Re: Uma Inder , Umaa
Posted by: nowthewiser ()
Date: October 31, 2017 12:11PM

Well, that expose about her is now back up:

[www.facebook.com]

Date: November 01, 2017 12:48AM

From their Facebook post...and then there's lots more in the full exposé in the link below:

THE UMA INDER EXPOSE

Our non-profit organization received numerous complaints about the yogi guru known as Uma Inder (a.k.a Umaa) located in Ubud, Bali. Ex-students of Inder’s contacted our office with very serious allegations, claiming that she manipulates, exploits and abuses students in various ways.

We would like to state that the purpose of this expose is not to slander, libel or harm Uma Inder in any way; it is to bring awareness, to educate and to potentially change her allegedly damaging practices. (Please note: our efforts to communicate with Uma Inder to verify the allegations against her were rejected by her and her legal team. Moreover, FACT was threatened by her lawyers with legal action if we decided to run this expose.)

The expose sections are as follows:

1) Exploitation and Abuse Claims
2) Recruitment, Indoctrination, and Practices
3) Analysis Of The Allegations According To The B.I.T.E. Model
4) Known Affiliations
5) Conclusion

Today we begin with Part One of our expose, concerning the claims made by students against Uma Inder for exploitation and abuse. According to our opinion and belief upon analyzing the complaints, we believe Umaa Inder’s traumatic teachings and influence may have led to the exploitation and abuse of her students. The allegations against Uma also claim that she caused various physical, mental and emotional issues in her students, such as PTSD, depression, chronic anxiety, self-loathing, severe weight loss, speech impediments, loss of critical thinking skills, severe mental breakdowns and even suicidal tendencies.

Some quotes from the complaints we received:

1) “I had frequent anxiety attacks and suicidal impulses, with frequent horrific, vivid visions of self-harming that felt like the better alternative to continuing ‘the process’ with Uma Inder.”

2) “Like many who have suffered under Uma’s physically and emotionally violent ‘teachings,’ I have experienced symptoms of PTSD for years after exposure to Uma and her abusive cult followers. I too physically and emotionally abused others while I was in the cult, and afterwards, bore sufficient stress in my body that I suffered severe physical, mental, and emotional consequences.”

Moreover, ex-students claim to have been victims of, and/or witnessed, physical attacks and emotional abuse by Uma Inder and by her devoted long-time followers, sanctioned, as one ex-student put it, under the guise of “transparency” to foster intellectual and spiritual development. Below are some of those allegations:

1) “Uma Inder at least twice physically assaulted students on her private SATYA retreat immersion, kicking one girl for failing to address her and tackling and clawing another to the floor.”

2) “Emotional and physical outbursts are sanctioned because they are ‘real,’ and this creates aggression and tension which stifle students’ capacity for critical thinking, while instilling Uma as the center of students’ worlds.”

3) “Inder has spat at students and watched and encouraged as students assaulted one another in retreat immersion settings, systematically encouraging violent and abusive behavior among cult members.”

4) “Uma has assaulted her students who failed to submit fully to her will, both in closed retreat sessions and in numerous personal encounters.” As per the allegations, “She implicitly outsources most of the threat of violence to devoted, long-term students, one of whom has threatened physical violence and murder against students who would ‘harm Uma in any way.”

As stated in the above quote, ex-students also claim to have been threatened for their lives by her ‘bodyguard’ at the behest of Umaa, in an attempt to control and silence potentially outspoken followers and past group members. Some of the supporting allegations are as follows:

1) “We have received death threats for opposing Uma Inder, and we believe we are risking our lives by speaking out.”

2) “I desperately want more information out there about Uma and the group dynamic around her but am very scared for my identity being revealed, especially as I had death threats.”

3) “We have emails by her most brainwashed follower, agent, slave, and sexual abusee in which he makes the death threats…”

4) “Uma Inder described him as a ‘trained killer.’ He threatened to kill me once, and I also saw him threaten to “disintegrate the human form” of another woman, “chop off [the] head” of another, and numerous other threats to kill people in our group.”

In addition, ex-students claim to have been exploited by Uma Inder, compelled to devote their time and money strictly for Umaa’s benefit, under the guise of it being “all for [them].” These ex-members state, for example, that they worked to organize yoga retreats, take care of her property, and run her herbal company called ‘Aranya’, all for no compensation of any kind in return except for “spending time with [Umaa Inder]” and under the threat of mental and emotional violence if they did not comply in order to stay connected to the group.

To read more about these allegations, please visit our website:

[www.familiesagainstcultteachings.org]…/Umaa-Inder-…/

If you have any relevant information to share, either positive or negative, please contact us at: [www.familiesagainstcultteachings.org]…/contact.html

‘Part Two’ of our Uma Inder expose is posting tomorrow, so stay tuned..

Date: November 03, 2017 10:35AM

Part 2 of the exposé is here:

[www.facebook.com]

And then FACT shared this statement from the victims:

We at FACT post this statement on behalf of several of the victims who wrote to our organization regarding Uma Inder:

"We choose to remain anonymous because of concerns for our safety, for our mental health, and of blackmail.

