Re: Mooji a cult?
Posted by: Horowitz ()
Date: March 29, 2019 12:32AM

Mooji with his wife Radha in India, the divorce came after in Portugal:
[www.facebook.com]

It’s not about a failed fiancee partnership or marriage, but more about Mooji’s desire to hide/delete it within the omnipresent awareness and the non-duality.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2019 01:01AM by Horowitz.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: PapajisaysNO ()
Date: March 29, 2019 02:43AM

Completely agree Horowitz,

Mooji hides all kinds of things from everyone. Even people at Sahaja don’t know what each other does there or what each have been tasked to do. It’s a continuous revolving door. He brings in new recruits constantly. And uses people until he decides which ones he likes and which ones he doesn’t. And everyone there knows if they fall out of his good graces they will get tossed. No one steps out of line for long.

Why all the hiding and image sculpting. Especially for one who teaches “Truth” has says “sometimes truth has to lie”...

Crazy making and when people leave they lose it all, their friends, protection, etc. it takes a lot to leave on your own. It takes a lot to stand up and be kicked out. And once you are no longer there, you are treated as if you never even existed. Years spent transcribing his books for him, and bye bye.

It’s pretty sad how people get treated but sometimes life kicks your butt to wise you up. Their the lucky ones.

People feel used.

I doubt Radha got out without having to sign some kind of document to keep quiet for money.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2019 02:46AM by PapajisaysNO.

Posted by: Horowitz ()
Date: March 30, 2019 03:50AM

I have found Mooji’s two same videos [www.youtube.com] or [www.youtube.com] from Tiruvannamalai 2012 with evening Mooji's birthday party, but the Mooji’s Hindu wedding with Radha was not there. I think that the Mooji’s wedding was in the afternoon that day at same terrace in Tiruvannamalai. I recognize that and one of Radha’s best maids was at 1:02, 2:48, wife Radha was still there at 2:14 (L) but not in the bride white dress anymore, and Amma Tanya at 2:40? Mooji covered it up with a profound spiritual talk at 2:35 after the edition out.
They edited out Radha and wedding, but they forgot to delete something from the afternoon Mooji’s Hindu wedding ceremony, it remained on the terrace wall:
“yes Mooji”, “yes Mooji” at 2:03, 3:08.

In one year later 2013, Mooji - Le plus grand choix: [www.youtube.com], Mooji with Krishnabai finally together, but they cheated on Radha-wife many times and now acted a theater and talked about the high spirituality.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2019 03:55AM by Horowitz.

Posted by: Sahara71 ()
Date: March 31, 2019 05:47AM

The Moo Group go to such extremes to eradicate any evidence of Mooji ever being involved with Radha- as though she no longer exists, or in fact never existed.

They ignore the fact that many people were present at Moo and Radha's wedding and that it took place only 7 years ago. Can people be so easily convinced that the wedding never happened? That Radha was a figment of their imaginations?

Possibly.

We have heard reports that the cult members are suffering short-term memory loss form their on-going trance induction and the incessant application of mind-control techniques. They are continually admonished to doubt their own thoughts and throw away critical thinking. Couple this with the fact that they are not permitted to engage in social conversations.... that silence is 'golden'....

We can see an amateur totalitarian state in operation. Information is controlled; language is controlled. People are watched around the clock.

Radha doesn't exist: therefore she never existed.

People are asked to sign non-disclosure agreements at Moo's ashram- the purpose of these documents is to intimidate people.... but they possibly also have the bonus effect of making people feel 'special' when they first arrive at Monte Sahaja. They are continually told that this is their 'one chance at finding freedom'. (When actually it is their one chance at experiencing slavery!) They are made to feel that if they leave the compound, they will never be 'free.'

I was recently contacted by someone who signed one of these non-disclosure agreements and so was terrified of speaking out against Moo that this person was warning others to keep quiet, too.

Sadly, this person was also physically assaulted by a Moo staff member while at Monte Sahaja. To this day, this person is dealing with the trauma of that incident.

