Date: February 26, 2007 03:19AM

Hi Does anyone know about these organizations

Reviver Ministries
[www.reviverministries.com]

Fresh Fire Ministry
www.freshfire.ca

Harvest International
[www.him.org]

I have first hand experience that the participants speak in tongues, feel the spirit and exhibit strange behavior. One particular tribute is called the Army of Joel. Anyone assist me with understanding this?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Harvest International and Reviver Ministries
Posted by: billvollrath ()
Date: March 21, 2008 09:26AM

Hello,

The Harvest is a non-denominational, Christian church in Kitimat, BC, Canada. It is under the umbrella of Freshfire Ministries but totally independant in it's carryings on. Reviver Ministries is the personal ministry of Art Lucier, the pastor of the Harvest Church and this part of the ministry is centered around worship music and the band Reviver in which I sometimes play lead guitar. Art is the band leader. I am also a member of the Harvest congregation. I have always been wary of religious organizations that "exhibit strange behavior" as you put it. lol

I guess the behaviour of Christians in many churches can seem a little strange to people unfamilliar with the Christian experience...and some of the "manifestations of the spirit" are still a little strange even to me. But I always told myself I would not let my skepticism of the behaviour of others interfere with my own understanding of God and relationship with Jesus Christ.

I can tell you that virtually all churches are cults if you choose to accept the definition that describes a cult as a religious organization centered around a set of rites or ceremonies.

If you accept the definition of a cult as a religion or sect considered to be false, unorthodox, or extremist, with members often living outside of conventional society under the direction of a charismatic leader then The Harvest, Reviver Ministries and Freshfire are certainly not cults.

We are just people that try not to be too religious as we seek the will of God. We believe that God will show himself to us through each other and that we actually can obtain some kind of holy living. We try to emulate a way of life that is Christ-like, that's all.

We don't think of the church as a building or denomination but rather people preparing themselves to be the bride of Christ upon His return. That may seem a little strange to non-Christians but it is what Christianity actually is.

The only "rule" in our church is that we worship God with all our hearts. If God manifests Himself to someone in the form of praying in tongues, we just accept that it is God's way for that person at that time. It's not a commandment to speak in tongues but rather a gift. Personally, I have not been blessed with the gift of tongues. When I "feel the spirit" my "strange behaviour" is to play my guitar with passion.

I hope that answers your question.

God bless you!

Bill Vollrath ~ AKA: Billy Vee

Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: March 21, 2008 09:39AM

One way to determine if a group or church is potentially unsafe is to look at its behavior and structure.

Does the group have democratically elected government?

Is there a constitution and bylaws that mandate regular elections and hold leaders accountable?

Can a leader be dismissed by an elected board?

Are the finances of the group transparent through regular published and distributed financial reports that disclose all salaries, compensation and expenses?

If a group is authoritarian and its leader cannot be held accountable it may be potentially unsafe.

If members don't know in detail where the money goes and how it is used there may be financial abuses.

Groups called "cults" are typically personality-driven and dominated by a living leader.

How dominant and powerful is the leader of your group?

Posted by: billvollrath ()
Date: January 24, 2012 04:47AM

Interesting! It has been almost 5 years since I found this posting and commented on it! I am no longer a member of the Harvest nor do I have any affiliation with any of their related ministries.

I did however, want to answer some of your questions...

Q: Does the group have democratically elected government? A: NO, the leader is self appointed and the elders are appointed by him.

Q: Is there a constitution and bylaws that mandate regular elections and hold leaders accountable? A: NO, the leader meets with his elders, tells them his vision, they get on board and then dictate the vision to the members.

Q: Can a leader be dismissed by an elected board? A: NO.

Q: Are the finances of the group transparent through regular published and distributed financial reports that disclose all salaries, compensation and expenses? A: They are a registered charity so yes, with some digging you can find some financial statements from the Government of Canada, Charities listings.

Q: How dominant and powerful is the leader of your group? A: He is the supreme leader. Everything must pass through him.

You had noted: If a group is authoritarian and its leader cannot be held accountable it may be potentially unsafe. If members don't know in detail where the money goes and how it is used there may be financial abuses. Groups called "cults" are typically personality-driven and dominated by a living leader.

Indeed! That is correct. Thanks very much! Bill

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.