Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
how much crap can any sane person tolerate?
Posted by: letGodbetrue ()
Date: May 15, 2003 07:11AM

'An eye for an eye' was intended to be guidance for judges in the legal system, not for personal vendettas.

You don't take the example of David seriously, because you don't take anything serious that you disagree with. I assure you that conservative, practicing Jews take it very seriously and literally. Now you're going to tell me that many Jews throw out whole portions of the 'Torah' they disagree with. David's not real? I don't think the Jewish people would care for your defense of their faith.

The God you believe in is something you've made up- you got him at some religious Hometown Buffet, where you pick and choose what you want.

You can't 'buy' the whole Christian theory- it's not for sale. It's free.

You say that you don't believe in the Bible, but you believe the Jewish commentaries on the Bible. Hmmmm.

The verse from Genesis 18 is not a 'Christian interpretation'. It's simply the plain reading of the text.

Figs...

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: May 15, 2003 07:18AM

Jesus withered the fig tree to demonstrate His power to his disciples, and to get them to ask Him a question. It's just a fig tree, I don't think it screamed as it died or anything. He was just a few days away from the cross, and He wanted His disciples to be thinking about who He really was.

As Lord, and Creator, of the Universe, Jesus could have commanded the rocks to produce figs for Him. He just wanted to engage His disciples.

Do you believe that Jesus (of Nazareth, the Jesus of the NT) is fictional, like David?

Posted by: richardmgreen ()
Date: May 15, 2003 09:25PM

Originally posted by letGodbetrue
Jesus withered the fig tree to demonstrate His power to his disciples, and to get them to ask Him a question. It's just a fig tree, I don't think it screamed as it died or anything. He was just a few days away from the cross, and He wanted His disciples to be thinking about who He really was.

As Lord, and Creator, of the Universe, Jesus could have commanded the rocks to produce figs for Him. He just wanted to engage His disciples.
(RMG's reply: So why didn't the fig tree produce? Did it have freedom of will according to Xianity? I'm sure this is an example of how ridiculous all of this is. This is another reason why I only believe in scientific theories. )

Do you believe that Jesus (of Nazareth, the Jesus of the NT) is fictional, like David?
(RMG's reply: I'm sure Jesus was historical but his teachings and his life story were distorted to sell his religion. The moslems also believe that JC was a prophet, but they have problems with what they consider to be the distorted text of the OT as well as the NT.
They also have problems with all the miracle stories attributed to him. Certainly, you know by now that I don't buy the stories about how JC broke laws of nature.
I believe that Xianity, Judaism and ISlam are beliefs that are a management problem. In the future, I hope that people will look for more plausible religious systems.)

Date: May 16, 2003 06:49AM

Are you saying why didn't Jesus just command the tree to produce figs? He never used His divine power to satisfy His own physical needs. You have alluded to some perception that it wasn't the right season for figs? Is that what you're getting at?

I do have a pretty good understanding by now of what you don't believe in (I think). I have not yet checked my commentaries on the whole issue of the fig tree, but I will. Thanks for your posts.

Date: May 16, 2003 09:07PM

Are you saying why didn't Jesus just command the tree to produce figs? He never used His divine power to satisfy His own physical needs. You have alluded to some perception that it wasn't the right season for figs? Is that what you're getting at?

I do have a pretty good understanding by now of what you don't believe in (I think). I have not yet checked my commentaries on the whole issue of the fig tree, but I will. Thanks for your posts.

This particular part of the NT is one that Jews have held up as laughable for a long time. Rather than just debate with me (and I admittedly haven't kept up with this stuff because JC just isn't on my mind so much these day) try some Jewish orgs that get into this.)

Date: May 18, 2003 09:53AM

One of my commentaries indicates that Jesus chose a fig tree with no fruit on purpose, or because, just as you say, the story doesn't make much sense. Apparently fig trees produce fruit about the same time as they produce leaves, but the fruit is considered barely edible until about June. Sometimes a tree will have all of its fruit fall off, but the leaves are still there.

Jesus cursed the tree because He was showing that someone who believes in God should not just have the outward appearance of a believer (the leaves), but should actually produce good fruit. That tree that was cursed had leaves, but had already lost its fruit for that season, so it was no good. Does that make sense?

I'm not expecting you to believe it or agree with it, I'm not even expecting you to believe anything I believe about Jesus. But does that perspective make sense? Plausible?

Thanks for the question on that, I learned a lot on that one. I was not aware of that background on that event.

Date: May 18, 2003 11:53PM

One of my commentaries indicates that Jesus chose a fig tree with no fruit on purpose, or because, just as you say, the story doesn't make much sense. Apparently fig trees produce fruit about the same time as they produce leaves, but the fruit is considered barely edible until about June. Sometimes a tree will have all of its fruit fall off, but the leaves are still there.

Jesus cursed the tree because He was showing that someone who believes in God should not just have the outward appearance of a believer (the leaves), but should actually produce good fruit. That tree that was cursed had leaves, but had already lost its fruit for that season, so it was no good. Does that make sense?

I'm not expecting you to believe it or agree with it, I'm not even expecting you to believe anything I believe about Jesus. But does that perspective make sense? Plausible?

Thanks for the question on that, I learned a lot on that one. I was not aware of that background on that event.
(RMG's reply: You have to understand something about Jews. We take loads of notes. Supposedly, everytime Jesus did anything, someone was watching. This story about the fig tree is WELL known among the Jews. And the Rabbis have been laughing their heads off about it for 2 K years. There's also a tradition that J's real father was a Roman soldier named Pantera and that J was a student of a Rabbi named Perachya.
You might want to try [www.moshiachtalk.com.] Ask Gil Student about Jesus he wrote a book about the subject I think.)

Date: May 20, 2003 02:55AM

are like armpits, everybody has two ( or more ), and they generally stink. First you say you gave up on the Bible and your Jewish faith, in your last post you identify yourself with Jews, as in we, as in 'we Jews'. It might be confusing to the casual observer.

I appreciate that you are familiar with many traditions and theories, however, there has to be some reference work for our discussion to be edifying. David Koresh thought he was Jesus, so what we think is hardly reliable or really matters, except to say, 'Oh, that's interesting'. I can back up my beliefs with what the Bible says, and what most conservative scholars believe through commentaries and systematic theologies.

Open forums like these are great for discussing issues, however they are worthless as a scholarly reference. Why would I go to moshiachtalk.com? It doesn't make sense. Do you know the Torah (OT)? Can't you reference that for what you say Jews believe?

Date: May 21, 2003 09:21PM

are like armpits, everybody has two ( or more ), and they generally stink. First you say you gave up on the Bible and your Jewish faith, in your last post you identify yourself with Jews, as in we, as in 'we Jews'. It might be confusing to the casual observer.

I appreciate that you are familiar with many traditions and theories, however, there has to be some reference work for our discussion to be edifying. David Koresh thought he was Jesus, so what we think is hardly reliable or really matters, except to say, 'Oh, that's interesting'. I can back up my beliefs with what the Bible says, and what most conservative scholars believe through commentaries and systematic theologies.

Open forums like these are great for discussing issues, however they are worthless as a scholarly reference. Why would I go to moshiachtalk.com? It doesn't make sense. Do you know the Torah (OT)? Can't you reference that for what you say Jews believe?
I referenced a Jewish teaching becauses I thought it was interesting. But I don't take it literally. I believe God is everywhere and that his essence permeates all of reality.
I don't believe I'm Jesus, or Moses or anything like that. I'm just humble old Rich Green, who's been burned because I got involved with a few crazy religious orgs. And that's what I try to focus on here.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.