Re: Mooji a cult?
Posted by: Sahara71 ()
Date: April 14, 2019 06:00AM

Hi JDecosta,

I read recently that Amma Tanya says she has not had time to remove all the Moo Cult material from her facebook page, so I guess that applies to her Youtube channel, as well. I can't pinpoint for you where I read this, as I have read literally hundreds of pages of material to date.

Amma Tanya is a very busy hospice nursing professional, I believe she is also a college professor and a healer. Her Facebook usage has also been prolific, to say the least. I can imagine it would be difficult to keep a track on everything.

That being said, it is my personal opinion that Amma Tanya was traumatized by the revelations she uncovered about Moo and the subsequent backlash she has faced from her former close cult friends. Cult members turned on her quite viciously and said extremely insulting things to her.

I get the impression that she just wants to move on, as best she can now.

Don't forget, Amma Tanya was once a devotee of the Hugging Guru - and that Guru turned out to be a fraud also! You can imagine how upsetting that would be- to be duped twice in a row...

The Video and photos of her with Moo just serve to prove to me that she was involved quite heavily in this cult. So Amma Tanya is someone who would be likely to have the contacts that could supply her with information about Moo's inappropriate behavior. For me, personally, watching the video of her with Moo confirms that she was indeed a cult insider and would have reason to know what went on there.

I have great compassion for Amma Tanya. I think she is very brave.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: April 14, 2019 03:38PM

I just found this really interesting comment underneath a Youtube video critical of Moo. (I think this video has been shared here previously.)

[www.youtube.com]

The comment is by 'Nigel' and describes Moo's early years in Brixton - where apparently he was involved in a different cult!

The comment is as follows:

"I came across Mooji in a curious manner, long ago. I'll explain. When I was in my early twenties, and living in London, I had a set of friends from an eminent art school, who had become deeply involved in the then 'house church' movement. The house church was an off-shoot of American forms of fundametalist Christianity, with an absolute emphasis of mythical-literal interpretations of the Biblical scriptures. Although I dipped my toe in, I quickly realised something was very wrong. The group I knew in Brixton were largely lovely young people looking to live the lives of the early Christians with an immediacy. There was a person looking to be a leader of the group, who was one of the creepiest people I've ever encountered, highly manipulative and controlling of the members thoughts and behaviours and of course, he had immediate access to God. The Holy Spirit was evoked and who spoke through 'prophecy', and through the laying on of hands. I saw people in euphoric states of mind, recounting experiences of bliss and oceanic oneness with God. There was also screaming, writhing, maniacal laughing, being 'slain'' in the Spirit, babbling in tongues, casting demons out. I have no doubt people had what they imagined had been 'mystical' experiences, though the origins were psychological and not spiritual. And unsurprisingly, the house church harmed many people. It was a fundamentalist Christian cult. It was an important life lesson and I developed a sensitivity to cultishness since then, and I was grateful for the immunisation. As it hapened I knew a lad called Micheal well, that is, the chap who Mooji cites as being a 'Christian mystic' and who was instrumental in Mooji's first apparent 'awakening'. Micheal was indeed a very lovely and gentle young man and an enthusiastic house church member at the time. But he wasn't a mystic. Just a nice young man caught up in a culty house church. Anyhow, I saw on Mooji's official sight a photo of Mooji being baptised by Micheal and Simon, who I also knew at that time, and I burst with spontaneous laughter, I was tickled pink! That's because It was all a drama, a fiction, a shared delusion and a shared hysterical acting out of those fundamentalist mythical-literal beliefs, acting out unconscious archytpes one might say. Fast forward to the present - because I had met Tony Moo in those days and because I knew many of the protagonists in the drama, naturally I was interested when I heard Tony Moo had become a guru. And it turns out he's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy. Almost as if he learned the blueprint of his skills from the house church. On watching videos out of interest, I was dismayed to see a very clever narcissist, with an unending narcissistic supply, who had hoodwinked and brainwashed so many people in the guise of liberation and who actually worshipped him as God incarnate! Wow! Mooji isn't the real thing at all, it's as astonishing to me as the delusions of the house church."

How intriguing is that?

Posted by: swissalyst ()
Date: April 14, 2019 06:23PM

That is indeed intriguing. The official accounts make the house church that Tony Moo was involved in sound so wholesome. “Nigel” makes it sound more like a mini-cult. I have also read that John de Ruiter, as a young man, belonged to a mini-cult: [auticulture.com]

Posted by: corboy ()
Date: April 14, 2019 10:30PM

Whenever we find this kind of material...capture it!

Use of Guru Eyes as accelerated attachment formation/trance
Date: April 14, 2019 11:50PM

Some educational posts here, from past discussions on CEI, thanks to
The Anticult.

