Fake monks bracelet scam tourists in NYC & other cities
Posted by: corboy ()
Date: April 24, 2017 01:00AM

Corboy note:

These blokes are reportedly aggressive. That, all by itself, demonstrates that they are false monks.

Report this to the police. One reason tourists are preyed on is they are less
likely to complain. But without reports local police can do nothing.

A wolf can hide in monks robes.

[www.lionsroar.com]

Buddhist rosaries and monk robes can be purchased online.

And if a group is well enough organized to have access to seamstresses,
robes can be made "in house" for a fraction of the online price.

Now that there are many Buddhist communities world wide, and with affluent
sanghas in many Western cities, be alert.

[www.nytimes.com]

William Edelglass, a professor at Marlboro College in Marlboro, Vt., who teaches Buddhist studies and who taught Western philosophy to Tibetan monks in India, said in an interview on Tuesday that he has seen the impersonators shake down Western tourists in India and Nepal. From what he has seen in his travels, he said the practice is now more common than it was years ago.

Many Westerners cannot tell the difference between authentic monks and impostors. Gift-giving is one of the religion’s virtues, and donating to the monks is a chance for lay people to build “karmic merit,” he said.

It was not uncommon to see monks lined up in places like Boudhanath, Nepal, chanting a ritual text and politely holding their begging bowls for offerings. In that setting, a fake monk using strong-arm tactics would be called out because such approaches.

Here are some Fake Monk results from Google searches.

New York

[www.google.com]

Hawaii
[www.hawaiinewsnow.com]

Australia

[www.google.com]

New Zealand

[www.google.com]

San Francisco

[kron4.com]

ebus • 2 years ago
Hahahahah.......this is been happening for some time in SF they mostly flock in high volume tourist areas then going into the districts or hoods. I congratulate you keep searching there's allot to dig up.

drunkbear • 2 years ago
Fucking shameful. Perplexing to see people dressed as monks all over Europe and everywhere I've traveled with extremely high-end DSLRs and items. Many from Southeast Asia, some from Nepal & Tibet.

Needless to say, these are not actually people of faith.

sfnative56 • 2 years ago
I get hit up all the time from these folks as I work downtown. The first time I walked away from the man with the bracelet without giving them a dime. Don't pretend you are giving me something then ask for money. This is a total con job. I was wondering when the media was going to get them. Thank you for doing this Stanley. People need to be aware of these con artists.

defcon888 • 2 years ago
I am 6'2", 270......one of those monks puts a bracelet on me....I;m keeping it.....LOLOL. The rule of thumb is....donate to your church or a local charity only....you know where your money will be going to then!

Daryl • 2 years ago
And then he gets on his cell phone. I CHINESE! I saw them when I stayed in SF a couple of weeks ago. Wasn't falling for it...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2017 01:16AM by corboy.

Options: ReplyQuote
In Frisco, the fake monks may ask you to sign a peace petition
Posted by: corboy ()
Date: April 24, 2017 01:25AM

[www.dailymail.co.uk]

In China, authorities said the problem of 'fake' monks begging in the streets prompted them to create an online registry of all actual Buddhist and Taoist sites.

In 2014, at least nine fake monks were arrested on charges of aggressive begging or unlicensed vending, according to the New York Times.
But their numbers seemed to have only increased. According to the Times, no one seems to know where they have come from, and Buddhists who have questioned them have not been able to get answers.
A New York Times reporter, however, followed one fake monk back to Flushing, where he split his cash for the day with another man, bought a $12.99 jug of red wine, and went back to a flophouse where recent immigrants were living.

Similarly robed men have been spotted in San Francisco, asking tourists to sign their 'peace petition' before demanding cash.
They have also been spotted in other countries, such as Australia, Canada, New Zealand, Hong Kong and China.

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.