Current Page: 30 of 261
Re: Mooji a cult?
Posted by: happytown ()
Date: November 03, 2018 05:13AM

Gaslighting is often misunderstood, but plenty of literature on it:

www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/here-there-and-everywhere/201701/11-warning-signs-gaslighting%3famp

"How do you know if you're being gaslighted?

How do you know if you are being gaslighted? If any of the following warning signs ring true, you may be dancing the Gaslight Tango. Take care of yourself by taking another look at your relationship, talking to a trusted friend; and, begin to think about changing the dynamic of your relationship . Here are the signs:
1. You are constantly second-guessing yourself
2. You ask yourself, "Am I too sensitive?" a dozen times a day.
3. You often feel confused and even crazy at work.
4. You're always apologizing.
5. You can't understand why, with so many apparently good things in your life, you aren't happier.
6. You frequently make excuses for your partner's behavior to friends and family.
7. You find yourself withholding information from friends and family so you don't have to explain or make excuses.
8. You know something is terribly wrong, but you can never quite express what it is, even to yourself.
9. You start lying to avoid the put downs and reality twists.
10. You have trouble making simple decisions.
11. You have the sense that you used to be a very different person - more confident, more fun-loving, more relaxed.
12. You feel hopeless and joyless.
13. You feel as though you can't do anything right.
14. You wonder if you are a "good enough" girlfriend/ wife/employee/ friend; daughter.
15. You find yourself withholding information from friends and family so you don't have to explain or make excuses"

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Applejuice ()
Date: November 04, 2018 04:50AM

I've read a lot of comments on this thread and thought I would give my opinion. My opinion is my own, and I'm not here to defend or attack anybody. Simply to tell the truth as I see it.

Just so you know where I'm coming from, I've followed Mooji's teachings for over 10 years on and off, so I witnessed him speak to a half empty room to forming Monte Sahaja and becoming a spiritual superstar. I have never lived at Monte Sahaja, although I stayed there for a few weeks.

First things first, let's address the sexual abuse claims. As far as I'm aware Mooji has had several girlfriends throughout the years, and was faithful to them. He never claimed to be a monk, and already had children by the time he was awakened. Anyway his girlfriends were always known. They were proper relationships. It wasn't a different 'girlfriend' every week or so. No, they were relationships that spanned several years until they broke up naturally.

I have NEVER heard of Mooji sleeping with female followers, or grooming them in any kind of way. And I've been around long enough, and have enough close insider information to know if anything like that cropped up. So until evidence is shown, I will regard claims of sexual abuse as slander.

It's true that there are many young european women around, but they come of their own choosing. Throughout the years I have also noticed Mooji almost never shows preference to females over males. This is evident in satsang, you don't need my word for it.

Somebody claiming to live in Monte Sahaja said that Mooji monitors their sex lives. Well I don't live there so I have no idea if that's true. But I stayed there for a while and I'm friends with people who live/lived there. So I can offer a little insight. People trust Mooji a lot, and tell him things about themselves. When you live in such a small commune it's difficult to keep secrets, especially a relationship. And his disciples often go to Mooji asking for his blessing or advice regarding a relationship. I have no idea what is said in these little consultations, but I believe Mooji expresses his opinion on whether they should be together. I don't think he banishes people if he believes they don't work as a couple. So that's more how it works. Insinuating he has spies checking who is sleeping with who is absurd, and like I said he wouldn't need to because people talk to him willingly.

As far as I know, the only reason he would not approve of a relationship is if he felt it distracted you from your satsang/spiritual work. Some people get into relationships then start arguing, or their emotions flair, they might miss satsang, they can't focus because they're thinking about their partner. Mooji always expresses that the best relationships are those where you can be in satsang/worship God together. You may not agree, but it's a reasonable viewpoint.

Now let me offer you an example. Some of you may remember a young woman named Samadhi. She was very beautiful, and had a lovely spirit. In videos from 2 years ago Samadhi can be seen sitting next to Krisnabai a lot, they looked like sisters. She was also extremely close to Mooji. So close that they would have private one to one Skypes when she wasn't around. he treated her like a daughter, and I know she loved him like a Father. This song doesn't really do her voice or songwriting skills better. [www.youtube.com]

From what I know she was messing around with a married man at Monte Sahaja, who had a wife and kids back home. When Mooji got wind of this he told her in no uncertain terms that she is to end the relationship because it's not healthy to be in this drama breaking up a happy home. And this was very distracting for her spiritually.