We have an enormous amount evidence backing up every single one of the accusations we have made about Uma to FACT, and we stand behind every single one. We understand our experience and the evidence may seem contrary to others' perceived positive experience. Everyone has a right to their own perception. For precisely that reason, one person's positive experience does not invalidate or negate another's negative experience. While we were in the cult, we would have responded as they currently do. We understand and have compassion for their inability to fathom another perspective because we've been there while in Uma’s cult. Now that we are out of Uma's mind control, we have the freedom and perspective to independently evaluate our experience. As the School of Sacred Arts stated upon firing Uma, "To thine own self be true."

We also understand that many of Uma’s supporters here may have not been involved with Uma to the extent that we were, and may have only had positive experiences of Uma. This is the norm in cults, where the positive, benign aspects are at the exterior and the negative, abusive aspects arise as one becomes more committed, and one recognizes them only as one frees her or himself from mind control.

We also note that there have been many specific allegations, and neither Uma nor any of her supporters have responded to them specifically, only making generalized statements about Uma's character and that of the injured parties.

We iterate that the motive behind reporting Uma to FACT is to create awareness about a person who we believe to be sick and dangerous. We are all on the road to recovery and would like for others to have access to information we did not—thus hopefully preventing future harm."

--------

In addition, we would like to inform you that Rani Gill (a staunch defender of Uma Inder who is constantly commenting on our posts and seemingly attempting to smear the alleged victims) was not allowed to practice law when she contacted our organization on March 17, 2017 requesting a cease and desist action on our Uma Inder expose. According to the New York State Unified Court System’s website, her license had been suspended and as such she was not allowed to practice law at that time in the state of New York, which we believe was highly unethical and unlawful on her part.

Tomorrow we will continue with Part Three of our Uma Inder expose, regarding our analysis of the allegations.

And then Part 3 is here:

[www.facebook.com]

I’ve been reading some of what’s going on there, and man is it an interesting view of cult-mind. People are VEHEMENTLY defending her...& of course looking like brainwashed fools in the process. (Or at the very least, some are well-meaning people who just haven’t been exposed to Uma’s insanity.)

I really hope this information getting out there helps at least a few of them to see clearly and break free.

Posted by: wts ()
Date: November 12, 2017 06:17AM

This seems like a genuine heartfelt statement.

"Uma, we implore you and your followers to deeply question if what you achieved is actually an enlightened state, or a protected, walled-off state of isolation where the basic laws of human decency and empathy no longer apply to you because you are above, beyond, under, and/or over them—and kicking, tackling, pulling hair, throwing people back by the neck, punching in the stomach, slapping, hitting with objects, name-calling, shaming, publicly humiliating, mocking suicidal cries for help, and sexually grinding against a student in an altered state are all seen as "blessings" and completely normalized because…because why, Uma? Because you are truly so "special"? Because you did it "all for love"? We want you to deeply consider and reconsider these actions and see the possibility that they are abuses of human decency and gross violations of the position of power you have put yourself in and demand from your followers...NOT blessings that are destroying a false sense of self (which you claim the authority and knowledge to be able to do). We pray you will see them as your own unowned shadow, begging to see the light.
You have said so many times that "everything has a place," and that the "whole picture" or "whole truth" must be seen by the myriad perspectives that see it. It is easy to find heavy praise about you on the internet. We have felt it incredibly important to also make available the shadow side. We note how hard you have tried to prevent our experience from being shared publicly.
We want your followers to consider this all very deeply. Please remember: we have written and audio evidence for all of these actions, as well as the testimony of far more people than you or your followers want to acknowledge. We are not making any of this up: it would be a horrendous waste of time and precious life energy for us to start a fictitious smear campaign. We do this out of sincere concern for your current and future followers, and desire to prevent harm.
Our genuine hope is that this public exposure of your behavior will inspire deep and searing self-reflection on your actions; on where you may be mistaken; on where you may have done wrong; on the ways you may be deluded--and that you will then profoundly and authentically apologize for the deceptions and abuses you have committed against so many people. We wish for these apologies to come with extensive and detailed specifics--not the evasive, grandiose generalities that are your norm.
Sadly, we recognize that you may not have the psychological capacity for this self-reflection, self-responsibility, or personal growth. We recall you saying in so many ways that you were 'beyond' personal growth. But if you integrate our reflections to you, it would indicate to us a possibility of you changing your ways, and therefore reduce the likelihood of future students of yours undergoing the deception, exploitation, and abuse at your hands that we experienced. Sadly, we expect you to continue your ways, and we consider you profoundly unfit to present yourself or act as a teacher in any capacity. We hope you will prove us wrong.
In the meantime we consider any future employer of yours duly warned and liable for enabling your access to students. Yoga Barn ignored red flags around you for years--we pray others do not do the same.”

