Exposing a Cultic Group for the First Time?
Posted by: spectrum ()
Date: March 21, 2006 01:55AM

I am struggling with the idea of 'going public' with my recent abusive experience with an overseas mission group. Everyone else in the whole world thinks this group is just great. As far as I know, there has been no claim that this group is abusive before. They do have a big problem keeping missionaries. :roll:

As a result of the abusive experience, I have clinical depression and severe PTSD. I have been unable to work since December. I spent 2 weeks at Wellspring, where the PTSD was diagnosed. I discovered there that the group meets about 4 of Lifton's criteria directly, and the rest of the criteria indirectly. I have almost every symptom on Langone's list. :cry:

What I am wondering is: [i:4cd2d1a77d]Has anyone here been the first to expose a cultic group? If so, how did you get the courage to do it? Is there a way to expose the group without listing my name? What are the legal ramifications of telling the critical truth about events that happened while I was with the group?[/i:4cd2d1a77d] :?:

Thank you.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: zaflon ()
Date: March 21, 2006 05:43AM

spectrum
I am struggling with the idea of 'going public' with my recent abusive experience with an overseas mission group. Everyone else in the whole world thinks this group is just great..

I can understand you concerns here. I too have, albeit second hand, been abused by a group many think fine and upstanding; who even hold 'rituals' in public parks mid afternoon, in order to show how good and wholesome they are.

When I 'came out' about this group I was (and still am) subjected to a lot of abuse. But I would still say, be brave and say what you feel you have too.

Posted by: CaptPorridge ()
Date: March 21, 2006 08:31AM

Well I wasn't exactly the first, there was already tons of complaints and criminal charges pressed against the cult I encountered in Korea, but in English there was very little info and what was around was outdated.
AndI found gathering info to be both interesting and rewarding, so that's why I contibinue to keep an eye on GACP: [falsemessiah.proboards23.com]

So that was the main motivation, and in the process I've heard about other groups that would seem to be very very destructive, despite no or very little critical info available.

These two for instance:
[goodnews.or.kr]

And
[www.jeungsando.org]

One thing I've learnt is that lack of critical info is not always a sign something isn't wrong with a group.

One thing I found is that people leae such gropups without a real understanding of how they were indoctrinated, or even if they were indoctrinated. They might look around and see it not listed as a cult and think they are wrong to consider it a cult.
Providing info can help bring people together so that they can share thier own stories and realize they are neither alone, nor wrong to leave the group or have their suspicions.

I would urge you to go ahead with trying to expose the group, but if you do, try to set limits for yourself, don't let it consume your life... stop to smell the roses sometimes

Posted by: windofchanges ()
Date: March 21, 2006 09:44AM

We have had the experience of being sued for writing about a group we were involved with. You might want to consider telling your story anonymously, or a little at a time. There may be a way to do it that will allow the information to be shared, help you reach a degree of peace, AND remain clear of litigation. :) (This is just a thought, and not meant to discourage you!)

Good wishes!

Posted by: Toni ()
Date: March 21, 2006 02:06PM

spectrum
[i:67a31b85e2]Has anyone here been the first to expose a cultic group? If so, how did you get the courage to do it? Is there a way to expose the group without listing my name? What are the legal ramifications of telling the critical truth about events that happened while I was with the group?[/i:67a31b85e2].

My suggestion: Go for it!

How did I get the courage? I couldn't live with myself if I'd remained quiet any longer.

IMHO, silence allows the cult to remain in control.

Please tell your experience.

I suggest keeping yourself anonymous. I mistakenly was identifiable. I received minor, ongoing, harrassment for a looong time. Eventually others began to crawl out and talk. The avalanche can no longer be contained.

You will be gratified when others come forth, confirming the insanity you lived. Your healing (Wellspring) will help others.
Using your pain to help others puts that history to constructive use.
I'm so glad I did it.

Looking forward to your thread and stories!

Toni

Posted by: JD ()
Date: March 21, 2006 04:28PM

All I can say is this is a good place to start. Post the truth that you know. Then maybe we can all help you find a safe more public outlet for you to bring it to light. I am sorry as well as happy for you. Sorry you fell into a situation likes this but happy you have made it out. The search for truth takes many paths some good some bad, but what we take from all of them are what makes it good or bad. So learn from it and maybe you can somehow make it a positive one.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.