Sahaja yoga
Posted by: Hope ()
Date: February 09, 2006 04:28AM

I was pretty disappointed to find that the free yoga classes offered at my library were Sahaja yoga, but was happy to say my prior experience with Science of Mind, Landmark, and pseudo-gurus, and all the support here, helped me sum up the room, the materials, and get the hell out fast.

A few people showed up with yoga mats, but there was no space open on the floor, and the shrine to Shri Devi told me all I needed to know. However, the flyer the her devotee had prepared had this classic bit of info: No money is required. The devotee has provided this space with his own money because he loves to spread the good news.

Here are some links. The ones SY provide are actually scarier than the cult-buster links.

[yoganewyork.org]

[www.sahajayoga.org]

[sahajacult.com]

[www.culteducation.com]

[varun_yogi.tripod.com]

Does anyone have any first-hand experience of this group? Is she really living in luxury in Italy?

Options: ReplyQuote
Sahaja yoga
Posted by: Gulab Jamon ()
Date: February 10, 2006 01:43AM

I've been to a couple of her free lectures in NYC, but I don't know much else about her. She gives a talk and then has you put your hand over the fontanel part of your head and you're supposed to feel hot air blowing out of it.

She's married to someone who works at the U.N., I think.

Sahaja yoga
Posted by: Welf ()
Date: January 04, 2007 10:34PM

There was a time you could just go and do yoga and or mediation without affiliation to any specific living guru or group. The yoga classes were just the asana excercises and mediation was for relaxing the mind run by individuals who had no interest in 'power' play over other people. But the more I read here and in other places, I can see that things have gradually changed over the years. So many places seem to have some hidden agenda or some guru who you are suppose to revere and pay homage to... and you are encouraged to give extra donations and or recruit new members etc... Naturally, that's all after the free introductory classes which are obviously there to initially suck you in...

Gee... Lately I was looking at a couple of places which are near me and wow... when you really read and look between the lines you realise they are more complex in their intent than initially imagined. What happened to the days when you could go to the local hall, have classes with an accredited yoga teacher or do a bit of mediation with no other hidden agenda in mind...

It's left me wondering which way to turn.. what to really look out for these days because no way do I want to get slowly trapped in some maze... It really is disappointing reading threads like this one. More so that the classes were held at the local library, being a local government public organisiation... in my country at least... and so one would think the library would make sure not to let space out to any brainwashing cult.

Welf

Sahaja yoga
Posted by: Wordgirl ()
Date: January 05, 2007 07:48AM

It's all about the bottom line.

Sahaja Yoga always claims to be free and that "no money is ever taken." But Mataji (the cult leader) has amassed a fortune and she, along with her husband and daughters, lives luxuriously on income raised through lucrative "India tours," mass weddings, pujas and "voluntary" contributions provided by her followers.

These days Mataji is wheelchair bound and in poor health. She is no longer able to speak much except to utter grunts of approval or disapproval.

How do I know all this? I wasted ten years in Sahaja Yoga. I went in thinking I was going to learn yoga and came out wondering what the hell had happened to me. That was about a dozen years ago, however, the only thing about Sahaja Yoga that's changed over the years is Mataji's grip on reality--if she ever had one.

Sahaja yoga
Posted by: Wordgirl ()
Date: January 05, 2007 07:51AM

A good place to learn more about Sahaja Yoga is here:

[www.sahaja-yoga.org]

Sahaja yoga
Posted by: Marvel23 ()
Date: January 11, 2007 02:56AM

why are u people so angry on Sahaja yoga! I was able to make miracles around me and especially within me with the knowledge what I learned from Shri Mataji! I know thats ometimes its hard to understand and to accept Gods ways. Shri Mataj only talks about what she knows about this world. We all do that! We are talking about our experiences in life. And Shri Matajis words are true, I can feel a breeze on top of my head and in me. So what is the problem? Sahaja yoga isnt anything else just a group of people, who are experiencing an interior truth about themselves. Nothing more!

Sahaja yoga
Posted by: cultreporter ()
Date: January 11, 2007 03:56AM

Marvel 23 - Maybe if you want people to accept the truth you could let them feel the breeze gushing out of your head? That would impress me as to the claims of your guru no end.

Apparently Scientologist Tom Cruise can fly (among other mystical talents) :o If only he would show me this I would join up with Scientology in a minute.

When vouching for a guru and thinking that you have found the 'Absolute Truth' please consider how many gurus you reject that all have followers saying exactly the same thing.

Sahaja yoga
Date: January 11, 2007 02:15PM

Ok! U have the right to doubt my words! U have to understand, that if u want to feel the Kundalini energie like a cold breeze u have to be purified very deply! I met many people (christians) for example, who had negative thoughts about energies and the energysystem. But when I went to their houses they always talked about purity and purification, and the simple words that Jesus said: U have to be like the children to reach the kingdom of Heaven (something like that) was a law for them. This is the interior manifestation, the interior truth about the same thing. Kundalini purifies, and YES u can feel it in your body. How could somebody actually convience me about this if I wouldnt feel anything?

Sahaja yoga
Posted by: cultreporter ()
Date: January 13, 2007 05:18AM

Marvel23
Ok! U have the right to doubt my words!

Thank-you. I always try to keep that in mind.

U have to understand, that if u want to feel the Kundalini energie like a cold breeze u have to be purified very deply! [/qoute]

Precisely how did you get so purified? How much did it cost you? Is the product of becoming purified to get to live the millionaire lifestyle of your guru? How is that working out for you?

Have you ever heard of Kundalini syndrome - google it. My former cult leader Siddhawarupananda was waay into Kundalini and all forms of meditation. Now he lives in a house that has the walls lined with tinfoil and makes his followers eat his toenail clippings.

Just because I don't agree with you doesn't mean that I don't understand - that is just standard cult-speak derived from the rationale that we have the absolute truth those that can't see it or would :o claim we are bogus just don't understand. Everyone likes to feel that they are special and that they are onto the meaning of life.

You didn't mention what God it is that you worship - do you just worship your guru? What teachings in that in accordance to - besides the tomes of capitalism? Vedic? well I happen to know a lot about the vedas.

Maybe you could check out my site www.xanga.com/carisjames and read the excerpts from Sai Speaks and note any similarities between my forer guru and yours. I am sure that they would be in there.

Sahaja yoga
Date: January 13, 2007 04:09PM

I didnt payed anyone. Nobody saw my money in Sahaja Yoga. Because its not about that. Its about energies. People who meditate together, and a guru who helps them. In my region this is all what is Sahaja Yoga about. And this is how it works all over the world. I know because I were in some countries already. But u must understand that we are talking about people here. And everyone has their problems, and yes maybe many so called "sahaja yogi" made many mistakes. But u have to understand the esence of what sahaja yoga is about. I think I said everithing I wanted. Thanks for reading me. And for u cultreporter espacialy. :)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.