Children of the True Light cult/commune?
Posted by: diafel ()
Date: September 18, 2010 06:20AM

I'm looking for information on this group. As far as I know they were/are based out of Colorado, Arizona, and Washington.
They started as a commune, I believe, with several people sharing a household perhaps around 18 or so years ago in Colorado and eventually evolved into more of a cult operation moving back and forth through several states, the last being in Washington roughly 2 or so years ago. They could even still be there.
Their leader was/is someone who calls himself Motika. Not sure of the spelling on that one.
Last known whereabouts of Motika and his group had been in Republic, Washington.
I've done several web searches and I can find absolutely zip about this group, despite being told that they had operated websites in the past.
Can anyone give me any information at all about this group?
Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Children of the True Light cult/commune?
Posted by: diafel ()
Date: September 19, 2010 01:01AM

The last place I know of for sure was Republic, Washington.

Posted by: mbrownone ()
Date: June 10, 2011 03:38AM

Hi there, I realize this is a pretty old post, but I was just being curious and googling around. I was intrigued and decided I would join this forum and add my tiny piece. I'm from C-Springs, and knew Motica (<- correct spelling) Jhai when he first came here around the early 1990s. There was a website/forum for a while www.thechildrenofthetruelight.com, but its been years since it was up and running. "They", as a group, are no longer running out of Washington as far as I know; but some of them (or former "them") still live in WA and AZ. I'm still in touch with a few people from those days, If you're seeking specifics or trying to get ahold of somebody, you could message me here and I can give it a try.

General info on the Children of the True Light (also formerly know as COTTL and as RUMOUR... Rebuilding and Uplifting Motherearth as Our Universal Responsibility in some of their writings):

- They professed to believe in the "Ascended Masters" and the "I AM Consciousness", especially as it's explained in the books the Life and Teachings of the Masters of the Far East by Biard T. Spalding (vol 1-6).

- Other popular books among the group included; the I Am Discourses, the Aquarian Gospel, the Essene Gospels of Peace, and a number of Theosophical Society books, especially those by Alice Anne Bailey.

- Other teachings of the group included the use of "Sacred Objects", "World Healing Affirmations", & the potential of any individual to achive this "I AM Consciousness" that was said to be held by many great religious teachers, including Jesus, Gautama the Buddha, and India's Babaji among others.

- Persons in the group were expected to maintain a vegan diet, and to try to work toward (or "evolve") a diet consisting of more "live foods" and "fruitarian".

- Many of the teachings of the COTTL seem to have come from a group that was called the Aquarian Foundation. There was a man who went by the name "Cote" (coh-tay, not sure of spelling) who personally knew the AF's founder, Keith. I believe that for a long time Motica considered Cote his guru so to speak.

- One place that people could generally find at the very least a direction to head in a search for Motica and company was at the anual national gatherings of the Rainbow Family of Living Light.

- The COTTL formed in Colorado Springs in the early to mid 1990s; later in the late 1990s moved (and somewhat spread out) to AZ, then to GA (maybe a short time in NM &/| NC in there somewhere) then ended up in WA in the 2000s . To my knowledge, "they" are no longer a formal group, but that is an assumption based on second hand information (from two former group members each living states apart from each other).

If I have offended anyone by posting this information which I consider to be very general, I apologize. If I have given any misinformation here, I also apologize, and welcome any responses from those who may differ on their opinions of any details, or who wish to provide diafel with more info.

Posted by: Vernie77Klein ()
Date: May 02, 2012 10:15PM

I am a former member of Children of The True Light. Motica was considered a spiritual as well as "physical " guru. Mbrown you are correct as far as teachings of the commune. I've been gone since 1996 when we were all living in Savannah Georgian. I haven't heard from or spoke to any memeber or former member since. I would like to get in touch with a few former members though. If anyone could help me out. My leads for Motica have dried up. Thanks

Posted by: mbrownone ()
Date: May 02, 2012 11:53PM

Vernie,

That was a while ago. I may be able to get in touch with a few people you knew, feel free to send me a private message, and maybe we can figure out who you knew (if I know them by the same names) and if I could try to put you in touch with anyone you'd like to try to contact.

And yes, a "physical" guru. That was certainly the most controversial aspect of the group, and of Motica.

mbrown

Posted by: burned_by_a_cult ()
Date: August 08, 2012 11:11PM

For those of you who were at one point in COTTL or somehow involved with Motica (or some other cult/organization with similar structures) you may really want to give this journal article a serious read. You may find some answers and it will certainly bring up questions. It will help with your healing process.

Additionally, if you have contact with others that were involved with this group I would highly encourage you to get this paper to them as well. It may be extremely helpful with their healing process.

The article can be found:

http://cultresearch.org/pdf/csj14-1.pdf

I'm also attaching a screen shot of the first page.

As a disclaimer I'm in no way connected to the author of this article, but I found the author's work very insightful and helpful.

Attachments: useful.jpg (68.9 KB)  

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.