Samadhi had to make a decision, and in the middle of the night she left with her lover. She has since cut all contact from the Sangha and Mooji. Now Mooji never banished her, he simply gave his opinion on their relationship. She chose to cut dies and requested nobody contact her after she left. I would not call this interfering in peoples sex lives. But I can see how it might look like that.

Many people seem to think that Krishnabi is Mooji's girlfriend or something. I can tell you that they are not together. Of course if they had a secret relationship I would not know. But again I'm privy to insider info, and I'm told that's not the case. Now I have heard that Krishnabi at one point was in love with Mooji, or still is. But Mooji publicly announced his celibacy soon after breaking up with his Brazillian girlfriend, and it doesn't seem like he plans to break it. When he announced this during satsang, Krishnabi can be seen crying. So I think he views her as his devoted disciple. Maybe she views him as more than a spiritual teacher, but we'll never know. I also heard she got into a physical fight with his Brazillian girlfriend, which possibly played a part in her leaving. I just know that she's always very happy whenever I meet her.

Now the sex stuff is out of the way, let's talk Mooji worship. Does Mooji see himself as a God? I have no idea. But does Mooji allow others to worship him as a God. Possibly yes.

This one is tricky. In the old days, before he was huge, things were much more simply. People didn't go around wearing white, feet kissing was rare, his picture wasn't everywhere. What's changed? I can't say for certain but I feel this is more due to the nature of people around him.

First we need to look at Mooji's character. I feel that he takes a very lax approach to things, he just allows things to happen around him. This is evident even before he was a master. People used to go to his house to smoke, drink and do whatever. He kind of fell into his teaching job. And now as a master he kind of takes the same approach to life. I don't think it's necessarily bad, but I don't think it's a good trait to have either.

If you walked into a persons house and saw pictures of themselves everywhere, even in the bathroom, you would assume they were extremely vain. But be under no illusion, displaying Mooji's picture everywhere is NOT his idea. His followers love to see his picture, and he allows them to. Honestly in my opinion it's a bit much having his photo everywhere, but I'm not a decision maker.

I know of a little story in Monte Sahaja. A guy showed up a while ago and questioned Mooji to his face as to why his picture was up everywhere. Mooji replied that his followers displayed his picture, but he doesn't care either way. In fact Mooji told the guy that if it bothered him so much he could take down the picture(in this instance it was one near the satsang hall/temple in Monte Sahaja). The next day the Mooji's picture from the hall went missing. Nobody saw the guy take it, but he was under suspicion. Of course Mooji didn't say anything, and the picture remained down for a number of days. The women in Mooji's inner circle soon got together and decided to put up another picture of Mooji in the satsang hall, and made a big ceremony of it. So this goes to show that it's his followers who want his photo displayed everywhere.

Even this thing of silence or not speaking too loudly is encouraged by his people, and not Mooji. Anybody who knows Mooji outside of satsang can tell you how he likes to joke and be loud.

I think that Mooji needs to rein his people in a little and stop allowing them to control how things are run. I also think he should be a little more firm in telling people not to touch his feet or stand when he enters the room(which only started about 3 or 4 years ago). He allows them to worship him because it gives them pleasure. But he should know it only furthers confusion.

Let's address the allegation that he shouts at people. Personally I have never heard him shout at people. I have heard from someone in the inner circle if he's rushing for time he can shout, but it didn't seem to be out of meanness or a frequent habit. Just sometimes you shout to get things done quickly. But that's second hand information, in reality I don't know. I can just say if he does shout it's very rare. And I've been around him many times away from the camera over the years.

Why hasn't Mooji been in India? Again I have no idea, some people mention tax issues, Mooji's team has said he is too tired and needs rest. I won't repeat what I've heard in detail, but I have it from another source that some people in India are EXTREMELY unhappy with Mooji, and it would be safer for him not to travel there. The reasons for their unhappiness are a mystery to me, but they mean business. Until that issue gets resolved, I doubt we'll see Mooji in India anytime soon. FYI all the satsangs in India were free entry for the entire retreat, it's been that way for years. So I doubt it's a tax issue.

I was not around when that man committed suicide in Monte Sahaja, and never asked for details. Therefore I can't comment. What I I can say however is that Mooji's teachings attract many people who suffer from mental illness. These people would be better off taking some medication, and working on their self esteem in more conventional ways rather than visiting Monte Sahaja. I don't think Mooji makes people unwell, but if you are suffering from depression or mental illness sometimes it can exasperate your condition if you are not careful. I know of 2 people personally who were asked to leave Monte Sahaja because they started acting a bit wild over there. Both had a history of mental illness before ever going, I just think the place triggered them.

