Legionaries of Christ
Posted by: Sparky ()
Date: June 23, 2010 11:29AM

Does anyone have any new info/perspective on the Legionaries of Christ? I know they are a true cult within the Catholic Church, they are reportedly abusive to their fellow priests and practice within their ranks a forced separation between their devoted priests and freedom (i.e., the lower-rank priests are captive against their will.)

There are tales of woe of young priests escaping in the middle of the night with just the clothes on their backs and avoiding main roads during their escape until they can get to a place they feel is safe.

I have met ex-Legionaries and they complain about everything from false-imprisonment (being held in a seminary against their will) to sexual abuse by older priests.

I would like to hear from others who are aware of this odd sect and any information they may have gathered by ex-clerical members.

Does anyone thing the pope will eventually excommunicate the power-abusers within this powerful sect?

[www.regainnetwork.org]

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/2010 11:40AM by Sparky.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Legionaries of Christ
Posted by: psyborgue ()
Date: July 04, 2013 11:15PM

Two people in my family were involved with the lay portion of LOC, known as Regnum Christi. Was it a cult? No, but it did have some cult-like elements. There was an emphasis on becoming a servant of sorts to the group and bringing others (particularly with political influence) into the fold. I'll hash it out here:

1. Control over communication/Milieu? No more than your average strict catholic.
2. Mystical Manipulation? Not really. Unless you count the Church's miracles.
3. Demand for purity? Not really. The family members involved in this were particularly "pure" to begin with so i'm not sure they're a good indicator.
4. Confession? Yes. More than usual by far. There was a priest who acted as a "spiritual guide" however, and gave quite a bit of spiritual homework (materials from the leader). One family member would feel anxious if this work was not done. The other was mostly along for the ride and paid it less attention.
5. Sacred Science? There was a particular reverence felt for Maciel, the originator of the group. He was seen as a holy man. I wouldn't say he was "worshiped" (at least not by these family members), but he was seen as having some sort of special truth.
6. Loaded language? No.
7. Doctrine over person? No more than your average strict catholic. From what I could tell the doctrine was more or less identical to official church doctrine. Then again, I was never interested in it, despite the urging of the family members.
8. Dispensing of existence? Somewhat. But again. No more than the official church doctrine.

Keep in mind, though, that these family members were not in the group for very long, and on moving did not have the opportunity to re-associate with the gruop as it was not available in their new location. I will say that there was a particular emphasis on the person and teachings of the leader, Fr. Maciel, who was seen as a living saint of sorts.

I was once dragged (as a minor) to an ordination in Rome of one of the family members' friend (LoC Priest). I was asleep for half of it (never had much respect for religion, even less now), but the one thing i'll never forget was Maciel's entrance, in a limo, being chased by children. They were riding along side it, trying to get a peek through the window like he was some sort of celebrity. In hindsight it's not surprising he was able to so easily take advantage of children. I mean the JP II was there too and he almost didn't get the same amount of attention. I was shocked. They were behaving like this pedo was some sort of Justin Bieber.

Posted by: zeuszor ()
Date: July 05, 2013 01:57AM

May I suggest that you get in touch with this man, Paul Lennon (an easy name to remember, as he has the names of two of the Beatles).

[thirdjourney.blogspot.com]

Posted by: corboy ()
Date: March 27, 2018 10:10AM

I Lost My Brother to an Ultra-Conservative Religious Order

Director Zita Effra's debut documentary tells the story of how her brother joined the Legion of Christ.

Matern Boeselager

Mar 26 2018, 7:44am

[www.vice.com]

"They pride themselves on being slim and fit"

(Interviewer)How did he find out about the order?

It was through our aunt, originally.

The legion organized summer camps for teens, and one year, she asked us if we wanted to go. Our cousins were going, so my brother and I decided to just tag along. It wasn't weird—there was an hour of religious education each day, but aside from that, it was really fun. We went hiking a lot, did a lot of cool stuff, and had a lovely summer.

(Interviewer) So were they trying to recruit you guys at the summer camp?

Yes. They have a youth club called ECYD, which is a Spanish abbreviation for "Education, Culture, and Sport." Physical activity is what distinguishes the legionaries from other orders—they pride themselves on being slim and fit.

The people at the youth club were encouraging everyone to sign up. It already felt a bit cult-ish then, so, to me, it was very obvious that neither of us would actually do it. But I was wrong.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2018 10:17AM by corboy.

Posted by: corboy ()
Date: March 27, 2018 10:14AM

Legionnaires of Christ Cult Education Institute - archived articles

[www.culteducation.com]

Other discussions of Legionnaires of Christ group on this message board

Legionaires of Christ banned in 2nd Catholic Diocese
Posted by: mjr40
Date: January 01, 2005 08:36PM

[forum.culteducation.com]

Catholic Legion of Christ-recruiting push Mar 20-27 2006

[forum.culteducation.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.