I think there is a mis-understanding of what a non-disclosure agreement actually is. They are mainly designed to stop employees sharing trade secrets- they are not designed to prevent a crime being exposed or to prevent inappropriate behavior being exposed. (Not that I am an expert) I did find some information on-line:

[www.pbs.org]

"Those who sign NDAs can generally still talk in certain circumstances, like if they are subpoenaed or are reporting to an enforcement agency, such as the federal Equal Employment Opportunity Commission....

In fact, many experts say such agreements could be declared void if a judge determines that enforcing one would essentially violate public policy. For example, a contract related to a crime."

Posted by: GODHIMSELF ()
Date: March 31, 2019 10:08PM

Sahara 71
Was the wedding of Radha and Mooji a legal marriage?

How old was Radha at this wedding ?

Posted by: corboy ()
Date: April 01, 2019 12:54AM

Shayam Dodge wrote this to critique a Buddhist teacher. But it seems similar
to most guru centered teachings.

I removed the names of the Buddhist teacher whose work is being critiqued by Shayam and replaced that name with "Mooji".

(Corboy note: this teacher has a clean record with zero indication of damaging
meditation talks or practices. I bring this up to illustrate how commonplace these teachings are, whether from a commercial neo advaita guru or a respected Buddhist teacher with a clean record. Anyone seeking to heal from a neo advaita guru by going to a buddhist group needs to be careful that any emotional numbing incurred during ones time in a neo advaita group is not further entrenched by poorly taught buddhistic material)

Read it and see if it matches up.

the entire document can be read here:

[speculativenonbuddhism.com]

Here is an excerpt from this essay with the other teacher's name replaced by Moo.

See if this matches in any way with Moo's teachings.

But there are other, more subtle ways in which Moo’s atman-infused metaphysics actually avoids suffering.

His main priority is concerned with poisonous “mental formations” not political or social freedom. In many ways his weird version of non-self is intent upon transcendence (through dissociation from suffering). Moo is not seeking to apply therapy to suffering but to anesthetize the Devotee to external suffering via freedom from “mental formations,” which is eerily similar to his claim that non-self is to be realized independent of intellectual understanding.

Moo’s so-called “freedom from mental formations” combined with his version of non-self reveal the cornerstone of his philosophy: he is seeking a spiritual liberation from the suffering of the world. One that is independent of “mental formations,” of the intellect and “poisonous” emotions. Moo is seeking a transcendent soul. Therefore, his philosophy is concerned with dissociating from the intellect, from the emotions, from the real world conditions of suffering in order to touch a greater truth.

Moo’s ideology constructs a particular type of citizen: one more concerned with their internal reality than an external one. The devotee, in this sense, self-regulates, self-medicates (or meditates) in order to alleviate their psychic suffering regardless of the social reality they live in. This vision of the dharma prefers anesthesia over social change, the numbing of pain over addressing the real conditions of suffering. Moo’s version of Moo’s teaching seeks to make the subject into a non-reactive, non-discriminating, non-jealous, metta-inspired citizen: A Devotee who abdicates their passion in favor of an ascetic non-participatory attitude, without actually leaving society. A kind of Devotee zombie. It makes the Devotee into a ‘good citizen,’ subservient to authority (or in Moo’s language “seniority”).

Posted by: GODHIMSELF ()
Date: April 01, 2019 02:29AM

Great quote Corboy ..possibly these are some of the reasons that at least 2 of Mooji followers have committed suicides .As you say "anesthesia over social change, the numbing of pain over addressing the real conditions of suffering " This idea of transcending the mind completely and not addressing the condition of the mind ...can be deadly.

Date: April 01, 2019 06:44AM

Godhimself,

I'm not sure how old Radha was at her wedding to Moo. Looking at the photos I would suggest that she was certainly an adult. I have read that she was 26 when she came to Monte Sahaja- I don't know if that is accurate.