The thread responses, continuation of deflections, non-responsive from Uma herself yet fierce fights from her students. And yet, plenty from herself on self correlated mythology and distorted 'TRUTH'.

It really gives clear visibility and insights on the dynamic created and fostered within the group, centred around "The Source".

Date: November 12, 2017 08:41AM

I really pick up on what you say here about "self-correlated mythology." I've checked out her personal Facebook page a few times and man is it dramatic how much she is mythologizing herself, and maintaining that she is the center of the "Truth."

It's interesting the cult members are no longer responding to the FACT threads. What do you think about that? FACT just released a statement saying that's common for cults to go silent at the end, and I gather that FACT has done a lot of these. I'd be curious to know your thoughts.

Date: November 12, 2017 07:27PM

I agree. Over sensationalised centralized around the narcisstic ego.

What do I think of the silence? The 'command centre' has changed the instruction to stop. That's clear from how they all start and stop at the same time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2017 07:28PM by wts.

Date: November 13, 2017 09:35PM

I don't know FACT's conclusion on silence of group members, neither could I speculate what is cooking behind the scene, with the rapid turns of extreme highs and lows.

My hope is that these are sinking in for some self reflections, drives real changes in her life, maybe even go as far as public statement and apologies in a non evasive grandiose manner. Humility and realness.

I do think the whole truth is too much to bear for the fragile narcissistic ego though, and I don't see that happening really. That means deconstructing 'Uma', and the reality of Nina is too painful to face.

Posted by: clarion ()
Date: November 13, 2017 11:43PM

She seems to be head down - I don't know what her response will be. You could really see the shift when her followers 'decided' that it made no sense to post on FACT - after declaring their right to a personal 'truth,' their positive experiences with Uma, their refusal to respond directly to specific questions or address specific claims against their teacher, and their attempts at targeted unmasking of others behind the report. I was particularly surprised by the non-denial of some of the extreme claims made, and the lack of introspection around them. But I was in the group for a while and it took me a while to get out and to think for myself again.

It really is amazing that this all is possible, given the construction of the human psyche. The bond of romantic love, family bonds, and the bond for group identity, all combined, co-opted, and blended into one relationship. The cult is a jealous god - it demands sacrifice. Uma did it, so can you...and it's obvious that Uma has been through a lot of pain, and kneaded that into her yoga - never being enough for her teacher, who was himself physically, psychically, sexually, and emotionally abusive, until she left on her own. The psychological gymnastics of reconstituting that behavior as a 'blessing' were incredibly difficult - probably took a lot to internally shift that narrative within her and adopt a 'no pain no gain' mentality. I wonder if she's seeing this exposure as a 'blessing' - that would be consistent with both her philosophy and reality. It is a blessing for all involved.

There are ways to cultivate spiritual depth without repeatedly bringing a battering ram to the psyche. Furthermore if you can choose your 'truth,' then that degrades the validity of any 'truth.' It just comes down to feeling, to an addiction to chemical and energetic changes within the self, and the means of attaining that state. And if that requires a bond with one specific person, as it did with Uma, adn the expenses of maintaining that relationship keep growing and growing over time, it becomes a huge expenditure of resources for less and less incremental beneift to the self or humanity - and often, more and more cost.

That's where cults are most unethical...when the 'liberation' and gifts to humanity are outweighed by the costs of group membership. When the narrative of helping the world outweighs the actual help given. It becomes another extreme thrill - a drug state, which addicts defend to maintain the fix - the fixation - the connection to the projection of the highest self in an external authority figure.

Anyway, whatever is happening next, the results are weak because an entire part of the narrative is simply being ignored, given the cold shoulder, not responded to. As FACT posted, the 'silent treatment' is one of the chief responses of those suffering from narcissistic personality disorder in response to a situation that doesn't match their view of themselves. And Uma is a self professed master of 'freezing out' 'programs' - IE, sub-human behavioral patterns which do not align with her version of reality - one with her unquestioningly in the center, love her or hate her, so long as the field is getting fed with the life-energies of attention.

Will be good to put this one to bed, knowing that a more balanced truth and a real warning are both available for public consumption.

Date: November 14, 2017 12:23AM

Wts, you clearly have some personal experience with Uma. Would you be willing to share some of what that experience is? I know FACT is also still collecting anonymous testimonies (good or bad) of her, as well, if you’d prefer to share it there. But I’d be really curious to know what you witnessed and felt with her.

Date: November 14, 2017 03:21AM

My experience with her was forced harsh analysis of myself and others. And if I offered my view for open discussion, there was no room but extreme volatile "downing", claiming she was saying what she sees, and that she is "Truth" and she is "Source" and that "This is a blessing". To be honest most of the times it was all vacuous spiels with spiritual jargons and sanskrits thrown in the mix. I heard a lot of how great-full she was, A LOT. It was odd for her to request purchase of consultations, all delivered for the good of 'love'. I saw harsh name callings and infantile rage fits.I do not to wish disclose too many direct personal experience or quotes for safety.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.