Indigo and Crystal Children
Posted by: Gulab Jamon ()
Date: May 22, 2006 11:50PM

barabara
Why is the anger directed against the children rather than the adults?

I don't recall anyone in this thread being angry at children. I think my point was very clear - it is the fault of the adults for not raising their children properly.

Posted by: Acid Reindeer ()
Date: May 23, 2006 12:47AM

shakti
Sigh, this discussion has become stupidly simplified and polarized in a way that is beneficial to the Indigo dupes.

not from my end, I don't buy the Indigo Children idea, exactly, however I strongly disbelieve that the current model of giving out Ritalin and psych drugs helps.

regardless of whatever else (lax discipline or whatever) may also not help.

Posted by: barabara ()
Date: May 23, 2006 01:54AM

Gulab wrote:

IMO, "indigo children" is just a fancy term for [b:c1b652313e]"spoiled brats"[/b:c1b652313e].

There is a BIG difference between a beating and simply administering 1 spank or slap to stop a young child from doing something.

Sometimes the only way to communicate to a small child that they are doing something wrong is to physically restrain the child, physically pull them away from a particular object or other person, or [b:c1b652313e]give them a quick slap[/b:c1b652313e].

Have a barf bag handy when you view this site:

Slapping is considered by many experts to constitute child abuse.
Calling children spoiled brats seems to me to indicate a degree of anger at them.

I do not believe in the "Indigo Child" theory, either, but I also do not support [b:c1b652313e]slapping and hitting children[/b:c1b652313e]. Their are other, [b:c1b652313e]more effective[/b:c1b652313e], less damaging ways to teach and discipline children, but [b:c1b652313e]discipline is necessary[/b:c1b652313e].
[b:c1b652313e]Self discipline[/b:c1b652313e], in particular, is necessary for the emotional growth of a child.
Self discipline is not taught by instilling fear and resentment by corporal punishment.

Posted by: kath ()
Date: May 23, 2006 06:26AM

This thread is about Indigos.

[www.indigochild.com]
[i:b33cd978e4]
The designated word "Indigo" has nothing to do with the color of an aura! It is the result of scientific observations by a woman who has the brain disorder called synesthesia.[/i:b33cd978e4]

What is interesting about the indigo concept and what it shows is New Agers' 'different' idea of what science is, as shown above. This I think is dangerous, as it has led to fad diets and all manner of dubious techniques.

The good thing about the concept of indigo is that it is saying there are talents in these children rather than writing them off. Here the new agers might be overdoing it a bit, but they are reflecting a general trend in those suffering with autism etc, towards celebrating 'neurodiversity.'
Love
Kath

Date: May 23, 2006 10:26AM

the description of indigo children reads to me like bright kids who happen to realize their brightness versus a personality trait that exists in and of itself.

two points to add, I had not really heard of synesthesia considered as a defect before. and the autistic online community, the same community thta coined the term, neurodiversity does not really describe themselves as "suffering" from autism because they tend not to consider autism as a disability.

Date: May 23, 2006 03:25PM

Acid Reindeer

two points to add, I had not really heard of synesthesia considered as a defect before. and the autistic online community, the same community thta coined the term, neurodiversity does not really describe themselves as "suffering" from autism because they tend not to consider autism as a disability.

Precisely, they are moving somewhat from suffering, to celebrating.

What I meant in general is individual physical and mental diversity from the norm is being looked at more positively, which is good.

It'd be hard and probably counterproductive to completely deny that having autism, ADHD etc. brings with it difficulties in this world, however.

A bit like myself as someone diagnosed as having Bipolar Disorder going round going 'ooh isn't it wonderful to be depressed' 'aren't panic attacks a marvellous thing, to be revelled in' or something:)

Or even better, deny I'm bipolar and say I'm a Rainbow Butterfly Child.

I'm not sure whether that bit would come before or after I stopped taking my medication:)
Love
Kath

Date: May 23, 2006 03:30PM

Acid Reindeer

two points to add, I had not really heard of synesthesia considered as a defect before.

Where did I use the word defect?

Isn't it strange how in this thread it's hard to stick to the topic of Indigo Children? Could it be that They are influencing our discussion?:D

Love
Kath

Date: May 23, 2006 08:15PM

sorry, I didn't fact-check myself. you hadn't called synethesia a defect. the part of the site you quoted called synesthesia a "brain defect".

we can debate whether or not to call autism a disability, I just thought that I would point out that from most of the perspective of people labelling themselves as on the autistic spectrum, they don't, as far as I can make out. recently I got an e-mail from a man with Asperger's who said that he had never met anyone who regreted having Asperger's. this information surprised me, actually. you can make of that what you will...

Date: May 23, 2006 08:30PM

kath
It'd be hard and probably counterproductive to completely deny that having autism, ADHD etc. brings with it difficulties in this world, however.

yes, so adjust the world, not them or rather us. go back to my example of the left handed students in the Soviet school system.

not sure where this goes with the other thoughts but I have two friends who have autistic brothers (one of the friends has mild Asperger's, too, though she has coped with it pretty well) and they live (or lived -- one of them recently died) lives I wouldn't have wished on anybody.

both of them lived as pretty much prisoners of the house, going out on excursions now and again. not really making a point here, only explaining what happened with them.

Date: May 23, 2006 09:45PM

Acid Reindeer
I got an e-mail from a man with Asperger's who said that he had never met anyone who regreted having Asperger's. this information surprised me, actually. you can make of that what you will...

Those with aspergers often have co-existing depression or anxiety which they would rather be without.
-----------------------

In your next post you say 'change the world, not them' referring to the social model of disability.

I have been very intrigued by this concept for a while, for I wonder how much it can be implemented for mental health problems.

Can you recommend a good website/messageboard etc where I can try and get a handle on this concept?

I can see how it can work for physical health by providing wheelchair access etc and for learning disabilities in providing more time for exams, but can't get to grips with how it would work for mental 'disability'.
Love
Kath

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.