I have been told that Hindu wedding ceremonies are legally binding in India and that you need to get a divorce through the court system if you are going to marry again. Apparently Moo married twice within a few years in India and did not worry about getting a divorce!

Of course there are always ways around these things... I did find this interesting website:

[www.njimmigrationattorney.com]

It says:

"In India, a religious marriage ceremony is generally considered a legal marriage. However, for marriages registered under the Hindu Marriage Act (affecting Hindus, Jains, Sikhs and Buddhists), the certificate issued by the temple or gurudwara may not be legally sufficient for all purposes. Individuals married under the Hindu Marriage Act may seek a formal marriage certificate from the Registrar of Marriages. If one of the parties is not Indian, the registrar may request a "no objection letter"... and proof of termination of any prior marriages."

I believe that Radha was from Brazil and Moo from the U.K, so they might not have even bothered going through the formal paperwork side of things....both would have needed to provide written proof that they were not already married to someone else!

Who knows?

Was Mooji ever legally married to the mother of his adult children? Or was it a 'common law marriage' in the U.K?

Date: April 01, 2019 11:50AM

Thank you Corboy for sharing that article, which is very interesting and deserves further consideration.

The big problem I have with Moo's teachings about the 'pure self' is that he seems to be pointing towards a kind of nihilism, where nothing matters and people don't really even exist. I think it is causing vulnerable people to disassociate from themselves and enter into some kind of prolonged trance state, where they are very open to being exploited.

I think that mostly Buddhist teachings or Advaita Vedanta teachings in themselves are not harmful, but focusing on only certain aspects of the doctrines and disregarding other aspects of the teaching is giving people a very skewed perspective.

As the author Shayam Dodge wrote in the article:

Therefore, his philosophy is concerned with dissociating from the intellect, from the emotions, from the real world conditions of suffering in order to touch a greater truth.

I suppose the aim here is to take what you have learnt from being able to temporarily 'suspend' your emotional responses in deference to some kind of 'higher truth' and be able to apply that feeling of peace to everyday life.

For me this would mean that I might pause before I react instinctively with anger or with gratitude and observe my emotions. But I wouldn't throw away emotions all together, as though they are useless and unimportant. That would make me inhuman!

Perhaps some of these teachings are designed for monks who do not participate in the material world of everyday life and who just want to meditate in a cave for years on end?

But for a typical person who just wants to lead a good, harmonious life, some of these teaching are way too extreme?

I found an interesting article from the United Nations (of all places!) which does a pretty good job of explaining Buddhism, I believe:

[www.unhcr.org]

You can see from reading this article that Buddhism does advocate moral and ethical guidelines for leading a good life; such as 'refrain from sexual misconduct' (Moo if you are reading this- that means you too!!)

Posted by: corboy ()
Date: April 01, 2019 08:43PM

Sahara wrote:

For me this would mean that I might pause before I react instinctively with anger or with gratitude and observe my emotions. But I wouldn't throw away emotions all together, as though they are useless and unimportant. That would make me inhuman!

This is where it becomes so important for an instructor to be a balanced person, someone who is not running from his or her own problems, someone who can assist
people to apply the teachings so as not to foster dissociation or moral indifference.

Many of us want an escape hatch, temporarily or permanently, so we are tempted to take a little too much of something, whether it be alcohol, benzos, or just to hit the snooze alarm and sleep late on a work day.

People like us, when introduced to these doctrines might be biased to use these to dissociate and we would need for an instructor or wise meditation buddy to tell us, 'No, you're taking this too far. You need to stay present to your pain for a little bit longer, find out what it's trying to tell you."

Or:

"Damn right your friends and family are angry at you for meditating. You're physically present to them, while emotionally absenting yourself while claiming
you love them. That's BS and they're right to feel angry at you."

"You have no right to use your advaita or meditation practice to invalidate other people's anger toward you. You may have wronged them, Examine your behavior toward them. You may have done them harm and need to make amends."

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.