Question regarding how cults maintain their finances...
Posted by: Moleskine ()
Date: March 25, 2012 02:49AM

Hello everyone. Since this is my first post here on Mr. Ross' site, I'd like to quickly introduce myself - I'm an independent filmmaker, and I'm currently working on my last student film, which is about cults and deprogramming. For on and off over the past year and a half, I've researched and have read books about cults and sects, to the point where I know my short film will be factually accurate.

However, one thing that is creating a logistical issue for the film's narrative is property taxes. If a cult disguises itself as a commune in the United States (or just straight up call themselves a "church"), then do they pay property taxes? I understand that their location would certainly be private property, but in my film, I want my cult to be a small commune (with members ranging up to about 30, but this is tentative to change), where upon joining, members must give the cult everything that can have monetary value. But if a cult is small, purposely remaining under the radar of passer-byers and other public spotlights, then how do they come up with the money to pay taxes?

Perhaps this answers my own question, but I want to ask anyways: based on past cult business ordeals, would a cult like the one I described just put their members to work, and take a part of their paycheck? Thus using those funds to not only pay taxes, but to support the commune overall?

Thank you for my time, and I support everything Rick Ross has done to help give exit counseling, both on these forums and in real life with his helpful site.

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.