Abundant Life Covenant Church - Springfield MO
Posted by: samp ()
Date: February 21, 2006 07:05AM

Hi,

Does anyone know anything about Abundant Life Covenant Church in Springfield, Missouri? I have read some of their materials (their magazine and their website) and some of the things I've read bother me. They seem to be very authoritarian. I've heard there is little meaningful accountability in the church. They also seems to be into discipleship and submission. They promote the book "Under Cover" on their website. I know they used to be Assemblies of God a long time ago, but the pastor lost his credentials. Might anyone know why? In their magazine they state that Jesus already returned during the time of the apostles, which is Preterist theology. If anyone knows anything about this church, I would like to know more.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Abundant Life Covenant Church - Springfield MO
Posted by: Bobsmith ()
Date: December 29, 2011 05:12PM

I have spent several weeks checking out the church. I have seminary degrees from Bethel Seminary and Winebrenner seminary and experience in several evangelical denominations. I find Abundant Life Church very pleasant and completely orthodox. I understand the founding pastor had disputed the necessity of tounge speaking as a litmus test for true christianity and wound up independant. Currently it is led by pastors who are thouroughly committed to personal holiness. The senior pastor has a delightful gift for bringing the word to life and ability to find the spiritual meaning in scripture. The people are open and friendly. The gifts of the spirit seem welcome. The parking and access are convienient. The specials put on by the youth are not to be missed. They are excellent enough to compete with Branson! Even the coffee is excellent! I am seriously cosidering transferring my membership from the Baptist church in my former location.
Robert Smith. Bethel Theological Seminary St Paul 1985. Winebrenner Theological Seminary Findlay Ohio 1986. (Any alumni plz contact me!)

Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: December 29, 2011 10:20PM

Bobsmith:

Does Abundant Life Covenant Church of Springfield Missouri have a democratically elected church government, i.e. a board elected to fixed terms by secret ballot?

If so does the board have the power to fire a pastor, hire staff and manage its budget?

Is there meaningful financial transparency, i.e. an annually published and independently audited budget distributed to all contributors, which discloses in detail all salaries, compensation and expenses paid out from church funds?

Are such features of accountability mandated through the church bylaws by its constitution or corporate provisions?

As you must know the overwhelming majority of Protestant churches have such safeguards regarding accountability. Many churches also have an added layer of accountability through denominational membership and oversight, which includes such things as educational requirements for clergy and accountability regarding doctrine.

Posted by: Bobsmith ()
Date: January 13, 2012 09:22AM

Structurally it's a typical 501c3 non profit corporation with a board that has responsibility for the property and accounting. The treasurer can be a signer but all checks have to have 2 authorized signatrures to be cashed. There is a second independant bookeeper. Receipts are counted by 2 people together and checks must be signed by 2 seperate people. Rather than print and publish records the financial reports are available in the office for member review. The actual governing is done by an 11 member presbytery which has authority to discipline or remove pastors. For a church of a couple hundred that operates 2 buildings in seperate parts of town and has 3 Pastors as well as diverse other ministry they do remarkedly well.
The church operates under a Biblical model. Like the Congregational (U.C.C. , N.A.C.C.C. and 4C). and Baptist Churchs (which are congregational churchs) they choose their own pastors and have their own requirements. It is refreshing to be in a church where the 'discipline' is handled locally rather than like the large mainline denomination I was a Youth Pastor in where the child preditor pastors were simply moved around to new churches leaving the victims bewildered and depressed.

Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: January 13, 2012 09:13PM

Bobsmith:

You didn't really answer the questions.

Is there a problem answering the questions previously posted?

Is the board elected by all members of the congregation voting by secret ballot?

If not, then how is the board elected?

Is there an annually published independently audited budget, which details all salaries, expenses and compensation paid out from church funds that is distributed to all contributors.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2012 09:13PM by rrmoderator.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.