I could write so much but this would be way too long. So I will address one last point.

As for whether he employs hypnosis techniques, I can't say. Someone alleged people are told to reply in unison in advance. I can tell you that's false, as I've sat in the crowd in multiple countries hearing the invitation, and people give genuine answers at the same time. I suppose it's a kind of trance or hypnosis. It's entire aim is to lower your minds state, so you can feel that peaceful feeling. But he makes it quite clear that's what his aim is. So not sure how he's being deceptive here.

I will agree that listening to the invitation by itself won't make you free. Sometimes satsang is like a drug, you keep having to go back for another hit. Me and a long term friend remarked the other day how we were one of the guys from the early days left. All of the others have vanished. It's very sad, and makes me feel something is missing from the teaching. I don't believe Mooji should deny peoples persons or reality altogether. Sure ultimately we are God, but relatively we still need to eat, we still need relationships, we need shelter. So he needs to address that. This is why so many people have breakdowns once they leave Monte Sahaja. Because up there they are living in a bubble, you simply follow a routine and everything else is taken care of. When you go back home your relationships may have suffered, you realise it probably wasn't wise to have thrown your career away, you have no support. It's very difficult. And that satsang high you once had is now faded. Telling yourself that reality is a dream doesn't quite work when reality slaps you in the first and you're looking for a place to sleep. I still believe Mooji is a great person and has a lot of deep wisdom. He has helped me in my life tremendously. But you should understand that his teachings are not the be all and end all. You can't run away from life listening to Mooji. And enlightenment after watching one video is a joke. Millions of youtube views later I haven't heard this to be true. Please take of yourselves, and don't get caught up in trying not to be a person. Just do the best that you can while having an open and clean heart. Because I'll let you know many of the people staying in Monte Sahaja are no closer to the truth than you are.

Date: November 04, 2018 04:56AM

Although the invitation offers immediate awakening for everyone, apparently 55% of users may experience some chafing as a result of prolonged usage:

[www.psychologytoday.com]

"Meditation is generally promoted as having many health benefits, and mindfulness meditation has been actively promoted in the past two decades. It is a western, non-sectarian, research-based form of meditation derived from a 2,500 year old Buddhist practice called Vipassana. However, it is important to know that meditation of any kind is not for everyone.There are several studies indicating that up to as many as 55% of long-term meditators showed adverse effects, including partial epileptic-type seizures, with adverse effects increasing with the length of practice. Meditation can produce anxiety, panic, confusion, depression, agitation, ongoing dissociation, hallucinations, tics, sweating, trembling, shivering, worsened interpersonal relations, psychotic breakdowns and suicidal tendencies in some people. Meditation is particularly dangerous for those with a history of schizophrenia."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2018 04:56AM by happytown.

Date: November 04, 2018 05:16AM

I also want to add a couple more things.

You are free to leave at any time in Monte Sahaja. What you'll find is people often want to overstay their welcome.

Sometimes if someone has remained for too long, Mooji will send them out into the world for a few weeks or months just to make sure they do not become dependent on him or Monte Sahaja. And the residents change a lot over the course of the year.

Wifi is available all over, and there are a couple of main charging ports for your phones or devices. Generally due to the routine of the day, most people use their phones in the evening. You might notice many of your friends at Monte Sahaja only posting on facebook at night.

I think for this reason alone Mooji is not a cult, because he doesn't trap anyone at his residence, or cut them off from the outside world. When people choose not to contact friends or relatives back home, it is done of their own choosing.

I will concede that there are cult like aspects to Moji/Monte Sahaja such as what can be perceived as worship, praying to images of Mooji etc.

Date: November 04, 2018 05:30AM

Although you may perceive that someone decides to leave in the middle of the night and that they acted irrationally, often it's a confusing one-sided story that group members latch onto. Groups always have a rational explanation for why someone left, and the weight of group tendency to agree can really confuse any ex-member, in particular these few you have named in an attempt to shame:

The group dynamic, the "definition of the situation" is always heavily manipulated by any group leader:

[www.thoughtco.com]

If there is no reason for someone to flee in middle of the night, your worldview is secure. If there is, at first the group will likely seek to quash it and discredit it, so that their shit holds together. Only when under pressure, will any vague attempt be made to reconsider the current paradigm. Until then, the main option is "scapegoating"

[en.m.wikipedia.org]

In the cult of confession, people don't confide every little secret in the leader because they trust them, but rather because they have been conditioned to feel extreme anxiety for withholding:

[libertyforcaptives.com]

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2018 05:37AM by happytown.