[forum.culteducation.com]

Sparkly Eye Technique

[forum.culteducation.com]

Basic advice for anyone considering a visit to an overnight or multi day
transformation seminar or meditation retreat.

Never take a story for granted. When your idealism, hope, attention
and money are being pulled at--- ask if the story is actually serving
a concealed business model.

It is control of the business model and the room set up and the
control of the script that empower you.

A mere 'story' will not by itself empower you if it serves to get you
addicted to the personality of the story spinner.

Look for the business model. How much did it cost to rent the room, print
the brochures?

Two...at any point are you gonna have to sign a waiver of your citizen/resident
alien right to sue or mediate for damages if you are harmed in a workshop?

If that kind of form is shoved at you, demand to take it home so you can show
it to your lawyer.

Preserve your agency and freedom of movement.

Some retreats cut people off from their customary drugs. Do not allow anyone to do this to you. You want your body to feel stable, not throw it off balance.

If taking prescription medications, continue taking them. Do not allow anyone to cut off your access to your RX meds. If they try to hamper you using your prescription medications, leave. Plug your ears to all entreaties and leave.

If you rely on daily caffeine, inquire if caffienated bevarages will be available during the event.

If you arrive and find these are not available as promised, consider leaving.

Consider leaving if the food is different from what was promised. If you paid a lot of money for the event and the food turns out to be skimpy and obviously
inferior, Corboy considers this both profiteering and disrespectful of participants -- and good reason to leave.

Caffeine withdrawal is painful and disorienting. Bring caffeine tablets with you as insurance. (Note: each tablet is usually 200 mg of caffeine. Break the tablets into half or quarters, and take a bit of it at a time. )

If you know that ibuprofen or tylenol or asprin are trustworthy pain relievers, bring a supply.

Never forget that you paid for a service and have customers rights. If anyone tries to put you down, get out of there.

Find out if there your phone plan covers the area where the event will take place.

Bring equipment for charging your phone. If it is an outdoor event, bring a solar charger.

Take your own car. Don't do a carpool. You want the freedom to leave if need be.

In a carpool, indoctrination begins. People tell personal stories, disclose personal information. Use your own transportation, you keep your own privacy.

Keep control of your transportation and dont let anyone guilt you to go Green
by carpooling.

There are times when its better to have your own car.

Keep the keys and make sure never to park where your vehicle might be
boxed in.

If you need to leave, you want to be able to leave immediately.

Bring only items you can afford to abandon.

Keep your telephone, too. What if someone at home has trouble
and needs to reach you?

If they want you to give up your phone or ID card, get out of there.

You are not in jail. Don't let them put you into a jail.

If you decide you want to leave, do not say anything. They may try to
talk you out of it. You do not owe anyone an explanation.

Vacate the premises. Later, you can send a message you've gone. You don't owe
an explanation.

Date: April 15, 2019 08:06AM

Very interesting conversation going on over at the Questioning Mooji Facebook page, under the article that shares what other spiritual teachers have to say about Moo and his devious ways...

[www.facebook.com]

There is some discussion about why the Questioning Moo team decided to remove a quote from Jeff Foster (who is apparently a spiritual teacher himself). Apparently Jeff asked for his quote to be removed.

One poster named Honovi chimes in with:

"....I had copied and pasted his quote onto my wall when I shared the article.

“Unfortunately I know several people with first-hand experience who corroborate everything stated in that article. Many of the things written have been open secrets for years but people are only now finding the courage to speak out.“ -Jeff Foster

Then Jeff Foster himself joins the conversation on Fb:

"Hi. Just to be clear this is not a quote of mine and that's why I asked for it to be removed. Jeff."

Then Annette joins in the conversation and says:

"Jeff Foster your post has been deleted. I saw it the first day the article from Be (Scofield) came out and I saw this quote on your page from you. I’m so glad I never came to the retreat I was planning to with you and Matt."

Jeff Foster then replies:

"I’m looking into this Annette. It’s possible one of my admins posted something without my consent around that time"

Very, very, interesting. One of Jeff's admins posted such a strong statement against Moo on Jeff's page and Jeff himself denies any knowledge of it? Very, very odd. I suspect something is going on here.

I think possibly Jeff's admin had every reason to believe that Jeff would support such a statement, otherwise it would never have been posted. I get the impression that what Jeff says around the water cooler at work is not what he wants people to know as his 'official' line. Just my own personal opinion, of course. People can make up their own minds.

Date: April 15, 2019 12:48PM

Just one more thing:

Joan Tollifson has posted a very cryptic comment on her facebook page. Not that I want to torment poor old Joan, who I'm sure has plenty of sterling qualities!

She says that she does not want to be drawn into any further conversations about her chum Moo, and yet I think 'she doth protest too much'.

