"Love Israel near death"
Posted by: liminal ()
Date: January 30, 2016 11:11AM

[www.king5.com]

When I encountered this group in Seattle, in the early 80s, it was definitely a destructive cult. Now, decades later, the group presents themselves as simply misunderstood. I'm not buying it.

[culteducation.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: "Love Israel near death"
Date: January 30, 2016 11:32AM

In the early 80s I attended an event in Seattle at one of the Love Family's homes. Love Israel was present, other names I recall include Meekness and Submission. Everyone named by Love, the patriarch.
Cult women were not allowed to sit with the men, the only females allowed were guests from the outside. Cult women served and otherwise mostly stayed out of sight.
Drug use was prolific. Some men sniffed glue, and we heard rumors that in the past there had been glue sniffing related deaths.
The men were in robes and were definitely in charge. Love obviously the head patriarch and guru.
I and the other guests felt like we were visiting another planet.
As we left, a woman timidly approached us and asked us for help. She said the women and children were not being treated well. She said the children did not have adequate supplies for the group school. We did not fully understand what she was asking and had no clue to help. I hope she managed to get free soon after.

Date: January 30, 2016 11:38AM

[news.google.com]
Love Israel lived large while women and children suffered.

Date: January 30, 2016 12:04PM

1979 articles that mentions varnish sniffing related deaths [www.people.com]

The sniffing was considered a religious ritual. Logic Israel says in this article that this practice was entirely dropped. This is not true, I witnessed some elders doing this in the early 80s.

Posted by: Jodymcgrody ()
Date: February 04, 2016 02:19AM

I remember reading about them in a news paper in the early 90's. What I remember was the description of disparity between members in how they lived on their commune.
Some members living without electricity, while the Leaders son played Sega in their cabin.
That cured me of even a curiosity visit.
There's always that special message of oneness, then the reality of "rank has its privilege."

Date: February 05, 2016 10:44AM

Love Israel may have lightened his grip on people, or at least changed with the times and become a smoother operator. But he built his group on a cultic, destructive foundation.

Date: February 07, 2016 07:27AM

Love Israel is registered to vote in Washington state. At his address are 6 other people registered who have the surname Israel, including his wife Honesty Israel. Those listed are in their 60s and 70s age wise. Serious Israel, one of the original elders, is one of those names registered.

Date: May 10, 2016 04:49AM

[www.seattletimes.com] Article states Love Israel died Feb 1, 2016.[www.heraldnet.com]

Date: September 21, 2017 05:11AM

For anyone reading up on the Love Family, this source can be valuable:

Robert W. Balch. 1995. "Charisma and Corruption in the Love Family: Toward a Theory of Corruption Charismatic Cults." Pp. 155-179 in Sex, Lies, and Sanctity: Religion and Deviance in Contemporary North America, edited by Mary Jo Neitz and Marion Goldman. Greenwich, CT: JAI Press.

I got a copy through public library inter-library loan.

A quote from a member about the leader Love Israel:

[He would] wake us all up at two or three in the morning, and we'd all come down and he'd have us "duck waddle" around the table and quack. I'm serious ... I remember feeling embarrassed and ridiculous, but that I could overcome my ego. I could do it.

Love Israel/ Paul Erdmann was a charismatic cult leader. He became very self indulgent, his "most significant indulgence was cocaine".

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.