Meditation and Mindfulness Practice - Problems
Posted by: corboy ()
Date: November 21, 2018 09:20AM

Meditation Is a Powerful Mental Tool—and For Some People It Goes Terribly Wrong

"I just felt shattered. I had a job, a wife, and two beautiful children, and yet I felt that I would never experience joy again.”

[tonic.vice.com]

When Meditation Goes Wrong - podcast

[www.vice.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Meditation and Mindfulness Practice - Problems
Posted by: Dandelion ()
Date: May 24, 2021 03:11PM

Practicing meditation can have negative consequences, mainly for two reasons:
- wrong method of meditation
- non-fulfillment of conditions for meditation by a person who practices meditation

Many meditation methods that are available are not harmonized with the nature of consciousness and the energy system of human, but their methodology directly disrupts their functioning and increases the degree of disorder that a person wanted to remove / heal by practicing meditation.

Practicing meditation is not going shopping, but requires months of preparation that include healing the energy system, negative emotions and trauma, strengthening the energy part of the nervous system ... etc., all assuming that the person's consciousness is sufficiently developed to be able to meditate at all, which leads to the development of consciousness.

Of course, there are meditations that are not developmental, but relaxation, and they can be practiced by a wide circle of people without fear of negative consequences.

Posted by: facet ()
Date: June 08, 2021 10:02PM

It’s actually been scientifically proven that individuals who struggle with mental illness are at high-risk when they meditate – as they continue to access the recesses of their mind through the practice of meditation, memories of prior trauma, psychosis, and hallucinations or delusions can transmit into a state of manic behavior or thoughts.

[www.kiwireport.com]

In 1977, the American Psychiatric Association published a statement recommending that research on meditation should evaluate both its usefulness and its dangers. And ancient meditation manuals, like the Buddhist Dharmatr?ta Meditation Scripture, likewise indicate that if meditation is not carried out properly, the mind can become unstable, restless or confused. What does this mean to the millions of people using meditation to alleviate everyday stress and anxiety? Not to mention the increase in schools using meditation-based programmes with children – is it possible that some of them may experience more harm than good? The new evidence from this and other recent studies shows that this is a real possibility.

[www.sciencefocus.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2021 10:14PM by facet.

Posted by: facet ()
Date: June 10, 2021 08:28PM

[www.researchgate.net]

Thus, without mentioning the potentially adverse effects in newspaper coverage and in meditation programs on campuses may lead some to discredit and dismiss students' adverse experiences that may have long-term undesirable consequences.

- it is a shame that this “discrediting” also comes in the form of those who have the luxury of not experiencing and perhaps not even noticing / connecting problems to their own practice as “your doing it wrong”.. or “other people are doing it wrong”.

More common, less serious MRAEs that have been reported in surveys of meditators who meditate less than an hour per day include increased depression, anxiety, or panic; reexperiencing of traumatic memories; dissociation; executive dysfunction; headaches or body pain; insomnia; and social impairment (Cebolla et al., 2017;Farias et al., 2020;Lindahl et al., 2017;Lomas et al., 2015). More serious MRAEs including mania, psychosis, and suicidality have also been reported, often in the contexts of intensive retreats (> 5 hr/day) or in conjunction with preexisting psychopathology

I can vouch that on intensive meditation retreats attended by myself, there were at least two persons in the group who had an awful episode, nobody rushed to help them, none of them got care, the group continued and those who had the episodes carried on with the practice only to become very deluded, perhaps in states of dissociation and psychosis.

People wonder why they suddenly have health struggles such as cptsd, anxiety, inability to contain thoughts.. etc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/10/2021 08:31PM by facet.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.