Can a cult claim libel or defamation regarding a deceased leader?
Posted by: koisi ()
Date: August 03, 2016 05:20AM

Hi all.

I've written a poem regarding a largely undocumented and deceased cult leader. Were I to post it on the internet what would I have to look out for legally?

The poem basically points the finger at lies, profiteering and corrupt intentions.

The leader isn't named in the poem and only cult followers would know who and what it was about.

Also I believe that titles of works are immune to copyright save for tradmarked names is that correct?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Can a cult claim libel or defamation regarding a deceased leader?
Posted by: gayle ()
Date: August 08, 2016 11:12PM

If you don't name him, you certainly won't have anything to worry about legally.

Even if you did name him, you'd be pretty safe if you could back up what you say. Libel suits are often avoided when the allegedly libeled person is afraid of what might come out in court, and the fact that a suit could bring more attention to the charges, not less.

Plus, if he is deceased, exactly who would come after you?

And you are correct that titles cannot be copyrighted, except for trademarked names.

Re: Can a cult claim libel or defamation regarding a deceased leader?
Posted by: corboy ()
Date: August 09, 2016 06:51AM

Best thing to do is ask a lawyer.

If you cannot afford a lawyer, look up free legal clinics in your area. Public libraries sometimes have them. The local bar association probably has information on that.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.