Is this forum an appropriate place to discuss academic studies of NRMs/Cults?
Posted by: Maksutov ()
Date: November 21, 2016 11:40PM

I am interested in NRMs/Cults from a historical/sociological perspective. Is this an appropriate forum for such discussion? Thanks for your consideration.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is this forum an appropriate place to discuss academic studies of NRMs/Cults?
Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: November 22, 2016 03:02AM

Yes.

People posting here discuss groups called "cults," which includes groups and movements some people prefer to call and "NRM."

Many groups called cults are not based upon religious or spiritual claims and therefore cannot be correctly called NRMs.

Destructive cults can be based upon such things as martial arts, commercial schemes, politics, therapy, training courses, pseudo science, exercise, or whatever.

See [culteducation.com]

The Cult Education Institute includes a database of information about controversial groups and movements, some that have been called "cults."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2016 03:24AM by rrmoderator.

Re: Is this forum an appropriate place to discuss academic studies of NRMs/Cults?
Posted by: Maksutov ()
Date: November 23, 2016 11:37AM

Thank you. This forum and this site are a valuable resource. I appreciate the work that has gone into it and continues daily.

My interest is in groups with authoritarian/fascist elements that have sprung from the Ballard and Pelley groups in California in the 1930s through the 1950s. I will post about this later in a separate thread.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.