Call For An End To Abuse
Posted by: Richard ()
Date: May 10, 2003 08:19PM

Therapy abuse is rampant. I have been reading the material that the Scientologists have amassed at their psychcrime website. There is a database of 692 crimes committed by therapists there.

Apparently, around 10% of psychiatrists admit to sexually abusing their patients, and this equates to 15,000 rapes (4,500 in the US alone).

In one of the graphs: Number of Mental Health Practitioners Jailed Internationally - there were 12 mental health practitioners jailed in 1995, 53 in 1996, 64 in 1997, 100 in 1998, 160 in 1999 and 180 in 2000.

Whether in traditional religions, new religions, cults, hospitals, psychiatric offices or anywhere else, all form of abuse needs to stop.

Options: ReplyQuote
Call For An End To Abuse
Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: May 10, 2003 08:43PM

It's important to note that Scientology has its own history of abuse allegations and crimes.

See [www.culteducation.com]

Scientology is opposed to all therapy, through the mental health profession. Specifically, they do not accept any psychologist or psychiatrist as a means for treating mental illness or personality disorders.

See [www.cultnews.com]

Scientologists believe they alone have the real answers, not unlike other groups called "cults."

Of course psychiatrists and other mental health professionals should be prosecuted just like anyone else when they commit crimes.

Call For An End To Abuse
Date: May 10, 2003 09:33PM

Rick

I notice you call CCHR (the Scientology group who appear to be the only ones effectivly dealing with the criminal activity being perpetrated by psychiatrists) a, quote: so-called "watchdog group".

If, as you say: "[P]sychiatrists and other mental health professionals should be prosecuted just like anyone else when they commit crimes." Then, which watchdog group is going to ensure this happens?

Call For An End To Abuse
Date: May 10, 2003 11:12PM

Any group can report alleged crimes to the authorities.

Obviously victims and their families are frequently the source for such information.

My point is that the CCHR/Scientology has its own troubled history and agenda.

BTW--are you associated in some way with Scientology and/or have you ever taken their courses?

Just curious.

Call For An End To Abuse
Date: May 11, 2003 08:23AM

I have read some Scientology publications which I found at my local library and have read quite a bit of material at their websites.

You write: "Any group can report alleged crimes to the authorities.

"Obviously victims and their families are frequently the source for such information."

Basically, the situation seems to be that the authorities look upon psychiatrists as infallible experts. From the information I have read about what happens, victims don't really have much of a chance. In reality, the psychiatric profession appears to be a closed shop where those within its ranks can pretty much well do as they please, and where individual psychiatrists stick up for and protect each other in their crimes and atrocities against their patients.

I never believed this type of thing occurred. One naturally assumes that mental health professionals are people you can trust.

Apparently, until CCHR came along and took on the task, no other group, victims, their families or friends really had much hope against the entrenched might of psychiatry.

Call For An End To Abuse
Date: May 11, 2003 07:34PM

I don't agree with your observations. The police and other authorities look upon no one as "infallible."

Psychiatrists are responsible to licensing boards and often state boards/authorities, let alone insurance companies. There are checks and balances in place.

There are sections of the Ross Institute website that reflect many psychologists and psychiatrists being sued and having their credentials taken away.

The CCHR had nothing to do with any of those cases.

See [www.culteducation.com]

And [www.culteducation.com]

I certainly would not recommend working with Scientology or an organization it apparently controls such as the CCHR under any circumstances.

Again, they have their own agenda and deeply troubled history.

There are other avenues, support groups and options without becoming involved with Scientologists.

However, if you wish to be a Scientology/CCHR supporter that's certainly your choice.

Are you opposed to psychologists and psychiatrists as a profession? Do you think they help anyone?

Call For An End To Abuse
Posted by: Hope ()
Date: May 12, 2003 07:41AM

I found the following helpful. This is for anyone going into therapy or coming out of an abusive therapeutic relationship.

[www.advocateweb.org]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.