Pages: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: Hare Krishna Cult Recruiting in Haight Ashbury San Francisco
Posted by: corboy ()
Date: November 10, 2020 11:17PM

Are you an ID ON devotee? You appear to be quite well informed about the organization.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: The Whirlwind ()
Date: November 10, 2020 11:21PM

corboy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Are you an ID ON devotee? You appear to be quite
> well informed about the organization.

What does "ID ON" mean, please?

Posted by: corboy ()
Date: November 10, 2020 11:29PM

ISKCON. Typo

Date: November 10, 2020 11:39PM

Well, I have little to nothing to do with mainstream ISKCON, but I do know many devotees and count them as my friends. I do not think of myself as either a "member" or a "former member" of ISKCON and rarely visited my local temple before the virus came. I regard ISKCON as a cult. It's not a non-sectarian spiritual society anymore (if it ever really was); it's a quasi-Hindu sect. Full disclosure: I am initiated, but I did not have to take the Disciple Course. However, I have studied the Disciple Course materials. Ask me anything.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/2020 11:40PM by The Whirlwind.

Date: November 11, 2020 12:32AM

There are a whole lot of devotees who believe in Prabhupada and his mission, who chant and refrain from eating meat or eggs, but who do not believe in the aims and goals of the institution known as ISKCON, and who regard the mainstream organization as a destructive cult. These are the Hare Krsna equivalent of public $cientologists, and I'd say that the "public devotees" outnumber the "institutional devotees" at least ten to one. Today, most ISKCON temples are ISKCON temples in name only; what they REALLY are, are Hindu temples. The Hare Krsnas are now openly referring to themselves as Hindus; they are openly sectarian in their presentation. The old days are long over, and Gelberg's material is valuable for historical purposes, but it's dated as hell.

Date: November 11, 2020 02:38AM

corboy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Are you an ID ON devotee? You appear to be quite
> well informed about the organization.

Meaning no disrespect, corboy, but you are quite ill-informed about the organization, at least as it operates in North America. You make it out like devotees are all a bunch of fanatics, but it's just not so. Gelberg left ISKCON almost one-third of a century ago, and his writings are simply not an accurate description of the life or thought of your average North American Hare Krsna devotee today. They're just not. Most Hare Krsnas are not monks who live in temples anymore. Back in Gelberg's day, ALL devotees were monks who lived in temples.

Again: it's not my agenda to apologize for, or defend ISKCON. It's lot different today, than the way Gelberg remembers it. My only agenda here is to clear up the inaccuracies I am reading, and there are many. Again, meaning no disrespect.

“Then the Lord answered Job out of the whirlwind, and said; Who is this that darkeneth counsel by words without knowledge? Gird up now thy loins like a man: for I will demand of thee and answer thou me.”

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2020 02:50AM by The Whirlwind.

Pages: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.