Pages: 123456Next
Current Page: 1 of 6
Your thoughts on Taakatism?
Posted by: ~*~ k a t e ~*~ ()
Date: June 11, 2010 12:59AM

[taakatism.webs.com]

Came across this website the other day. I have been suspicious of this group for a while but so far they have stayed somewhat under the radar. Thoughts and opinions please? Is this group cultish or just weird?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Your thoughts on Taakatism?
Date: June 16, 2010 01:40AM

bump!

Posted by: Sparky ()
Date: June 16, 2010 05:54AM

I looked at the website you provided. It is short and to the point. It does have a "donate" button but what website doesn't?

I liked their HOLY BOOK. It is 13 pages long and downloadable for free. 13 pages! I wish more Holy Books were that short. From my gleaning, it appears this org is worldwide now from all the international logos but the name sounds like it is Japanese.

From the HOLY BOOK: QUOTE

The Homeless Man
There was a time when I was approached by a drunken
homeless man. He begged me for money so that he could stay
in the same way, so that he could stay drunk. That day he had
made a considerable amount of money begging on the streets,
and had, through various means, managed to be lucky enough
to have several people donate to him. However, he had spent
all the money on alcohol in order to keep himself drunk.
The question is: Would it be wisest to give him more money to
spend on alcohol or deny him such, because we know he will
spend it in the same way, and is doing himself harm? What
would be the wisest, and yet most compassionate course of
action? The course of action I took was to instead spend the
money on some food, which I then gave to the drunken
homeless man. He was not best pleased in the short term,
although he did eat what I gave him. In the long term, however,
I saw him many years later, and he had turned his life around.
One can be wise, compassionate, and yet have compassion for
another's situation. However, one could also say that it is much
easier and far more common to have compassion for a
complete stranger who has fallen on hard times than to
appreciate the good fortune of a friend, or even yourself!
UNQUOTE

This sounds like a normal teaching from standard Buddhism or Christianity. Is this a Christian/New Age/Buddhist group or offshoot? How did you come upon this group? Do you have friends in this group or have you been approached?

Most of their Holy Book is full of parables and proverbs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/16/2010 05:56AM by Sparky.

Date: June 16, 2010 03:18PM

Yes I have been approached. I am suspicious because they are often out and about pushing their 'religion' and yes, their holy book is short. They say it's because it's just meant to be an outline, but in practice it means everything gets twisted to fit whatever they wish. The (relatively) long babbling on about 'collective consciousness' is at best pseudo-scientific. You are right in that they also seem to have stolen a few concepts from Buddhism and the New Age NRMs.

Posted by: DavidXW ()
Date: June 19, 2010 10:48PM

I don't know where you got those funny ideas from, but they are wrong and misleading!
Taakatism is an accepting and peaceful faith and does not preach or *push* on anyone.
The book available online is the core teachings but there are other books - mainly discourses and debates.
The teachings are a basis, if you will. They are not designed to be followed outright. This is true freedom, and the truth of an accepting religion. It can't be more clear that that! To suggest that this is twisting things does simply not stand up to scrutiny. How can teachings which allow freedom of interpretation be wrongly interpreted? There's no way. It wouldn't make sense.
I hope that clears up the obvious confusions and misunderstandings you appear to have about Taakatism.

I wish all the happiness in the world to both yourself and all creatures.

Date: June 20, 2010 08:16PM

They don't preach? They certainly preached to me! It's pretty safe to say the teachings have been twisted when they are interpreted somehow to mean the opposite. Non-preaching becomes preaching. Forceful preaching is hardly freedom.

Date: June 20, 2010 10:01PM

You are so very wrong! we do not preach and never have done!

As the above book says, the teachings are "designed to help [you] discover your own link to this collective consciousness, [but, ...] remember that you and only you can do this for yourselves. {...} You must find what works for you." We emphasise that one must find their own path and progress themselves. Nobody can do it for you. So why would we preach?

It appears you have an axe to grind. Would this be a correct assumption? I don't understand how you can be against people discovering themselves and growing spiritually.

Date: June 20, 2010 10:38PM

DavidXW, I don't see how you can possibly speak for all the members of your group worldwide on what they do and how they approach new members.

It is more than possible that since your group by your own definition is "free" it seems possible that a new member excited by what they believe they have discovered may use their own "freedom" to push a little hard to get others to discover the same thing.

Where was this group formed? Japan?

How are the finances handled?

Since your group is the epitome of "freedom" may I assume giving donations are optional?

Are all the other books and teachings available free to members?

Is there one founding leader in the world?

How are your groups organized? Are there group leaders? If so, what is their title.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/20/2010 10:40PM by Sparky.

Date: June 22, 2010 07:20PM

the religion of Taakatism began in north-eastern India between 1475-1500. Due to political pressures and suppression, Taakatism is now unfortunately a minority religion in India. The umbrella group, the International Taakatism Association is based in London, England and run by a democratically elected council headed by his holiness the 64th Shikara. The council chooses a new Shikara every 8 years. The council handles finances of the ITA. National groups handle their own finances. National groups are also democratically elected in the same manner.
Donations are 100% optional.
The books are not free due to printing costs.
Taakatism was founded by Naabhi Dalajit Gohain, the 1st Shikara.

Now time for questions to you!!!

Why do you have an axe to grind against my religion?
What have I or Taakatism ever done to you? Have I wronged you in some way?
Please answer as I have done for you.
Due to your misunderstandings, I would think it best if you were to read and research if you wish to know about Taakstism.

Date: June 23, 2010 07:52AM

DavidXW

Now time for questions to you!!!

Why do you have an axe to grind against my religion?
Due to your misunderstandings, I would think it best if you were to read and research if you wish to know about Taakstism.

I am more than perplexed by your response. I have only asked for more information on your group and if you know where the monies go. I asked if there is a supreme leader/guru?

You say:"Why do you have an axe to grind against my religion?
Due to your misunderstandings, I would think it best if you were to read and research if you wish to know about Taakstism."

I asked you for help on understanding, but apparently I am being "back-handed" (slapped) by you and told to (in essence) "shut up and do your own research".

If this is the case...YOU WIN! I wanted to learn and hear more, but now your faith considers me and all outsiders "unimportant" for true explaination? Is that right? You will not (probably) gain more members from this site, but you will at least explain your religion honestly and truthfully.

You have done well to define your faith so far. Sadly, you are have done poorly in explaining your religion TO ME. Understand, most of us here like to hear about other faiths and beliefs but an arrogant "slap-down" is not welcome. I am sad we cannot learn more of your beliefs.

If you pay attention to the thread you will find I saw nothing wrong with the teachings and did not consider what I saw on your faith's website as a problem but as a blend of buddhism and christianity. Is Hinduism also a part? I did not mean to slight your faith.

That, of course, was until YOU, as a member in good standing, decided I was out of line in my questions. My questions were honest and NOT TRICK QUESTIONS. Money, leadership organization, etc. is NOT out of line, in my opinion. How else can I better understand an organization which I am unfamiliar with except exploring who is in charge CURRENTLY and how the leadership is broken down?

If you respond to me again, then I thank you.

If you do not, then so much with the way of the world and good luck and success to you in life going forward. I am not a "GOT'CHA!" kind of person. I just want to know more...

Relax. I am NOT your enemy.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/2010 08:19AM by Sparky.

Pages: 123456Next
Current Page: 1 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.