Date: November 04, 2018 06:16AM

Happytown it's one sided because she never stuck around to tell her story. But nobody demonised her. She is still held in high regard, and people miss her. Like I said people tried to reach out to her, but she wanted to cut all ties to the community. You also assume I'm part of the community, when I made it clear I don't live there.

I never once attempted to shame anybody. Samadhi is a brilliant human being, I love her, and don't judge her for her actions. She was always a free spirit, and Monte Sahaja didn't suit her. Personally I could never live in Monte Sahaja for the same reason. If anything people were just disappointed she didn't open up and explain she was feeling so unhappy, instead she left without saying goodbye.

It feels like you WANT me to judge and shame these people. I don't. I'm just being honest about the situations that I've seen and heard about. I thought of not mentioning her by name, but I don't want to hide this story. People should know that life isn't perfect, not even in Monte Sahaja which they call heaven on earth.

The reason I told that story is to highlight Mooji isn't overly invested in peoples sex lives as stated by someone else, but he will speak his mind if he thinks it interferes with your spiritual practice.

People come and go all the time. Believe me nobody has time to make up reasons as to why someone has left. This story was only significant because of her closeness to Mooji, and she was quite popular. And the manner in which she left. If she announced she was leaving it would not have been a talking issue.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2018 06:38AM by Applejuice.

Date: November 04, 2018 06:42AM

I have no idea either way.

But I promise every ex-cult member reading this is rolling their eyes at you.

People don't cut ties to their guru for such mundane reasons. Although such things may be the narrative that gets spun.

I assume by Samadhi you mean this woman:

[youtu.be]

Bear in mind that close Amma associate Gail Treadwell spent twenty years with Amma only to be labeled paranoid and abusive when she left. Apparently although it took twenty years to see the signs, they were there the whole time.

In any case, assuming what you say is true, using a relationship, getting pregnant, getting sick, these are all common ways to escape an oppressive situation. When you are struggling to find a way to just walk away but are indoctrinated, the depth finds a way. They'll call it the "mind sabotaging your chance for freedom" or something.

Incidentally I heard that it has become common practice to seek the gurus approval for relationships. Good luck with that. That kind of thing always ends well.

Date: November 04, 2018 06:50AM

Again you are making a lot of assumptions. You don't know the woman at all and call her oppressed. She is one of the most free thinking women I've ever met. She won't be oppressed by your ideas about her.

We don't know why she left, and the truth is it's not even important. I told the story to highlight a point. Why she left is nobodies business but her own.

The story was to highlight why Mooji might make comment on a relationship, not WHY she left. And again she didn't need a relationship to leave. I told you people are free to come and go as they please. She could simply state that she needs a break. Or she wants to spend time with her family. But the manner of leaving in the night is what was striking about it. Why not at least wait til morning and say goodbye? It feels like she had a split emotional decision.

I'm not part of the organisation so I don't need to defend it. If I was I wouldn't even tell you this story. Most things that happen over there you won't hear about. And you are making this story bigger than it was in reality. I've heard from someone who is still in touch with her, and she's enjoying her life and moved on. She certainly isn't making any allegations again Mooji or his team. She's just on a new path in life.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2018 06:57AM by Applejuice.

Date: November 04, 2018 06:56AM

Gosh I'm full of assumptions.

It may not be as easy to leave as you think:

Repost: [newrepublic.com]

High demand groups are full of all sorts of people, intelligent, capable, and clever. The environment of thought reform is oppressive.

Date: November 04, 2018 07:00AM

Again what does your link have to do with Monte Sahaja? What is wrong with you? I told you Monte Sahaja doesn't hold ANYBODY HOSTAGE. You just buy your plane ticket and order a cab if you wanna go. So why did you link to to a page that has nothing to do with Monte Sahaja or Mooji???

This is a prime example of making assumptions, and creating gossip out of thin air. Thousands of people visit Monte Sahaja from all over the world each year, can you point me to just 1 single case of someone not being able to leave? If not give up the slander.

Furthermore are you aware that the person who you claim was oppressed and was unable to leave, was paid to live in London and help run the Sangha? She only went back to Portugal for a short while before she left permanently.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2018 07:08AM by Applejuice.

Current Page: 30 of 261

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.