I will post the comment from Joan in its entirety, as she is very concerned about being quoted out of context:

"I’m still on a break from Facebook, but I’m popping back in very briefly to post a link someone sent me to a conversation between Adyashanti and Gabor Mate, two men whose work I respect and appreciate very much. I listened to all of it and thought it was worth sharing. They eventually get into discussing the relationship between spiritual and emotional development, how spiritual awakening cannot solve all problems, what’s going on when seemingly enlightened teachers engage in abusive behaviors, dealing with trauma, spiritual by-passing, the blessings of failure, and the importance of silence.
I deeply appreciated Adya saying that for him, and I’m paraphrasing here, spirituality is practical, not metaphysical or philosophical, and that he made a point early on of taking as much time in silence as he spent reading spiritual books.
It’s a conversation worth hearing. But let me be very clear that I’m not posting it to re-start the conversation about a specific teacher, which I definitely do not wish to do. But it does deal with some of the underlying issues that have been raised, issues which I do think are important, and I feel it does this in a clear way, so here it is: [www.scienceandnonduality.com]…/… –
I’ve taken down my recent post about Mooji, as it was really nothing more than the review of him that can be found on the “Recommended Books” page of my website. I had posted it here on FB only as a counter-measure to the way that some of my words, taken out of context, were being used on another FB page to condemn Mooji. At my request, that material has been removed from that page, so the post here feels no longer necessary. It had become very acrimonious, in no small measure because of my own anger (I was quite triggered by some of the comments people made and responded in anger), and I have removed it. I want to remove myself from this whole controversy, as I feel it is bad for my mental and physical health and for my work as a writer trying to finish a book.
And I’m still on break from Facebook, not reading or responding to comments or messages at this time."

(those words of Joan's highlighted in bold script are my own doing)

First Joan denies that she is referring to Moo, but then in the next paragraph she is blabbing about him again!

She posts a comment about Mooji on her Fb page, then deletes it, then re-posts it, only to delete it yet again!

I'm getting some pretty mixed messages for Old Joan, I don't mind saying.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/2019 12:52PM by Sahara71.

Posted by: PapajisaysNO ()
Date: April 15, 2019 02:17PM

Now that’s some good stuff Sahara71.

Good old Joan, she hurts Mooji more than helps by confirming he’s sleeping with his young devotee Krishnabai Sara. I have it on good authority that she is friends with Krishnabia family so of course she thinks it’s fine and gets all stressed out to be challenged, what kind of friend is she to let that happen otherwise.

My take on Jeff Foster is that he is lying to save from Mooji attorney saying he’s got to prove his words. Who are these people who have told him everything? See he’s in a pickle there. He can’t tell them what he knows or he’d lose his standing with his followers. He’s just trying to find a way out, otherwise he’d be furious this was made up out of the blue. Droves of ex Mooji students flock to him so he’s Mooji’s big competition and stands to gain a lot from his demise. That’s my theory.

The quote from utube is utterly fascinating. Makes a great deal of sense and puts a lot into a bigger perspective.

I for one never found Mooji able to answer any questions in any way other than a twist back to some of his favorite stories. Once I saw a woman say she was afraid of God until she met him and now she loves God. He asked her “why are you afraid of God” and she mentioned he flooded the earth, killed babies and animals, and was cruel. He said to her “don’t believe all that nonsense.”

That’s Mooji in a nutshell. Don’t believe the Bible, believe me. I know God so trust me.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/2019 02:20PM by PapajisaysNO.

Date: April 16, 2019 03:43PM

Oh no, PapajisaysNO,

Mooji doesn't just speak for God, Mooji is God. I thought this was common Knowledge? lol :)

Take a look at the Questioning Moo Fb page: They have picked up our quote and added a photo!

See the great Moo getting dunked by some geezers. What fun.

[www.facebook.com]

Two posters on the Questioning Mooji page also share their stories of leaving the cult and getting support. So, so brave. I believe more people will come forward now.

Date: April 16, 2019 08:42PM

[idioms.thefreedictionary.com]

dead men's shoes
A position or entitlement that will only be achieved by someone's death. Derived from the proverb, "It's ill waiting for dead men's shoes."

Sahara71 wrote:

"Droves of ex Mooji students flock to him so he’s Mooji’s big competition and stands to gain a lot from his demise. That’s my theory."

When a big name guru is felled by scandal, this leaves a power vacuum - and a multitude of disciples who are left rudderless.

They are potential recruits. They have the money and time to travel, they still
believe in the spiritual quest, have friendships amongst those who believe in the spiritual quest. These are exactly the customers most desirable to an ambitious guru seeking to profit from a famous guru's disgrace.

Some of them have valuable skills and experience and will be high value recruits.

More ambitious disciples will have deserted the sinking ship. They too are valuable recruits.

Its a perfect opportunity for other ambitious gurus to step into this power vacuum --and recruit followers from the ranks of the disaffected.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.