Sheela Birnstiel aka Ma Anand Sheela
Posted by: facet ()
Date: October 12, 2020 02:09AM

Link

“To call it a cult is degrading”

- I wouldn’t say degrading, I’d say putting it in its realistic place despite delusions.

Sheela Birnstiel aka Ma Anand Sheela is experiencing the popularity treatment after her appearance in Wild Wild Country (netflix documentary series).

She was responsible, among other things, for the poisoning of other humans in her own local to the cult bioterrorism attack, and was clearly having sexytime with ‘Osho’ in a purpose built underground hidden hot tub, until they had a lovers quarrel and very publicly fell out.

Across other press releases, Sheela states “I have come out as a winner”.. and with interviews on YouTube such as this linked one,it is not difficult to see why she can confidently state this.

Despite the devastation that Sheela is responsible for, she is lauded for the very behaviour that hurt so many people, her charismatic way of dealing with interviewers is seen as funny.. ‘savage’ meant in a good way among younger generations.

Sheela still gets a look in, and a feature film is in the making, Priyanka Chopra staring as Sheela... this must be a wonderful credit to such a blisteringly cruel human being.

Check the relevant section on the YouTube clip for disgruntled comments.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2020 02:14AM by facet.

Re: Sheela Birnstiel aka Ma Anand Sheela
Posted by: corboy ()
Date: October 12, 2020 07:05AM

Rajneesh/Osho was an expert hypnotist and quite the charmer.

Sheela may have benefited from his tutelage.

Date: October 13, 2020 12:21AM

Yes that would be a benefit wouldn’t it, I had not initially realised Rajneesh / Osho was a master hypnotiser too.

For me Sheela and Osho are a great of example of when two manipulative persona collide. It does not endure due to the power struggle.

Sheela herself, controlling and a very dismissive woman, she really doesn’t care, and herself? She is the ‘winner’ of a game where every body else is seen as the losers by her, even Osho.

Sheela Ambalal Patel - this is the original name, the latter in the title being of her late husband, wealthy Swiss man Swam Dhyan Dipo (Urs Birnstiel).

He also received charges with Sheela, but they were dropped due to his death.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/13/2020 12:25AM by facet.

Posted by: liminal ()
Date: October 18, 2020 07:39AM

I knew several sannyasins and was briefly one myself.

Sheela harmed so many people.

Ideally her audience would stop participating in this charismatic dance with her. She isn't funny or charming. She is an aging sociopath still trying to play games.

Two areas I hope can get more in-depth study concerning Rajneesh is how the children were treated at Rajneeshpuram, also if there is a higher rate of suicide among followers than the general population.

Posted by: corboy ()
Date: October 18, 2020 09:08AM

Those are worthy research questions.

Tim Guest’s mother spoke of how she had believed that the community would be a better parent than she could be. But according to Tim, he felt he spent his ‘whole life on tiptoes, looking for my mother in a darkening crowd’.

This quotation is from an article 'The Lost Children"

[aeon.co]

The article mentions this:

Occasionally, I trawl a website set up for those who lived at Medina. It is not up to date. My father’s entry fails to say that he died 10 years ago of alcoholism. But there are blurred photos of the kids who lived there, and many of them I remember. I study these pictures and the rushed, misspelt notes beside their faces. On the first page, I am shocked to read: She died in 1997, after a long battle with drugs. I scroll down: He died of AIDS in London in 1994. I scroll down: Unknown. Unknown. Unknown.

There was a Facebook page dedicated to a young woman who had attempted to reverse her sterilisation, done at Pune, aged just 19. Years later, she’d fallen in love and wanted to have a baby. She was 33, the same age I was when I saw the posting and had my first child. It is a much more straightforward procedure for a man to reverse a vasectomy than for a woman to reverse sterilisation. The young woman had died.

I have since had conversations with some of those who were raised at Medina, and there is a quiet mention of abuse that took place at the commune school, by one of the teachers; but there is also suspicion at my questions, a shake of the head at further enquiries, and a reminder of my position on the peripheries. This is not my story to tell. I have walked away with a sense that many of these children were not all right; the lucky few, perhaps, had parents in high standing in the community, which was often equated with money; this acted as their protection. I’m also aware that it isn’t easy to reject such a profound and intensely felt part of your life, particularly not when it’s all that you know.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/18/2020 09:14AM by corboy.

Date: October 19, 2020 03:04AM

Sheela is definitely responsible for helping create an unhealthy, abusive environment.

A quote from someone who was raised amid sannyasins, I was acquainted with her family and their friends:

Bepler said she found the Rajneesh scene "creepy."

"There were lots of open sexual experiences and lots of chaos," she said. "Boundaries were crossed."

[www.sfgate.com]

Date: October 19, 2020 05:43AM

liminal Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I knew several sannyasins and was briefly one
> myself.
>
> Sheela harmed so many people.
> She isn't funny
> or charming. She is an aging sociopath still
> trying to play games.

Since Sheela bought into two care homes, it does seem that Sheela is someone who views people as simply a stock to make a living / livelihood off.. in her instance since her ‘caring’ nature is completely absent, making the homes an odd existence in her ownership.

>
> Two areas I hope can get more in-depth study
> concerning Rajneesh is how the children were
> treated at Rajneeshpuram, also if there is a
> higher rate of suicide among followers than the
> general population.

In the article you’ve posted in looks like many guru hopped over to Amma..

I wonder if anything was ever set up to support children / young people in coming out once it all got shut down?

Date: October 19, 2020 07:07AM

I wonder if anything was ever set up to support children / young people in coming out once it all got shut down?

As far as I know, there was no support available to young survivors, other than what maybe they could find on their own.

Unfortunately the cult continues on. There is an OSHO International Meditation Resort in India (currently closed due to pandemic) and other centers.

Staying at Rajneeshpuram was expensive, many devotees worked either in drug trafficking or sex work trade to earn enough to go to Ranjneeshpuram or India.

My guess is that the suicide rate is high - both in survivors and in those who remained sannyasins.

I was acquainted with this man [www.oshonews.com] - he remained a sannyasin, and committed suicide in 2014. The cult refers to this as "left his body"

Date: October 21, 2020 01:16AM

I am sorry to hear about the man that you were acquainted with who has ended his life, it is very sad to hear about, I am sure that you are right that he is not the only one by far.

Has anyone set up a website or something similar that people may be able to find using google if they look for it? A social media account or two might also help others connect with the site and share information. Just a thought.

It is a shame that this still continues, even online it still also continues many young people in spiritual circles look to him and share his quotes despite the reality.

Some fight about it, they will point out an original poster and say hey do you know this guy is a *^*%#%, but it does not get far.

Date: October 23, 2020 01:14AM

I've not yet found any public support forum for former members, maybe there are private ones ongoing.

I hope everyone is getting the help they need.

The cult still exists.

Interesting note on Sheela:

I think if Sheela had not been so offensive, and we hadn’t invaded and taken over the town of Antelope, it could’ve been more successful at least in the context of having less outside pressure. But like I said, the land is not supposed to be used as a town.

[blog.usejournal.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.