Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Opus Dei cult - Recent news links
Posted by: mjr40 ()
Date: April 19, 2006 12:00AM

# Opus Dei asks "Da Vinci" film makers for respect - Opus Dei feels that is does not get the proper respect from those outside the cult. From Reuters.com. (April 17, 2006)
[today.reuters.com]

# Opus Dei tries to distance itself from its own magazine - Opus Dei cult tries to distance itself from a magazine it runs in Italy, in another attempt at creating confusion about the institutions it controls. From Beliefnet.com (April 17, 2006)
[www.beliefnet.com]

# Disenchanted by Blind Obedience - Former member describes the Opus Dei cult's totalitarianism, denial of reality and accounting irregularities. From Time.com. (April 16, 2006)
[www.time.com]

# An inside look at Opus Dei - For such a small group, Opus Dei is a huge source of intrigue. A glimpse at the most controversial group in Catholicism. From cnn.com. (April 16, 2006)
[www.cnn.com]

# "LUCY:" Broken by the Demands - What began as a part-time kitchen job became a 20-year ordeal of virtual slavery at the hands of the Opus Dei cult. From Time.com. (April 16, 2006)
[www.time.com]

# Opus Dei magazine pubishes anti-Islamic cartoons - An Italian magazine run by the influential Catholic conservative Opus Dei group has published a new caricature of the Prophet Muhammad, sparking outrage among Muslim associations. From Daily Times, Pakistan. (April 16, 2006)
[www.dailytimes.com.pk]

# Opus Dei Asks Sony, Shareholders for `Da Vinci' Film Disclaimer - The Opus Dei cult attempts yet again to intimidate Sony and inhibit the company's right to free expression via the arts. From Bloomberg.com (April 14, 2006)
[www.bloomberg.com]

# Catholic sect fights Da Vinci Code image - Critics question Opus Dei's recruiting practices and claim it fosters a cult-like atmosphere among its celibate members. From The Houston Chronicle. (April 10, 2006)
[www.chron.com]

# Catholicism on campus - Article that details Opus Dei's presence and influence at Princeton University. Shows how the cult prevents legitimate intellectual discussion and debate within the Catholic community there. From Catholic Online. (April 6, 2006)
[www.catholic.org]

# Special Report - Decoding Opus Dei - It's one of the most mysterious and controversial groups in the world, and it's sanctioned by the Vatican! To the critics, Opus Dei is a secretive cult, where members are brainwashed. From WHDH-TV, Boston. (March 20, 2006)
[www3.whdh.com]

# Soft-focused Opus - Reporter runs interference for controversial Catholic group. Excellent article. From The Irish Echo Online, USA. (March 15, 2006)
[www.irishecho.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Gulab Jamon ()
Date: April 20, 2006 12:19AM

I just saw something on the news last night about Opus Dei actually attracting new members due to the [i:272a38dc76]DaVinci Code[/i:272a38dc76]. They interviewed an Opus Die spokesperson or official who said he had several new members come to him and say they'd heard about the organization from reading the [i:272a38dc76]DaVinci Code[/i:272a38dc76]. One man in particular apparently told this guy that he read the book and didn't believe any of it, so he decided that Opus Dei must be a good thing, since it was portrayed in a negative light in the book)

Posted by: wquercus ()
Date: April 20, 2006 12:39PM

People read Brown, and so many of these "exposes," and they see that it is so far afield from the Opus Dei that they come to know through evenings of reflection, retreats, and friendships. It isn't a "cult," it is a way of being Catholic which is recognized by the Catholic Church as completely mainstream.

[b:4071dc455a]Moderator note:

"wquercus" appears to be what is often called an "Internet Troll." His only purpose posting here was apparently to subvert the message board.

He posted information elsewhere on the board about the Mankind Project, which he admitted attending. Subsequently, more than a year later "wquercus" returned to delete all his posts regarding the Mankind Project. However, portions of his statements remain as quoted/noted by other members posting here.

Apparently, "wquercus" came to realize that his statements provided proof concerning what goes on inside the Mankind Project and he therefore decided that he didn't want that information to remain here publicly visible.

Subsequently "wquercus" was banned from the board.[/b:4071dc455a]

Posted by: Gulab Jamon ()
Date: April 20, 2006 11:16PM

wquercus
People read Brown, and so many of these "exposes," and they see that it is so far afield from the Opus Dei that they come to know through evenings of reflection, retreats, and friendships. It isn't a "cult," it is a way of being Catholic which is recognized by the Catholic Church as completely mainstream.

I would think anyone with half a brain would know that Brown's book is an interesting fictional story that uses real-life places, organizations and events as a springboard for the plot.

Similarly, I would think that anyone with half a brain would realize that the evil character from Opus Dei in the book is not a real person and that Opus Dei itself probably does not tell its members to murder people.

However, you can't deny that Opus Dei indeed has some cult-like aspects. I have a friend who was briefly involved in Opus Dei in Colombia and described it as very repressive.

Date: April 21, 2006 12:30AM

Gulab Jamon
I just saw something on the news last night about Opus Dei actually attracting new members due to the [i:d02f247609]DaVinci Code[/i:d02f247609].

Yes, I have heard some scattered reports to that effect as well. However, in dealing with the Opus Dei cult, I generally try to take what they say turn it around 180 degrees to get some semblance of the truth. It is my feeling that they may be getting some people inquiring, but the Opus Dei cult likes to gather extensive information dossiers on people before getting them to join. To do this takes time. So, it would appear that the spokesperson is lying to the press, which is normal for Opus Dei.

Date: April 21, 2006 12:50AM

wquercus
It isn't a "cult," it is a way of being Catholic which is recognized by the Catholic Church as completely mainstream.

The Opus Dei cult has some of the most sophisticated mind control mechanisms used today. Note that the cult has used money, manipulation, threats and coercion within the institutional Church in order to get itself named a personal prelature. Such a status essentially gives it a free hand to operate within any archdiocese or diocese throughout the world without any oversight from the local bishop. Thus they can do whatever they like, including breaking criminal laws in terms of harassment while conducting their operations.

It is viewed by most Catholics as being completely outside of mainstream Catholic belief and practices.

Date: April 21, 2006 12:53AM

Merely repeating statements does not prove them.

John Allen is a respected journalist who has researched and written about Opus Dei. Those who want to know the truth can read his book.

Date: April 21, 2006 01:01AM

Gulab Jamon
that Opus Dei itself probably does not tell its members to murder people.

The Opus Dei cult, however, does have proxies (like organized crime) that it uses to kill people. For example, Opus Dei has been tied to the murders of Roberto Calvi (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/4313960.stm) and of Pope John Paul I (no autopsy done). Also, numerous "suicides" around the world have been associated with Opus Dei houses and members. It is clear that a trail of death follows the Opus Dei cult.

Date: April 23, 2006 10:08AM

Wacky fantasy.

Date: May 05, 2006 01:36PM

wquercus
Wacky fantasy.

Murder, forced suicides and death is not fantasy.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.