Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Steve Hassan counseling license has lapsed
Posted by: C.A. Mann, PhD ()
Date: January 18, 2016 12:05AM

"Exit" counselor Steven Hassan has been working with a lapsed and expired license since Jan 1, 2016. See the following link from the Massachusetts Board of Allied Health:

[license.reg.state.ma.us]
Division of Professional Licensure: License Search
This web site displays disciplinary actions dating back to 1993.

Lapsed could mean that Hassan has either not submitted the required paperwork required to reinstate his license as current, it could mean that he has decided not to renew, or it could be that the Board is not letting him renew.

Regardless of the reason, Hassan is claiming on his website: freedofmind.com that he is licensed AND follows the rules of the American Counseling Association. Such ethical guidelines state that any licensed professional has an ethical duty to correct any musstatemenrs of their credentials upon first knowing about them.

This means that Hassan has for more that 2 weeks operated as an unlicensed counselor, but portrays himself as licensed.

This represents a risk to the public trust.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Steve Hassan counseling license has lapsed
Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: January 18, 2016 12:12AM

He probably just neglected to send in the paperwork and it will be resolved soon.

Posted by: C.A. Mann, PhD ()
Date: January 18, 2016 12:36AM

No, I don't think so. I have information that suggests he is not meeting some requirements to get it reinstated. Regardless, my point is that this is not being disclosed, and he is essentially operating without a valid license.

Posted by: MonicaPignotti ()
Date: January 18, 2016 03:21AM

It is highly unlikely he just neglected to renew his license - professionals wouldn't neglect something this important and they get constant reminders several months in advance when it's time to renew and he would have received immediate notice that it lapsed. I think something more must be going on here. It would be extremely irrsponsible if he were just being careless and now practicing without a license. This isn't something that people just carelessly forget about because the Board doesn't let them.

Date: January 18, 2016 05:11AM

OK. Time will tell.

Date: January 18, 2016 09:28PM

Please keep everyone here advised. This could be serious or a bureaucratic matter of paperwork and delays. It will be interesting to find out what is happening and how this works out.

Posted by: The Falconer ()
Date: January 20, 2016 10:22AM

Hassan is a lying scumbag. None of this surprises me.

Date: January 22, 2016 01:50AM

It's only been expired for three weeks. You would have to prove that there was a pattern of non-renewal or deception on his part. If he has renewed on a regular basis for years, no lawyer will touch it. The mental health licensing process is extremely complex. No one will take this seriously. You will waste time and energy etc, etc. This matter is a red herring, if you ask me. Are you sure that this is worth pursuing?

Date: January 22, 2016 04:56AM

It's really rather a simple matter that takes very little time.

1. If he doesn't renew his license over a period of months than he is, for whatever reason, no longer a licensed mental health professional.

2. If he continues to advertise that he is licensed professional and he is not, anyone can report him and he will be in trouble.

Not complicated, not time consuming-- it's a few minutes really, just a couple of phone calls, one to check and one to register a complaint.

Date: January 22, 2016 06:29AM

Has anybody made such a complaint as of this time?

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.