Landmark causing bipolar mania?
Posted by: landmark2 ()
Date: November 30, 2016 11:13AM

I went through Landmark Forum and afterwards was not myself, which I suppose is the point of the training to "transform." I'm struggling to understand what happened. Did Landmark trigger a manic episode because I was always bipolar and the stress of landmark set it off OR did I just become brainwashed from Landmark and my erratic behavior was due to the "training?"

In terms of background information, I went through the course. While going through it, I experienced insights and revelations about my life and myself. I started to let go of past incidents and approach the future with a new and unhinged outlook. I also felt that some of the lessons impacted me like "life is short" "live now" and "you have nothing to fear" etc. So, leaving Landmark, I felt like I "got it" and approached life with new vigor.

In the course, I worked out some serious issues with my brother, my wife and my career. I experienced a lot of stress and didn't really sleep. So, I can't tell if what happened after is a result of the course or if it is a result of a pre-existing bipolar condition.

After the course, I didn't sleep. I was convinced that I was going to fix the homelessness problem in NYC and get rid of Alzheimer's. I decided to quit my job (of 10 years) and become a screenwriter. I quit my job in a crazy way, decided to move, and decided that everything would work itself out. I convinced myself I was enlightened and nothing mattered--money etc. I had all the hallmarks of mania but I felt like it was the landmark "training" that caused me to behave in such a way. However, I was acting much more erratic and manic than my wife who went through the program but I figured I must've "got it" and she didn't.

Anyway, I'm really confused about what happened and am wondering if I don't have bipolar disorder and the course just caused me to behave this way.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Landmark causing bipolar mania?
Posted by: liminal ()
Date: December 03, 2016 09:02AM

Good discussion here: [forum.culteducation.com]

Posted by: GloriaG ()
Date: December 11, 2016 06:57AM

Hi Landmark2,

The Forum weekend is designed to give you a massive dopamine high at the end of the 3 stressful days, so that you believe you are strong enough to make radical changes in your life. And if you already have a condition like bipolar, then it can trigger an attack also,

I did the Forum and I experienced the high and but I also felt weird and didn't trust it. So I didn't change anything in my life. And then I came down and felt terrible.

This thread is also helpful on understanding how it works.

LGATS and dopamine thread.

Check out Landmark in the Large Group Awareness Training section of this Forum. I learned a lot and it saved my sanity.

I hope you find a way out of this without too much further trauma.

Posted by: corboy ()
Date: December 11, 2016 11:06PM

If anyone wants to contribute, I am starting a new thread discussion
on what it is like to come down from LGATs.

Anyone can start a new discussion.

Corboy

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/11/2016 11:07PM by corboy.

Posted by: corboy ()
Date: December 11, 2016 11:13PM

If anyone wants to contribute, I've started a new discussion
here:

LGAT highs and coming down from LGAT highs - what was it like?

[forum.culteducation.com]

Posted by: landmark2 ()
Date: December 29, 2016 06:22AM

Thanks for the follow up. So, I suppose it's almost like cocaine for the brain and if someone has bipolar disorder this can definitely trigger it.

What's weird is that my episode seemed like I was just "getting" the landmark lessons but eventually the wheels starting coming off and I was acting a bit erratic.

I appreciate the information. I'm just trying to make sense of things.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.