, he could go to the source, yourself. One could be irresponsible, and take the word of some nameless activist on the street, or one could be objective. Not everybody talkin' 'bout Heaven's goin' there, and I'm sure you'd agree to that. Read Matthew 7: 21-23 and see what's in store for these false representatives of our Holy God.

God is not everywhere
Date: June 11, 2003 10:53PM

Originally posted by greenberean
CURIOUS: Does RMG believe that the Muslims, Hindus, and Buddhists are cultists too?

Perhaps I can go out into the street today after work and wear a shirt that says, "Richard Green is Lord of Drunkenness and Carousing." Would I be accurately representing you? I have the free will to do so; you could not stop me. Perhaps if one was interested in knowing about you, he could go to the source, yourself. One could be irresponsible, and take the word of some nameless activist on the street, or one could be objective. Not everybody talkin' 'bout Heaven's goin' there, and I'm sure you'd agree to that. Read Matthew 7: 21-23 and see what's in store for these false representatives of our Holy God.
Actually, I don't drink and I don't fool around. Also, you'd be subject to a lawsuit for slander.
Don't use the phrase "our Holy God". I'm sure what I believe in is much different than what you believe in. As far as reading the New Testament, no thanks. I overdosed on it years ago.

God is not everywhere
Posted by: greenberean ()
Date: June 11, 2003 11:30PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Not as if there's any compulsion, but you didn't address my first question. Are all adherents to organized religion cultists, or not?

When you replied,
"Actually, I don't drink and I don't fool around. Also, you'd be subject to a lawsuit for slander."
I think you made my point for me. In any just system, there are consequences for unrighteous behavior, such as this slanderous t-shirt. Those verses affirm just that. Are you intersested in meaningful dialogue about these issues, or are you just putting up smoke screens? I can respect either one. I may be guilty of assuming that a conclusion to a given controversy has not been reached before the exchange of ideas has occurred. I will disclose the reason for my joining this forum: To test my philosophies and world views against others, and to see where they fall short. These types of discussions are good at exposing one's ignorance about one's own belief systems. I would prefer to not have a world view full of logical holes. How about you?

God is not everywhere
Date: June 12, 2003 06:35AM

Originally posted by greenberean

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Not as if there's any compulsion, but you didn't address my first question. Are all adherents to organized religion cultists, or not?

When you replied,
"Actually, I don't drink and I don't fool around. Also, you'd be subject to a lawsuit for slander."
I think you made my point for me. In any just system, there are consequences for unrighteous behavior, such as this slanderous t-shirt. Those verses affirm just that. Are you intersested in meaningful dialogue about these issues, or are you just putting up smoke screens? I can respect either one. I may be guilty of assuming that a conclusion to a given controversy has not been reached before the exchange of ideas has occurred. I will disclose the reason for my joining this forum: To test my philosophies and world views against others, and to see where they fall short. These types of discussions are good at exposing one's ignorance about one's own belief systems. I would prefer to not have a world view full of logical holes. How about you?
I donb't think my views are full of logicca holes. Most world religious systems have essentially the same morall code. They often have similar beliefs and modes of conduct like the Code of Hammurbi.
But I believe that what's right for one person isn't right for everyone. And sometimes what's not right for one person is right for another.

God is not everywhere
Posted by: Christelle ()
Date: June 12, 2003 01:51PM

Hmmm...

There seems to be a couple "interesting" threads running at the same time here.
Personally, I'm interested in having a diologue about different faiths in respect to God's presence in existance. Not about whether Krsna is dead or Jesus is dead!!
Something meaningful that can be shared is much more valuable.
There can be shortages in many things: water, food, intelligence; but never in opinions it seems!
Well researched thoughts welcome... :)

About references?

Well, I never checked any Hare Krsna websites for this information, although I'm sure they would have it.
There are many sources for information on the paramatma.
There are numerous Upanisads: the Katha Upanisad, Svetasvatara Upanisad, Gopala Tapani, and Chandogya Upanisad.

The bible of Hindu thought, the Bhagavad Gita, is full of information. From 13.13 onwards...

ie...

"I shall now explain the knowable, knowing which you will taste the eternal. Brahman, the spirit, beginningless and subordinate to Me, lies beyond the cause and effect of this material world."

"Everywhere are His hands and legs, His eyes, heads, and faces, and He has ears everywhere. In this way the Supersoul exists, pervading everything."

"The Supersoul is the original source of all senses, yet He is without senses. He is unattached, although He is the maintainer of all living beings. He transcends the modes of nature, and at the same time He is the master of all the modes of material nature."

"The Supreme Truth exists outside and inside all living beings, the moving and nonmoving. Because He is subtle, He is beyond the power of the material senses to see or know. Although far, far away, He is also near to all."

"Although the Super Soul appears to be divided among all beings, He is never divided. He is situated as one. Although He is the maintainer of every living entity, it is understood that He devours and developes all"

And so on...
(more captivating contradictions to pull one deaper into the mysteries of spirit.)

As far as "brahman", from what I've read there are several ways the word is used.
In the sense of "aham brahmasmi" or "I am spirit"
God as brahman : "para brahman"
Effulgence of God: "brahmajyoti"
As a location from which one never returns...
As the energies of God...
such the total substance of material energy, mahad brahma.
etc..

About information at universities...

As long as it's not based on some of the early Indologists like Max Muller...
Muller made it clear in his writings that 'the only reason to study Indian thought is to prove its inferiority to European thought'
As political strategies, information based on some of these early indologists may be biased.

Other than that hesitation, I'd be interested to hear more about your report on atman.

Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.